Opti Drive Control "No drives found" !?

vbimport

I have three computers - main, backup, and emergency. Main computer is multi-booting and is currently running under XP, and backup and emergency computers are both running XP also.

Opti Drive Control (V1.70) has been installed in all three computers.

ODC was working OK in all three computers initially, but I now get “No drives found” error message on my backup computer every time I try to start/run ODC.

It is suspected that the problem started after my backup computer started to shutdown by itself into standby/sleep mode yesterday when running a new optical drive (GGW-H20L). Suspect a problem with the power cable, SATA data cable, or the SATA port on the motherboard which caused the unexpected shutdowns.

This sudden shutdown to standby/sleep mode may have corrupted some files, including ODC (registration) files?

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled ODC several times, and I’ve run a registry cleaner, and I’ve also reset the BIOS, but ODC still continues to give the “No drives found” error message when starting it. Then it shuts down after clicking on the OK button on the error message!

BIOS and Windows detect and run all (three) optical drives, so there must be some issue with ODC files somewhere(?)

Any ideas about getting ODC to run again on my backup computer?

Did you consider that the drives are dead? Have you swapped the drive to test if the drive is the problem? Windows can see a dead drive but that doesn’t mean it will work. Did you also place these drive in another computer that doesn’t have ODC installed to see if they work or not properly?

I did mention that the three drives did “run”. I played a DVD on all three drives without issue.

ODC is currently not installed (on the backup computer).

I did notice something a bit odd though. Device Manager reports that the physical HDD is present and working normally, but under Computer Management and then Disk Management, the HDD is missing altogether. ONLY the three optical drives are shown. Also I am unable to run a chkdsk via command prompt and also via disk properties/Tools/Error-checking/“Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”, I get a message “Windows was unable to complete the disk check”.

That suggests an issue with the system somewhere.

Currently running anti-malware programs and see if they pick up anything.

[QUOTE=meeshu;2783989]I did mention that the three drives did “run”. I played a DVD on all three drives without issue.

ODC is currently not installed (on the backup computer).

I did notice something a bit odd though. Device Manager reports that the physical HDD is present and working normally, but under Computer Management and then Disk Management, the HDD is missing altogether. ONLY the three optical drives are shown. Also I am unable to run a chkdsk via command prompt and also via disk properties/Tools/Error-checking/“Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”, I get a message “Windows was unable to complete the disk check”.

That suggests an issue with the system somewhere.

Currently running anti-malware programs and see if they pick up anything.[/QUOTE]
Only real test is take it out of the system it is currently in and hookup to another system to test the drive function. That way you eliminate the drive problem out faster.

Anti-Malware programs picked up a couple of (minor) issues, but there was still a problem getting ODC to run.

Suspected system was corrupted due to sudden shutdowns to standby/sleep mode recently.

Deleted and reformatted boot/program partition on HDD, and re-installed Windows XP. ODC now works fine!

Tested all three optical drives in situ again, and they all seem to be OK also.

I recently had a problem which I thought was also due to corruption, and restoring a known good backup image fixed the problem temporarily. I restored the backup image that fixed the problem for about 4 weeks after which the problem recurred. In my circumstance a hard drive would sometimes appear in the bios and sometimes not. I dual boot WinXP and Win10 each on separate drives, and the Win10 drive was the only one affected by the problem. Finally I ran memtest86 that found no errors with memory and Seagate Seatools to check both hard drives resulting in 1 dirve passing test and 1 drive failing test. The drive failing test was the 1 with Win10 on it. Finding the bad drive was ultimately the fix for my problem and might be for yours as well. I suggest testing memory and hard drive(s) just to make sure.

Thanks. I forgot to test the single HDD which has two partitions.

I ran the HDD manufacturers disk test utility and also ran chkdsk. Both reported no issues with the HDD.

I forgot to mention that the optical drive GGW-H20L which seemed to cause system shutdowns in my backup computer was relocated into my main computer. The drive worked OK in my main computer.

As mentioned in my initial post, it is suspected that there is/was a problem with either the SATA port on the motherboard in my backup computer, or the SATA cable, or with the power connector to the drive. As yet I haven’t determined what the problem was as I’ve been busy with other things.

Since the optical drive was removed, there have been no further issues with my backup computer (after reinstalling the operating system).