Optiarc 7173S +R DVD not playing on Philips DVD 956

vbimport

Hi,

I’ve been using my new Optiarc 7173S to burn DVD ISO’s on +R media. Somehow these refuse to play on my old Philips DVD 956 player which just opens the tray after trying the disc for a while.

What I’ve done so far is:

[ul]
[li]Flash firmware - Liggy’s AD-7173S Bitsetting Firmware 1-02
[/li][li]Set the Booktype for all + media to DVD-ROM
[/li][li]Checked for media compatibility. I’m using TDK-003 media which is compatible afaik[/ul]The DVD’s do play on some of the other (PC based) players we have. So the question is: how to burn em so they do play on the Philips 956? Or is that model just too old (bought it around 2000/2001 I think)
[/li]
Regard,

Raz.

Could you check a written DVD+R with Nero CD-Speed if the booktype was really set to DVD-ROM on this disc? Some burning applications tend to set different booktype values on their own when writing a disc.

I’d never used that tool before. Seems to be set ok:

Disc Quality gives me (no idea how to interpret this):

General Information
Drive: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7173S
Firmware: 1-02
Disc: DVD+R (TDK 003)
Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
Maximum: 3433
Average: 26850.35
Total: 473657
PI failures
Maximum: 1478
Average: 3384.38
Total: 477621
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 1:08
Number of samples: 422
Average scanning interval: 7.99 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

Scanning the disc using the burner gives me loooooads of damaged and bad spots, progress is too slow to let it run its course. Scanning it with another drive progresses slightly better, but shows 5%-10% errors.

Conclusion: broken burner? Or something else?

Raz.

[QUOTE=dmrazor;2009449]I’d never used that tool before. Seems to be set ok:[/QUOTE]
Booktype looks OK and should be the most compatible setting.

[QUOTE=dmrazor;2009449]Disc Quality gives me (no idea how to interpret this):

Scanning the disc using the burner gives me loooooads of damaged and bad spots, progress is too slow to let it run its course. Scanning it with another drive progresses slightly better, but shows 5%-10% errors.[/QUOTE]
While the 7173 series is not a good scanner, the results obviously show that the error rage is way up too high to generate a disc that is readable in some way.

[QUOTE=dmrazor;2009449]Conclusion: broken burner? Or something else?[/QUOTE]
It’s hard to tell now whether it’s a problem of your discs (did you try other brands already?) or your burner or even something completely different.

[QUOTE=dmrazor;2009297]Hi,

[B]I’ve been using my new Optiarc 7173S to burn DVD ISO’s on +R media.[/B] Somehow these refuse to play on my old Philips DVD 956 player which just opens the tray after trying the disc for a while.

[/QUOTE]

How have you created that ISOs?

chef… I didn’t create the ISO myself, it’s a download.

But… I’ve done some research and tried a different brand of media like Liggy suggested.

With Maxell DVD-R media (RITEKF1) I initially burned the same ISO at 8x speed and got a good result. So I also tried 8x speed with the TDK DVD+R media to make sure it wasn’t just a speed problem, but with the TDK’s it still didn’t work.

I then burned a Maxell DVD-R at maximum speed which also gave a good result.

So, it looks like my burner either has a problem with TDK media, or with DVD+R in general. Does that make sense?

Raz.

These days I would avoid TDK media. They went down the same path like Ritek did…