Optiarc AD-5280S/7280S/7283S Results & Discussion

vbimport

[QUOTE=jadburner;2656016]Thanks for the info on the Verbs. My last several batches of both the -R and +R have also been sub-par. Sorry for not being more clear on the scanning - you might [B]also[/B] try scanning the same burns with the AD-7280S at 5x. My DW1650 does not always scan as well as it should. Do try the 8x burn when you can - it might help get those jitter levels down too.[/QUOTE]

I have been using the 1650 as a scanner for the last 4 years and I find it to be the best scan-capable drive in my collection but I’m happy to get rid of it if the 7280S is respectable as a scanner, I might decomission the trusty ol’ BenQ :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, plse see the following post #s for historical ref. Same media but different batch:

[QUOTE=txenglan;2656017]I have been using the 1650 as a scanner for the last 4 years and I find it to be the best scan-capable drive in my collection but I’m happy to get rid of it if the 7280S is respectable as a scanner, I might decomission the trusty ol’ BenQ :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, plse see the following post #s for historical ref. Same media but different batch:

260[/QUOTE]

Keep your DW1650 by all means. They’re hard to come by, and they’re good single-layer DVD scanners. Besides, you’ll need the BenQ for jitter reporting. (I don’t trust their dual-layer scans, however.) Since you also have the AD-7280S, I was suggesting that you scan your burns with both, as a cross-check. I never trust my burns to a single scanner, and on occasion my DW1650 has been the odd scanner out.

Your previous posts point to a mediocre batch of Verbs, which unfortunately is becoming the norm. Slower does seem better for these discs on your drive.

I fear that you are correct about the general degradation of quality with Verbs. I am amazed that I was getting better quality burns 5-6 years ago with TY and CMC MAG media! I hadn’t realized that the 1650 wasn’t trustworthy for DL scanning. In fact, one of the main reasons I decided to jump on the BR media bandwagon was that I was having extremely bad scans on DL Verb burns…or it could be that the decline in Verb quality is also applicable to DL…

I got myself a 25-pack spider of Verbatim DVD-R (MCC 03RG20), made in China, and burned a couple of DVDs.

But this result (the best one) can’t be any good, right? Is it because they’re made in China?

[QUOTE=jArc;2656339]I got myself a 25-pack spider of Verbatim DVD-R (MCC 03RG20), made in China, and burned a couple of DVDs.

But this result (the best one) can’t be any good, right? Is it because they’re made in China?[/QUOTE]

It’s…not the best result ever. What was the writing speed? (I’m just curious).

It might be because they’re made in China, but CMC doesn’t always do poor jobs with making media for Verbatim.

[QUOTE=Albert;2656345]It’s…not the best result ever. What was the writing speed? (I’m just curious).

It might be because they’re made in China, but CMC doesn’t always do poor jobs with making media for Verbatim.[/QUOTE]

That one is burned at 4x in ImgBurn.

Below are 4x and 12x, also ImgBurn.

I need some feedback on my DL burns. The one below is the [I]best[/I] I’ve gotten. What do you think, is it good or just acceptable? Burned at 8x.

Note: Optiarc 7280S v1.60 (bitsetting+auto patch) in Delock enclosure (JM20366 chipset) USB2

[QUOTE=jArc;2657512]I need some feedback on my DL burns. The one below is the [I]best[/I] I’ve gotten. What do you think, is it good or just acceptable? Burned at 8x.

Note: Optiarc 7280S v1.60 (bitsetting+auto patch) in Delock enclosure (JM20366 chipset) USB2[/QUOTE]

The result is more than acceptable and is actually very good. What kind and brand of media do you use?

I need some feedback on my Ridata 4x DVD-R DL 4x Burn. What do you think, is the quality acceptable?
[B]MID[/B] RitekP01
The two scans are the same disc.

DL media seems to scan worse than single layer media in many situations.

That said, those scans are unacceptable for use in anything beyond desktop drives with decent error correction. Given the high error rate, especially near the layer break, I would not expect flaw-free performance.

Can you successfully read the media back in all devices you have?

Our DVD recorder (MWR10d6) plays it fine even though it does not officially support DVD-R DL, and my brother’s Laptop which has trouble playing Magnavox (CMC) 16x DVD-/+R discs can play this disc fine without getting stuck during playback. All of my drives play this disc fine. I’ll try 2x next time.

[QUOTE=pepst;2657521]The result is more than acceptable and is actually very good. What kind and brand of media do you use?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, it’s MKM-003-00 from Singapore. So over 90 in quality score is good?

I need some feedback on my Ridata 4x DVD-R DL, burned at 2x this time. What do you think, is this quality acceptable?
MID RitekP01

[QUOTE=AnthonyBourque;2657717]I need some feedback on my Ridata 4x DVD-R DL, burned at 2x this time. What do you think, is this quality acceptable?
MID RitekP01[/QUOTE]

First start scaning @ 5X speed with the optiarc. And second to see if the write quality of the disc is ok, do a transfer rate test.

[QUOTE=kagula323;2657741]First start scaning @ 5X speed with the optiarc. And second to see if the write quality of the disc is ok, do a transfer rate test.[/QUOTE]
Here it again, this time the scan is done at 5x speed.

Two more Transfer rate tests.

Verbatim DVD+R 16x
TNR font
MCC 004/PAPA1 (MIT)
AD-7280S 1.01
Burned at 8x
Scanned on a BenQ 1650 (BCIC) @ 8x

Still not great…

Verbatim DVD+R 16x
TNR font
MCC 004/PAPA1 (MIT)
AD-7280S 1.60 orig
Burned at 8x

Note that everything is same but now with updated 1.60 orig firmware:

Drive: 7280S
Firmware 1.01bt-auto
MID: SONY16D1
Burn Speed: 16x CAV

Verbatim DVD+R 16x
TNR font
MCC 004/PAPA1 (MIT)
AD-7280S 1.60 orig
Burned at 8x

Next burn will be back to 12x but wanted to see if the 7280s “learned” anything from the last burn. Results seem to indicate that it’s debatable: