Optiarc AD-5170A read speed too low

I have two of these drives. One of them is cute, does what you say, the second one has a problem, its read speed is too low! DMA is enabled. What I tried: cleaned up the drive (not first time, so I was gentle enough :wink: ), the lense and etc. Nothing changed. What should I do?
P.S. When I first insert a DVD, it searches for the first readable sector and recognizes it. While recognizing I can hear that the motor speeds up loud but abnormally slows down immediately after that.

Are these drives new - usually they come with speed limiting firmwares.

Are you making the comparison with the same CD or DVD disc? .

Drives aren’t new. As for the firmware I changed it to 1M1 by DEE. Nothing changed. And yes, I’m making a comparison with the same media. Maybe the laser strength went down?

Are both these drives in the same PC?
Are they both connected to the motherboards IDE controller?
These drives require an 80 conductor IDE cable and the correct DMA mode is UDMA4.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;1917882]Are both these drives in the same PC?
Are they both connected to the motherboards IDE controller?
These drives require an 80 conductor IDE cable and the correct DMA mode is UDMA4.[/QUOTE]

1Q. Yes.
2Q. Yes, namely ICH7.
3Q. Yes, UDMA4.

For peace of mind I can tell the only difference between the drives’ behavior and it’s normal working one keeps the motor speed high for a time after media recognition, whereas the problematic one slows down right after recognition as if it has no strength to carry on :slight_smile:

The slowdown after it reads the disc would suggest its having a problem reading the media.
If the disc is a pressed disc, then the drive is probably faulty. If the media is a burned disc, then it could be the burn quality is marginal and one drive is just a better reader than the other.

Dee, thanks a bunch upon feedback. Today I checked and found out that this drive even can’t read its own burnt discs (i.e. errors on every sector right from the start). Which is as you say - the drive’s faulty. But here’s my ultimate question: Could I exchange the malfunctioning part of this drive from another NEC drive? Coz I have some broken spare NEC drives (3550, 7170). Or is there a possibility to do something with it (i.e. increase laser power, etc.)

You could try cleaning the lens, that’s about as much as you can do. If the laser or lens is faulty, replacing it without specialized alignment/calibration equipment will be near to impossible.

Not a good idea to try increasing the laser power either. :slight_smile:

I also didn’t say the drive was faulty if it can’t read its own burns, that could mean the disc has been written badly. Try and read a pressed DVD-ROM/Video disc.