Optiarc 5170A DVD-R reading problem (multisession only?)

I record in multisession using Verbatim DVD-R 16x 4.7gb.

The problem is that after I have recorded the DVD in multisession with Nero 7.9.6.0, when I try opening it I get this message:

“Disk is not formatted: Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows”.

I am writing with the default options - DVD-ROM (ISO), ISO 9660 + Joliet, Level 1 length.

Now the funny thing is that actually the drive manages to read the DVD, like once in every 20 tries, or after I have tried inserting some other DVDs. Seems to happen in multisession only. The DVD-R works just fine on other PCs!

Any clues?

Forget Ms on DVD, you will always get trouble with it.

Well, I just checked some closed DVDs I’ve written before and the problem appears on them, too. I’ve been using the same Verbatim 16x DVD-Rs for like an year now and this issue appeared just recently.

Could it be some sort of technical malfunction?

Don’t think so, Mulitsession on DVD is unreliable and buggy.

Now I’m sure it’s not just multisession. [I]It happens with every DVD I burn! [/I]

I just burned a [B]closed[/B] DVD-R and it was perfectly readable after the process was complete. After I restarted the PC, however, I have the same problem again! The DVD-R is readable on my other notebook computer.

Please, help! If you need any more info, let me know how I can provide it and I will post it here.

The drive seems to have random problems with this media:
Verbatim DVD-R 16x, MCC 03RG20

What baffles me is that the newly recorded DVD is perfectly readable just after the process, but not after taking in out and putting in back in the drive, or after restart. I know this media is supported by the firmware, I’m with the latest Liggy’s AD-5170A Bitsetting Firmware 1.12 RPC1

:sad:

Then update the ide drivers.

I’m with the old ASUS A7V333 motherboard. I installed the latest VIA Hyperion drivers, didn’t help. Other suggestions?

This DVD reading problem is really random. I once managed to read a DVD upon restarting in safe-mode, but then could not do it again on the next restart :confused: