Optiarc AD-5280S/7280S/7283S Results & Discussion

vbimport

What is the difference between PIErrors and PIFailures?
Are high PIErrors acceptable?

A good place to start is here. Not all the info applies but you will get a good foundation. Try looking at Wikipedia and Google for more info.

[QUOTE=bulletx;2630576]Now you’ve switched back to burning an MCC 004. Comparing it with the 4x burn you posted before, this 12x burn is BETTER. You are very hung up on the Quality Score. It is 93% because you have a single vertical PIF that is 3. [/QUOTE]
Sorry buddy,but my burning scores,according to PIF is the same,93%,no matter what disc I use,and no matter what speed I use.

On my previous Optiarc drives my result was around 97%-95%.
I just have bad drive,and I have to used with it.
My burner is acting strange,to be more precise:when I am burning to speed higher than 6x,burner is starting to burn at 6x for allmost 2 minutes,than it slowing down to 3x,and than speeding up to desired burning speed.

for instance you need to DEFRAG your hard drive, not run other applications while burning, or need to free up at least twice as much space on the hard drive as the amount of data being burned.

Friend,I have PC for 8 years,and I know how to burn a disc,don’t worry. Problem is that my previous drives had 95%-97% score with just one type of disc that I used for years and there was only one burning speed - 4x or maybe slower.
This my new drive is obviosly worse than older drives,because I have to try many discs and many burnig speeds,just to reach similar results that I had with Verbatim MCC 004.

Lastly, unless your earlier drives contained the exact same chip and laser then scans are not directly comparable between different drive models.

I don’t know,I used Optiarc 5240s,it’s scan was 95-97% and with Optiarc 7200A 95-97%. I suppose that both drives are the different chip,so in that case it is clear that 7280s is worse than my older drives.

Optiarc 7280s fw 1.01
Maxell DVD-R sold as RITEK (RITEKF1)
Burned at 8x

[QUOTE=RIA77;2632153]

Optiarc 7280s fw 1.01
Maxell DVD-R sold as RITEK (RITEKF1)
Burned at 8x[/QUOTE]

There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s a great result in terms of PIF, and the PIE isn’t unacceptable.

Your previous drives just scanned differently. This drive can report at 93% while other drives would report 95% or 97%. [It happens with any drive change]. The burning quality isn’t worse. The scans are just different/more harsh. I can promise you that, if in a BenQ or other Optiarc (scanning at 8ECC), the disc you scanned would have gotten between a 95% and a 97%. This drive is not worse than the past drives.

U.S. Digital Media Premium 4x DVD-R DL
RITEKP01
White inkjet printable
AD-7280S 1.01
Burned at 4x

[QUOTE=jadburner;2632523]U.S. Digital Media Premium 4x DVD-R DL
RITEKP01
White inkjet printable
AD-7280S 1.01
Burned at 4x[/QUOTE]

Additional scans. Note that my iHAS324-A and iHAS524-B would not recognize this burn as a valid disc.

What are the available write speeds for Ritek DVD-R DL? Can it burn at 2x speed? I would Like to see a quality scan of Ritek DVD-R DL using AD-7280s

[QUOTE=AnthonyBourque;2632864]I would Like to see a quality scan of Ritek DVD-R DL using AD-7280s[/QUOTE]
I would like to see a quality Disk Quality scan of that media from any burner. :eek:

I haven’t seen scans of high quality burns of DL media outside of Verbatim and Falcon.

Magnavox 16x DVD-R
CMC MAG. AM3
AD-7280S 1.01
Burned at 16x

One More Trasfer Rate Test with Nec ND-3550A

[QUOTE=bulletx;2632870]I would like to see a quality Disk Quality scan of that media from any burner. :eek:

I haven’t seen scans of high quality burns of DL media outside of Verbatim and Falcon.[/QUOTE]

DVD-R DL discs are kind of rare.
Verbatim 4xDVD-R DL 5 pack

3 pack

8x DVD-R DL 5 pack

Taiyo Yuden does have DVD-R DL discs, but the are mostly sold in Japan.
Here are some links:
http://nikonekoya.com/a-v-electronics/recording/dvd.html?limit=15
http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?__mk_ja_JP=�J�^�J�i&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dvd-r+dl&sprefix=dvd-r+dl%2Caps%2C210

[QUOTE=AnthonyBourque;2633956]DVD-R DL discs are kind of rare.
Verbatim 4xDVD-R DL 5 pack

3 pack

8x DVD-R DL 5 pack

Taiyo Yuden does have DVD-R DL discs, but the are mostly sold in Japan.
Here are some links:
http://nikonekoya.com/a-v-electronics/recording/dvd.html?limit=15
http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?__mk_ja_JP=�J�^�J�i&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dvd-r+dl&sprefix=dvd-r+dl%2Caps%2C210[/QUOTE]
I would like to try the Made in Japan TY DVD-R DL and the Victor-JVC DL as well. Shipping gets a little expensive but I may bite the bullet and buy when I need more DL disks after using up my Falcon DVD+R DL’s.

I was not aware of the selection of DVD-R DL’s. I don’t remember anything but DVD+R DL’s last time I bought disks, so this is pretty new to me. I don’t even know if my burners have a specific write strategy for these media!

Thanks for the links. :smiley:

Most dvd writers including AD-7280S support DVD-R DL Media, so I think it is quite unlikely that your dvd writers would not have a specific write strategy for these media.

I have a drive that was manufactured on 3/12 with firmware 1.01. I have tried the version 1.01 firmware (liggy and dee), but an error message comes up (wrong firmware). The version 1.20 does say it may work but I’m unwilling to try it being it is a new drive. Has anybody seen this new drive, or patched it to work? If anybody needs a bin dump, I do have that.

Mark

1.20 should work without problems and I already have a dump for the “new” 1.01 firmwares - I just haven’t managed to patch it. :o

I tried the 1.20 code, and set it auto. unable to set the booktype for +r to dvd-rom. Using imgburn with dvdfab set to autoset booktype comes up with error for Book Type Setting: N/A (Reason: Invalid Command Operation Code).

I hope this helps.
Mark

(Note: The final disk is DVD-ROM from a 4.7 gb)

Drive: 7280S
FW: 1.01bt-auto
MID: MCC004
Burn Speed: 20x CAV

FW: 1.01bt-orig
Disc: 8X DVD-R DL
MID: MKM 03RD30
Made in Singapore
Burn Speed: 8X CLV (graph not available)
This was not a full burn.

FW: 1.01bt-auto
MID: MCC003 LS
Burn Speed: 8x ZCLV

Bought an Optiarc AD-7280s today so that I can get my forgiving Samsung SH-S203B out of my PC and back into my HTPC where it belongs. Planning on using the new Optiarc for DVD burning and my new iHBS312 for Blu-Ray burning. Anyhow, on to the first DVD (MCC 004) burned with the Optiarc @ 12x and second burned @ 16x: