Opti Drive Control -- by Erik Deppe

Unfortunately the 1.70 update still has not fixed the problem with scanning BD-R media on LiteOn iHBS112-04 drives without using the workaround that I discovered (See link below). I hope this gets fixed soon.

http://club.myce.com/f142/workaround-ihbs112-04-opti-drive-control-quality-scan-problem-325102/

This version looks promising. It also supports Jitter on BD media :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=ErikDeppe;2640082]I think this drive is a rebadged LiteOn iHBS112. In that case you should be able to use it for disc quality scans.[/QUOTE]

Greetings Erik. Thanks for the kind reply.

1. Tried the latest 170 build without success. The workaround suggested by kth also failed to work.

2. It is stated in the manual that

“For BDs the following parameters are measured:
LDC (Long Distance Code): number of parity errors on LDC codewords per ECC block (32 sectors)
BIS (Burst Indication Subcode): number of parity errors on BIS codewords per ECC block (32 sectors)
On a good disc the average LDC should stay below 13 and BIS should stay below 15.”

In CDRInfo’s "Blu-Ray Writing Quality Tests Vol 2 ", this is taken to mean Average LDC (upper limit 13) and [I][U]Average BIS[/U][/I](upper limit 15). Is this correct?

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=25532&PageId=25

1. But "According to c’t magazine http://www.heise.de/ct/ for a quality BD-R burn, the average LDC should stay below 13 and the [I][U]maximum BIS[/U][/I] should not exceed 8, so these results qualify as good."
    How did these numbers (average 13/max 8) come about?

See for example this:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/forums/finding-good-media-ldc-bis-error-scans-t25358.html

Appreciate if you could kindly clarify.

Many thanks and best regards.

Hi guys,

I would like to buy a bluray burner and I want to do quality scans. Would the Lite-on IHBS212 or IHBS312 do the job, or is there something better?

Thanks,
steve b

[QUOTE=memory;2523528]@ Erik Deppe

cd-dvd speed 4.7.7.16 vs. opti drive control 1.47

are there different formulas codes to caculate the jitter?
the difference of jitter are repeatable.
the jitter speed are both 8x.

cd-dvd speed 4.7.7.16
jitter:
avg: 7.26%
max: 7.8%

opti drive control 1.47
jitter:
avg: 7.7%
max: 8.7%

what is the more precise jitter, cd-dvd speed 4.7.7.16 or opti drive control 1.47?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=memory;2587284]next…

cd-dvd speed 4.7.7.16 vs opti drive control 1.51
same media, same drive, same speed, all the same but difference, why? :confused:
the results are all reproducible.[/QUOTE]

again… for odc 1.70… the same jitter problem for blu-ray… :confused:
opti drive control set the jitter too high.
the difference of jitter are repeatable.
the jitter speed are both 4x.

…next… for odc 1.70…

the fe-te test for bd-r don’t work.
error code 052400

PlexUtilities without problems.

Greetings to all,

I purchased a BD-5300S a week ago. It is not doing Blu-ray quality scans with Opti Drive Control - or at least doing it unreasonably slow (0.01x).
The drive is spinning up (as of the noise to the configured speed) and then Opti Drive Control just advances ultra slow. Position 12MB after a minute. Somewhere near light speed :slight_smile:

Sony Optiarc BD-5300S-03 Firmware 2.01 and 2.03 (rebadged LiteOn iHBS112?)
Opti Drive Control 1.48 and 1.70
BD-R 16x VERBATIMe (000) recordable or purchased movies

I have tried it with three completely different systems and different operating systems on them (different chipsets, processors, drivers, BIOS, Win 2K/XP/7, SATA ports). It would surprise me if all these systems would have the same problem. Thus I think the system is not the problem.

Disabling jitter or lowering the speed in Opti Drive Control does not help.
The workaround posted by kth (see post #260) does not work.

CD and DVD quality scans are working fine.

