Optiarc AD-5200A

vbimport

i have seen the Optiarc AD-5200A drive for a very cheap price (15.99$)

http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/en/exhibits/half-height-drives/ad-5200a

i understand that the drive don’t have DVD-RAM support

read some where that was a disable in the firmware

the question is can the drive be crossflashed to 7200A to enable the DVD-RAM ??

[QUOTE=websh;2189129]i

the question is can the drive be crossflashed to 7200A to enable the DVD-RAM ??[/QUOTE]

I think no, but no real lost, RAM is the weakest part of all NEC burners nearly useless, cause they read RAM not reliable and sometimes corrupt the data. Tested with several NEC drives checksums are sometimes different rereading big files from the drive. A shame NEC isn’t able or willing to fix it, cause they know this since years. Pioneer drives with same chipsets doesn’t have that RAM reading bug. Luckily for NEC no reviewer until yet revealed that (or even noticed that problem).

well i don’t seek the DVD-RAM more than i want to know that the the 5200x and the 7200x has the same hardware inside

cause the 5200 is cheaper than the 7200 so why bother buying it for more money ha ?

Besides RAM support it’s the same hardware.

since it has the same hardware then it can be crossflashed i think
and since i can RMA the drive even if the crossflash went wrong ( lucky me )

i’ll buy one and try to crossflash and report back for the result

For a crossflash for example of the Pioneers you need a firmware with bootkernel, simply flashing a 7200 firmware will not work, the firmware will not accept the 5200. I may be mistaken but I never heart that such a firmware of an 7200 is existing, and I never heart of a crossflash. Maybe you can ask Liggy our NEC expert.

i’ll wait then for Liggy or Dee to to tell me if that is possible

BurningFish is correct.
720x firmware alone, won’t work on a 520x, you also need a bootcode and, we don’t do bootcodes for obvious reasons. :wink:

We also don’t want to hear about people RMA’ing crossflashed drives.

We also don’t want to hear about people RMA’ing crossflashed drives
well that was pretty aggressive
clearly that was a joke - i put lucky me between brackets means ha-ha-ha-

anyway it is misunderstanding - sorry

i’ll wait then for Liggy or Dee to to tell me if that is possible

if i can RMA That easy why wait for a confirmation reply then

and for a lite-on drives we used to crossflash any thing with the same internal hardware
so i thought it was a common thing

clearly not for the NEC though

sorry if i annoyed any one
i was just eager to know the possibles i have

and since the crossflash is not possible for the 5200A (with the bitsetting firmware ) make the same quality burns as the 7200x ?

It should have the same results as the 7200, it’s the same hardware.

thanx vroom
i’ll post some scans if i buy this drive in the next few days

[QUOTE=websh;2189496]and for a lite-on drives we used to crossflash any thing with the same internal hardware
so i thought it was a common thing

clearly not for the NEC though

sorry if i annoyed any one
i was just eager to know the possibles i have

and since the crossflash is not possible for the 5200A (with the bitsetting firmware ) make the same quality burns as the 7200x ?[/QUOTE]This thread may explain some things. :wink:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/nec-nd-3550-4550-4551-nd-3570-4570-4571-ad-5170-7170-7173-5200-7200-7203-discussion-thread-166962/

This thread may explain some things.

oh my god
didn’t know that it hold this kind of situation
seems that i hit the red button without me knowing (explains the aggression i guess)

i understand completely now and i will never ask about this issue again

hope one of the mods close this this thread for no further conversation in this matter occurs

sorry DEE for this
i didn’t search the forum well for that matter
next time i’ll try to be more careful

How to upgrade AD 5200A that will be support lightscribe?

Tx

How to upgrade AD 5200A that will be support lightscribe?

Tx

did u read the thread well ?
there is no answer to this question here
and the lightscribe function is a hardware pice inside the drive so even if the cross flash is possible the LS function will not work

You need to get rid of the 5200A and get the 7201A instead.

I´m sorry, I did not know. I was thought that firmware limitation. But why the Nero Info tools show up, that the software for lightscribe not installed and option for lightscribe?

Nero has LightScribe capabilities, but needs to have a drive that supports LightScribe in order to use it.

[QUOTE=BurningFish;2189132]I think no, but no real lost, RAM is the weakest part of all NEC burners nearly useless, cause they read RAM not reliable and sometimes corrupt the data. Tested with several NEC drives checksums are sometimes different rereading big files from the drive. A shame NEC isn’t able or willing to fix it, cause they know this since years. Pioneer drives with same chipsets doesn’t have that RAM reading bug. Luckily for NEC no reviewer until yet revealed that (or even noticed that problem).[/QUOTE]

OK, this is the most disturbing post I have ever read on cdf! Thank you so much for revealing this!

So am I understanding you right: With Optiarc drives, if I copy a file from a DVD-RAM disc to my HDD, then it’s possibly not 100.0% the same single bit for single bit on the HDD as on the DVD-RAM disc?

OK, are you 100% sure, that this is the case with real 7xxx drives too and not with 5xxx drives upflashed with 7xxx firmware only???

OK, this is the most disturbing post I have ever read on cdf! Thank you so much for revealing this!

So am I understanding you right: With Optiarc drives, if I copy a file from a DVD-RAM disc to my HDD, then it’s possibly not 100.0% the same single bit for single bit on the HDD as on the DVD-RAM disc?

OK, are you 100% sure, that this is the case with real 7xxx drives too and not with 5xxx drives upflashed with 7xxx firmware only???

well it seems to be true
i tried some Maxell MIJ DVD-Ram and it came with horrible results
the best drive in dvd ram i used was the pioneer DVR-111L and the litty’s

i used to have a simple file comparison application and it failed to match the files copied all the time

i used to think it was a power problem till i got and Antec 800watt PSU and got the same result and then read this here and stopped using NEC drives for DVD-Ram