Optiarc 7203S Intel Sata problem

vbimport

I have Optiarc 7203S drive connected to Intel ICH9R SATA AHCI controller and when I try to burn with Nero, it gives me Invalid Block Address error at the very beginning of burn. What gives?
Additionally I have also a possibility to use JMicron JMB363-controller onboard, would I get better results using it instead of Intel’s controller?

How did you configure your ICH9R? SATA, AHCI or RAID? I’m running a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R with my ICH9R set to AHCI and my AD-7201S attached to it. I can read, burn and even dump or flash my firmware this way. Maybe you could also try to use one of the other connectors. In case of RAID mode it could be that the first four connectors don’t handle optical drives properly because they’re expecting HDDs.

Haven’t used the JMB363 myself but it’s worth trying if you can’t make it work on the ICH9R

[QUOTE=Liggy;2146247]How did you configure your ICH9R? SATA, AHCI or RAID? I’m running a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R with my ICH9R set to AHCI and my AD-7201S attached to it. I can read, burn and even dump or flash my firmware this way. Maybe you could also try to use one of the other connectors. In case of RAID mode it could be that the first four connectors don’t handle optical drives properly because they’re expecting HDDs.

Haven’t used the JMB363 myself but it’s worth trying if you can’t make it work on the ICH9R[/QUOTE]

It’s set to AHCI and I have installed newest Intel Matrix Storage Manager. It can read ok, but failed at once when writing… Mobo is DFI’s DK X48-T2RSB PLUS.

I don’t use the Matrix Storage Manager but I just installed the latest drivers that were available when I installed Windows a few months ago.

What is the MID of the discs you’re trying to burn. You can find out by using Nero Disc Speed and looking at the “Disc Info” tab.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2147033]I don’t use the Matrix Storage Manager but I just installed the latest drivers that were available when I installed Windows a few months ago.

What is the MID of the discs you’re trying to burn. You can find out by using Nero Disc Speed and looking at the “Disc Info” tab.[/QUOTE]

MCC 03RG20. Sold as Verbatim 16x -r.
Have worked perfectly with this drive on my old motherboard.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2147033]I don’t use the Matrix Storage Manager but I just installed the latest drivers that were available when I installed Windows a few months ago.[/QUOTE]

Problem solved. Not surprisingly, the finger turned to point into Intel’s Matrix Storage Manager. I uninstalled it and reinstalled the Intel’s latest chipset drivers. Works like a charm!

Unbelievable, that even today, many firms have so buggy SATA-, ATA-drivers… I did like to think, that Intel is on top of their game, but seems it isn’t so:p
Well, you live and you learn:bigsmile:

I’m glad that I came across this post, I feel better about my new parts that I’m waiting on - a 7200-S and Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (very similar to Liggy’s P45 Giga board) .

Just so I use the latest Intel AHCI driver the Optiarc and Giga board should work nicely together. I waited a while before upgrading to this new board because I was hoping that finally most of the SATA / optical drive issues would be worked out by now (later Intel chipset, drives). I have been lucky that my current 680i NForce board and LG h62n SATA burner work well together - but the HD activity light constantly flashes ever since the h62n has been installed (if it’s disabled in Device Manager the HD act light stops flashing, so that’s been an annoying SATA burner “quirk” that I have been putting up with - much better than so many of the much worse SATA burner issues but still annoying, won’t miss the HD light constantly flashing)…

it seems that i made good choice (from reading all of the various cdfreaks forums) going with the 7200-S . I’ll still have my Ben-q 1640 but I’d like to soon replace it with a SATA drive as well - so I can finally get away from IDE all together (turn off the IDE controller, less over head / drive usage overall) - but the Ben-q I won’t replace until it dies (or if the 7200s dies 1st, ha). :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to setup the new board / cpu / 7200s (my N-lite prepared XP sp2 install disc is ready to go <the mid October Intel AHCI driver slipstreamed>).