Nero DiscSpeed 7.0.2.100 is working fine.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Opti Drive Control\OptiDriveControl\Optiarc BD RW BD-5300S:
“BD speed list”=“DD 35960,26970,17980,8990,4495"
“Read seconds CD”=dword:00000000
"Write seconds CD”=dword:00000000
"Write discs CD"=dword:00000000
"Read seconds DVD"=dword:00000125
"Write seconds DVD"=dword:00000000
"Write discs DVD"=dword:00000000
"Read seconds BD"=dword:000001b4
"Write seconds BD"=dword:00000000
"Write discs BD"=dword:00000000
"BD speed"=dword:0000118f
"DVD speed list"=“DD 22160,16620,11080,8310,3324”

People are reporting that their BD-5300S is scanning with Opti Drive Control. I suspect that older BD-5300S models worked fine. Now, with newer firmware versions (>2.0 perhaps) or with a new hardware/chipset version, there are compatibility issues.
There are at least two models around, the BD-5300S-0B and the BD-5300S-03, running significantly different firmware. Probably because of significantly different hardware.

Opti Drive Control is just great. I would very much like to use it. As a workaround DiscSpeed will do.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Frolic;2652163]Greetings to all,

Sony Optiarc BD-5300S-03 Firmware 2.01 and 2.03 (rebadged LiteOn iHBS112?)
Opti Drive Control 1.48 and 1.70
[B][U]BD-R 16x[/U] VERBATIMe (000) recordable or purchased movies[/B]

[/QUOTE]

That doesnt look right.

What Do you mean? The 16x? The media is 16x. It gives very good results with the 6x burn speed of the BD-5300S. Also tested in c’t magazine, 19/2011, page 104.

Frolic

This media is rated 6x, not 16x!

Oh yes. You are right. It is 6x. (The DVDs from Verbatim I have are 16x.)

Good share. I will try it later.

Opti Drive Control 1.70 can’t open imgburn files. :eek:

I have no issues opening IMGBurn graph files, did you go on the IMGBurn settings a select ODC?
You can use also the default windows application and select ODC to open the *.ibg files.

Opti Drive Control 1.50 can open imgburn files. :bigsmile:
Opti Drive Control 1.51 can open imgburn files. :slight_smile:

Opti Drive Control 1.70 can’t open imgburn files. :confused:

Could you add support for BDXL? Thanks!

“Drive does not support this function” on all my drives.

Liteon iHBS112 2 (PL01 fw)
Samsung SH-S202J (SB02 fw)
Liteon SHW-1635S (YS0Z fw)

Tried ODC 1.70 (with Wine… Linux version would be awesome :bow: )
All three drives scan fine in Nero CDSpeed and KProbe.

Try the workaround that I found (see link below) on your iHBS112 2. You should be able to do disc quality scans with ODC.

http://club.myce.com/f61/workaround-ihbs112-04-opti-drive-control-quality-scan-problem-325102/#.UJF4DsXA-WY

[QUOTE=Mastus;2661953]“Drive does not support this function” on all my drives.

Liteon iHBS112 2 (PL01 fw)
Samsung SH-S202J (SB02 fw)
Liteon SHW-1635S (YS0Z fw)

Tried ODC 1.70 (with Wine… Linux version would be awesome :bow: )
All three drives scan fine in Nero CDSpeed and KProbe.[/QUOTE]

In comparison to what happens under Windows:

The LiteOn DVDRW drive should be supported, no problem. It won’t scan jitter, but it will at least start the scan [then throw an error at the end of the scan when asked to report jitter].

The Samsung DVDRW should also be supported, no problem.

…Well, you get the gist. ODC should perform like CDSpeed & KProbe. Maybe someone has better tips for setting ODC up under Wine emulation?

Hi Erik, I am a big fan of your software, congratulations, :clap: it was actually my favorite up to the point where I could not scan overburned DL media :frowning: it freezes or crashes, that was around 16 months ago.

With out the box overburn facilities now in the market (OPTIARC AD5280S-CB PLUS) would it be possible to add the function to read/scan an entire overburned disc (when read with an overburned enabled drive) to your next revision?

Do you use the Save-Options for pre-naming the saved files?
I try to do it but it is a little bit buggy (creates the subfolders but does not open the windows dialog there).

But my biggest problem is that the available pattern codes are not enough (I miss something like %L for the disc-label or do not give enough freedom (%D).
I wish %D would be in a format yyyy-mm-dd and not dd-mmmm-yyyy

Any idea why ‘<’ and ‘>’ disappear when I use them in a pattern?