Optiarc AD-5280S/7280S/7283S Results & Discussion

vbimport

Drive on my computer is 2 years old,so in that way,I am not pay attention to its results.
I know that Verbatim disc are not all perfect,but with my previous Optiarc drives,they handle very well verbatim dvd + r discs,better than this Optiarc drive.
7280s FW 1.01
TDK - R (MBI 01RG40)
Burned at 8x

I don’t know where is my verbatim discs made,why is that important ?

[QUOTE=RIA77;2630493]I have 5240s but it is 2 years old,I expect nothing much from that drive.
Burning at 8x was without difference,when compare to 4x,or 6x,just the same…
This is the burning at 6x
http://club.myce.com/f86/optiarc-ad-5280s-7280s-7283s-results-discussion-323148/index9.html#post2629825
and this is 4x
http://club.myce.com/f86/optiarc-ad-5280s-7280s-7283s-results-discussion-323148/index8.html#post2628348
I based my oppinion on 7280s drive of that. Burning disc at 8x or 6x or 4x looks very similar,or should I say - the same.
My older drives haven’t jitter function,so I stick to PIF when I am speaking about quality of burning.

Okay,but I am used to higher results,and I saw that results on this thread. Maybe my drive isn’t capable of burning disc with 97% quality test,I really don’t know. I am afraid that it isn’t capable.
Other people on this thread burned at 4x or 6x and achieved 97% quality scan,or at least 95%,if I am not mistaken.
Thank you for advice for jadburner member. I will remember it.[/QUOTE]
First, you need to dissuade yourself of your preconceptions. As I’ve said, each model of DVD burner behaves differently due to design, parts and firmware. Even burners within the same model may behave significantly differently. Maybe the drive was made by workers hungover from watching football the night before. Maybe the tolerances of the machines was in need of tweaking. You just don’t know and can only pray you get a good drive.

Second, you are comparing apples and oranges in the two scans. You are looking at TWO DIFFERENT MID DISKS as well as one being DVD+R and the other DVD-R. Some drives do not care for DVD-r disks while others are fine - it depends on the write strategies the manufacturer uses in their firmware. We also don’t even know where they were manufactured, which can important concerning quality - disks made in Japan are becoming rarer but usually guarantee the best quality, though disks made in UAE (Falcon MID’s), Taiwan (eg. Verbatims), and sometimes other locations can be excellent quality as well. Do not use these scans to compare anything other than the same MID’s.

Third, I don’t understand your reluctance to burn faster. This is nonsensical given you have been given advice, as well as seen proof in images, of what faster burn speeds can do. If it hasn’t been said already – newer DVD burners do not perform well with the faster rated burn speed disks when those disks are burned at slow speeds. This may seem counterintuitive if you have been burning for years when the slower speeds meant lower errors in the past. But this is today, not yesterday. Today’s high speed burners and fast rated speed disks, such as 16x, burn better at a minimum of 8x and often do well at faster speeds. An example is Falcon TTH02 DVD-R 16X hub printable Made In UAE which burn best in my Lite-On at burn speed = 12x. Anything lower and it either offers no benefit or introduces more errors.

Fourth, if you want consistent high quality disks without worrying about where they were made then buy [B]Taiyo Yuden[/B] which are made in Japan. RIMA.com, SuperMediaStore.com and MediaSupply.com (also on eBay) are authorized retailers of Taiyo Yuden. If you want to further promote high quality burns then purchase [B]TY 8x DVD+R disks and burn at 8x[/B]. These are probably the best universal disks for just about any DVD burner resulting in excellent results. Make sure you buy Premium line and not the Value line wherever you buy them. You can find Silver, Inkjet Silver, and Inkjet Printable DVD disks.

Maybe your drive is mediocre, but you won’t know until you try burning at faster speeds and try different disks other than Verbatim disc DVD-R (MCC 03RG20) since DVD-R disks can be problematic for some burners. The Verbatim DVD+R (MCC 004) may be better disks for you but no one knows until you try burning at faster speeds.

Are you sensing a common theme yet? Try burning at faster speeds!

[QUOTE=RIA77;2630541]
I don’t know where is my verbatim discs made,why is that important ?[/QUOTE]

Yes, made in china is the lowest quality you can get, and the highest is made in Singapore, Taiwan and india are ok.

To give you an example the TDK disc that you have burned is made in india.

[QUOTE=vroom;2630551]Yes, made in china is the lowest quality you can get, and the highest is made in Singapore, Taiwan and india are ok.

To give you an example the TDK disc that you have burned is made in india.[/QUOTE]
I have also read to only get the AZO (dye) Verbatims, not the Life Series Verbatims.

I prefer to take the guess work out - [I]will the Made in India be OK?[/I] - by primarily purchasing Taiyo Yuden, usually DVD+r 8x, from authorized vendors. I have yet to burn a TY DVD+R 8x in a drive and have consistent mediocre burns, let alone poor burns. Every now and then there is a strange burn, such as the top or bottom of the spindle, probably due to shearing forces during transport or handling. The disks are consistently the best dependable of any manufacturer across several burners I’ve owned.

I also like some of the Falcon Pro line Made In UAE (whose DVD+R DL disks are second only to Verbatim’s) and Verbatim AZO DVD disks. I may pay a little bit more but I know the quality I’m getting and there is less guess work or chance involved. :smiley:

Here is an example of a Verbatim DVD-R 16x MCC 03RG20 Made In Taiwan [B]burned at 16x[/B] in an Optiarc AD-7260S and scanned in a Lite-On iHAS524. High PIE’s but nice PIF’s. Jitter is nothing to write home about but isn’t horrible. Quality Score of 95% occurs once you get a single PIF of 2, so 95% is usually top score from Lite-Ons. The Transfer Rate Test is nice and smooth and the disk played in all players/drives tested.

The drive was brand new and died within a couple of days of this burn IIRC.

[QUOTE=bulletx;2630557]I have also read to only get the AZO (dye) Verbatims, not the Life Series Verbatims.

I prefer to take the guess work out - [I]will the Made in India be OK?[/I] - by primarily purchasing Taiyo Yuden, usually DVD+r 8x, from authorized vendors. I have yet to burn a TY DVD+R 8x in a drive and have consistent mediocre burns, let alone poor burns. Every now and then there is a strange burn, such as the top or bottom of the spindle, probably due to shearing forces during transport or handling. The disks are consistently the best dependable of any manufacturer across several burners I’ve owned.

I also like some of the Falcon Pro line Made In UAE (whose DVD+R DL disks are second only to Verbatim’s) and Verbatim AZO DVD disks. I may pay a little bit more but I know the quality I’m getting and there is less guess work or chance involved. :D[/QUOTE]

Life series = Value series. I never had any issues with made in India Verbatim.
TY 8x are excellent media, with a good price. FTI are also very good, but they are hard to find in Greece, you have to try hard to get them.

[QUOTE=bulletx;2630546]First, you need to dissuade yourself of your preconceptions. As I’ve said, each model of DVD burner behaves differently due to design, parts and firmware. Even burners within the same model may behave significantly differently. Maybe the drive was made by workers hungover from watching football the night before. Maybe the tolerances of the machines was in need of tweaking. You just don’t know and can only pray you get a good drive.
[/QUOTE]
I know that there is difference between drives,but of course there should be some quality standards.
I mean that every disc I tried,there is maximum 93% quality scan.
I tried to burned faster,and to burn with different discs,just there is no better scans than 93%…
Right now,I tried to burn with 12x but ImgBurn was slower (Average Write Rate: 12 KB/s (8.7x) - Maximum Write Rate: 17 KB/s (12.9x)
On my previous Optiarc drives,I haven’t so much problems like with this drive. I used only one speed of burning,and only one disc (Verbatim dvd+r (MCC004))
Thank you for your answers,but I just got a bad drive,I think.
Drive 7280s … 1.01 FW
Verbatim disc DVD+R (MCC 004)
Burned at 12x

[QUOTE=RIA77;2630565]I know that there is difference between drives,but of course there should be some quality standards.
I mean that every disc I tried,there is maximum 93% quality scan.
I tried to burned faster,and to burn with different discs,just there is no better scans than 93%…
Right now,I tried to burn with 12x but ImgBurn was slower (Average Write Rate: 12 KB/s (8.7x) - Maximum Write Rate: 17 KB/s (12.9x)
On my previous Optiarc drives,I haven’t so much problems like with this drive. I used only one speed of burning,and only one disc (Verbatim dvd+r (MCC004))
Thank you for your answers,but I just got a bad drive,I think.
Drive 7280s … 1.01 FW
Verbatim disc DVD+R (MCC 004)
Burned at 12x[/QUOTE]

Now you’ve switched back to burning an MCC 004. Comparing it with the 4x burn you posted before, this 12x burn is BETTER. You are very hung up on the Quality Score. It is 93% because you have a single vertical PIF that is 3. A single thin vertical line like this is most likely inconsequential to the quality or playability or security of the data. It also appeared in the previous scan in the same spot and probably is due to a disc imperfection than a burner problem.

To reiterate, the 12x burn scan is an improvement over the 4x burn scan, the 93% is because of a PIF that reached to 3 on the graph, the PIF of 3 is repeating in the same spot so it’s probably the disks, and both disks look good. Lastly, unless your earlier drives contained the exact same chip and laser then scans are not directly comparable between different drive models.

I am glad you are trying different speeds. Try 8x and 16x with the Verbatim MCC 004 disks to complete the testing. Then you’ll know what speed is optimal for those spindle of disks. The next spindle of disks, even if they are the same MID code, need to be retested to make sure you are selecting the best speed.

Imgburn is an excellent burning application. Your burner did reach the maximum burn rate you set it at - 12x. Different drives speed up at different rates based on the write strategy in the firmware and the hardware design. It may seem slower, which could be in part what I just said as well as imperfections on the disk that result in the application slowing the burn speed, but I don’t see anything you’ve shown to be out of the ordinary. A Transfer Rate Test may show an issue that would relate to a slower than expected burn.

I encourage you to try different types of high quality disks in the burner. At this point, I cannot say that your burner is not functioning as expected. It could be it doesn’t like the disks you have fed it or that something else is going on, for instance you need to DEFRAG your hard drive, not run other applications while burning, or need to free up at least twice as much space on the hard drive as the amount of data being burned.

It sounds like you have already made your mind up. If that is the case, get a Lite-On such as the iHAS524 (Newegg $26 total cost), which you saw was used for the scans I just posted. Great burner and it does Jitter scans as well (using a modified Nero CD/DVD Speed). If that doesn’t produce great burn scans with high quality disks then the problem is your computer.

MAM-A 16x DVD+R
MBIPG101 R05 (MII)
White inkjet printable
AD-7280S 1.01
Burned at 4x

[QUOTE=jadburner;2630936]MAM-A 16x DVD+R
MBIPG101 R05 (MII)
White inkjet printable
AD-7280S 1.01
Burned at 4x[/QUOTE]

Additional scans…

MAM-A 16x DVD+R
MBIPG101 R05 (MII)
White inkjet printable
AD-7280S 1.01
Burned at 6x

[QUOTE=jadburner;2630939]MAM-A 16x DVD+R
MBIPG101 R05 (MII)
White inkjet printable
AD-7280S 1.01
Burned at 6x[/QUOTE]

Additional scans…

MAM-A 16x DVD+R
MBIPG101 R05 (MII)
White inkjet printable
AD-7280S 1.01
Burned at 8x

[QUOTE=jadburner;2630941]MAM-A 16x DVD+R
MBIPG101 R05 (MII)
White inkjet printable
AD-7280S 1.01
Burned at 8x[/QUOTE]

Additional scans…

MAM-A 16x DVD+R
MBIPG101 R05 (MII)
White inkjet printable
AD-7280S 1.01
Burned at 12x

[QUOTE=jadburner;2630944]MAM-A 16x DVD+R
MBIPG101 R05 (MII)
White inkjet printable
AD-7280S 1.01
Burned at 12x[/QUOTE]

Additional scans…

MAM-A 16x DVD+R
MBIPG101 R05 (MII)
White inkjet printable
AD-7280S 1.01
Burned at 16x

[QUOTE=jadburner;2630947]MAM-A 16x DVD+R
MBIPG101 R05 (MII)
White inkjet printable
AD-7280S 1.01
Burned at 16x[/QUOTE]

Additional scans…

Drive: 7280S (Manufactured in July)
FW: 1.01* (101bt_orig, for bitsetting DVD+R and DVD+RW* )
Disc: Verbatim 16x DVD-R
MID: MCC 03RG20 (Verbatim)
Burn Speed: 24x* CAV

with Liggy’s and Dee’s modified NEC and Optiarc firmwares: http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/

*Verbatim MCC 03RG20 will burn at 20x max with the firmware that comes with AD-7280s.

Edited with MediaCodeSpeedEdit tool for a few changes:
DVD+R
CMC MAG E01 -000 8x to12x
CMC MAG M01-000 16x to18x
MCC 003-000 8x to 12
TDK 003-000 18x to 20x
YUDEN000 T02-000 8x to 16x

DVD-R
CMC MAG. AM3 16x to 18x
MCC 02RG20 8x to 16x
[B]MCC 03RG20 20x to 24x[/B]
PRINCORGM1 16x to 24x
MXL RG03 8x to 16x
MXL RG04 16x to 18x
MXL RG05 16x to 18x
MXL RG06 16x to 18x
MXL RG07 16x to 18x
TTH01 8x to 16x
TTG02 8x to 16x
TYG02 8x to 16x

Anthony:

Nice PIF’s on the 24x burn of the MCC 03RG20 on Liggy’s modded firmware. Whole lot of PIE’s but no POF’s. Smooth Transfer Rate Test.

I’ve had re-writable DVD disks with PIE’s like this and were perfectly playable in my players.