Optiarc 7203s does not recognize DVD+R DL media

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7203S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Ok. recently bought a Gateway computer that has the Optiarc 7203S drive. I have Windows Vista Home 64 bit edition with Nero 9.0, Ashampoo Burning Studio 8, and Alcohol 120%. My device manager tells me the drive is connected va SCSI connection. After researching the capabilities of this drive, I download some HD movies that I have in .iso format. I went out and bought the Memorex DVD+R DL media to burn these. The system does not recognize the disc, although it has burned single-layer DVD-R media without a problem, through all 3 programs. I downloaded the 1.06 firmware update, but get the Target not recognized error. I gownloaded the modified Dee’s firmware update, but it’s a bin file and I cannot mount the image or otherwise extract it, and there were no other instructions. All programs and Sony’s specs page show that this drive accepts DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media. Please help!?!

Bill

The driver write DL disc, but it is possible that no all dvd dl disc are supported!
For the bin firmware, i think you must use a real dos floppy disc, with binflash program!
Cobra70

There is also a possibility that Alcohol 120 is causing a conflict. Try removing Alcohol (completely) and try again.

You also need [B]Binflash[/B] to flash your drive with a .BIN file.

Ok, wow, thanks for the quick responses. I uninstalled the Alcohol and Ashampoo burning programs and restarted the computer. Still no dice - Windows and Nero do not recognize the disc.

cobra: are you saying that I should try different brands of media, such as Phillips or Maxell?

I found the binflash instructions and download page, but i click the 1.45a version links and nothing happens. This is not a pop-up blocker of some kind, just nothing happens.

I saw the links in my searches earlier for the dvdinfo program, so I downloaded and here is a screen shot if this will help:

OK. figured out the binflash with the modified flash file, and it is now upgraded. But still no dice.

[QUOTE=bspargur;2170836][qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7203S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Ok. recently bought a Gateway computer that has the Optiarc 7203S drive. I have Windows Vista Home 64 bit edition with Nero 9.0, Ashampoo Burning Studio 8, and Alcohol 120%. My device manager tells me the drive is connected va SCSI connection. After researching the capabilities of this drive, [B]I download some HD movies that I have in .iso format.[/B] I went out and bought the Memorex DVD+R DL media to burn these. The system does not recognize the disc, although it has burned single-layer DVD-R media without a problem, through all 3 programs. I downloaded the 1.06 firmware update, but get the Target not recognized error. I gownloaded the modified Dee’s firmware update, but it’s a bin file and I cannot mount the image or otherwise extract it, and there were no other instructions. All programs and Sony’s specs page show that this drive accepts DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media. Please help!?!

Bill[/QUOTE]

The 7203S is a SATA drive.
The used SATA controller & its settings count.

Also, I think its better to buy HD stuff instead downloading it.
And not to forget, the Memowrecks DLs are a waste.

cobra: are you saying that I should try different brands of media, such as Phillips or Maxell?

I can see this dvdrhelp link!
The same disc “Memorex”, have many difference manufactures!
You can see different mediacode from:
Philips
Ricoh
Ritek
with different version e release!
I think is possibile that your memorex DVD+R DL have a mediacode that is not included in the mediacode strategy of the your Optiarc 7203 firmware!

You can try that disc in another dvd writer (different brand and model) to test the real manufacture!
Cobra70