Opti Drive Control -- by Erik Deppe

vbimport

Greetings!

Nero CD-DVD Speed has been discontinued and Nero DiscSpeed is no longer available as a free standalone program (it’s only available with Nero). All Nero Toolkit software is going to be removed from the cdspeed2000.com website.

But the good news is, there is a new tool in town called Opti Drive Control authored by our own Erik Deppe. (http://www.optidrivecontrol.com)

The tool has similar functionality but is more accurate and will be updated regularly. There are still some functions missing but they will be added in later versions.

PS: Opti Drive Control is not a freeware. However, we have been using CDSpeed/DiscSpeed for a very long time and Erik has tremendously support us cdfreaks members with his disc quality scanning tool over the years so I’d like to urge everyone to try ODC (30 days trial) and report issues, suggestions and comments in this thread. Thanks!

In what way is the new tool “more accurate” ?

Does it or will it support disc quality scanning on true Plextor drives?

BTW I consider the removal of already released free tools to be really bad news! :frowning:

EDIT: There is no information on the Opti Drive Control site on whether payment covers only the exisiting version, all 1.x versions, or all future versions. I consider such information important.

Judging by the downloadable manual, there is nothing like the Advanced Disc Quality scanning for DVD media available in CDSpeed/DiscSpeed - only for CD media.

I haven’t had time to test the tool itself yet.

Version number should be 0.1.0 or something like that.
Scanning a DVD with my Benq is causing 100% CPU load - I can hardly move the mouse :eek:
No advanced DVD scanning options available for the Benq here.

CD scanning looks nice (advanced with Benq), system stays responsive.

On a German Windows NT5.0, the files are stored in “Eigene_Dateien” instead of “Eigene Dateien” (which is the default documents folder)

As Drage already mentioned - what does the payment cover? Major updates or is it a lifetime payment? And I hope Erik gives discounts for freaks like us… :wink:

I also do hope that there will be better functions for this utility than the used-to-be-freeware Nero CD/DVD/DiscSpeed to justify the cost (and yes, Sanyo Plextor scanning support will be a great bonus).

:eek:
Here we go again testing another disc program.:bigsmile:

I stand corrected - the program does allow for Sanyo Plextors scanning but in the CD Bler test Jitter wasn’t reported at all. The C1 errors reported are also really low - I haven’t tested this disc previously but this is the lowest error rates I’ve seen from a non-TY disc.

Here’s a cheap local CD (with a Sony MID - the closest I had at hand) to test the features out. Next up is a previously burned DVD. :wink:

Observations:

MID info:
CD MIDs are displayed with my LG writer, DVD MIDs are not (both Verbatim MCC004 & T03) ImgBurn has no problem for both disc types.

TRTs with DVD Video disc worked.
TRT with VideoCD did not (Yuden CDR) (got error code 256400)

Will keep plugging away though.

DVD scanning with my PX-716UF and VMWare Fusion doesn’t complete - the application crashes just before the screenshot is automatically saved. :frowning: Time for another test run…

Some nice new features in there. Multiple tests and auto file saving looks good to me.

Here we go again testing another disc program.:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]Well, testing ends after 30 days. :bigsmile:

Excellent, a new tool to play with. :cool:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2277897]…Scanning a DVD with my Benq is causing 100% CPU load - I can hardly move the mouse :eek:…[/QUOTE]
Same here with a slim LiteOn doing a quality scan. This would have to be fixed before I could even think about using this tool.

Also the graph colors are not to my liking. Some choices would be nice. :flower:

Using the DVD scanning with any drive (LiteOn/BenQ/Plextor/etc) causes 100% CPU usage. The CD scanning works well though, although as I reported before Jitter doesn’t work with a Premium-U which is kinda sad.

I just got a reply from Erik which is helpful in answering a few queries about this program - it seems like 1.10 is just around the corner (in a few days) which fixes the 100% CPU usage bug, and that he’s working on DC Jitter to work on Plextor drives.

To directly quote his reply regarding the license:

The license covers one year of free upgrades (regardless of the version) 
and/or all minor upgrades (ie. 1.xx).

…which I would’ve wanted to be a bit longer because it’s $25/€20, but I really can’t complain since he’s putting a lot of work into this. :flower:

Can’t wait to see how the application matures. :smiley:

Opti Drive doesn’t seem to always burn at the speed selected and it’s not the drive dropping back, as the 7200 seldom does that.

One burn started at 4x and when I pressed stop, the drive just keep on spinning, with the light on (stop button grayed), but when I pressed eject, the disc ejected, and Opti Drive crashed with a GPF.

I would also like to say that cd scan has a few issues, i selected 48x with my 7240S and the scan was done at 4x.

I can’t say that I’m very happy about the discontinuation of CD-Speed, although it was to be expected. There haven’t been new versions of CD-Speed for a while and Nero is becoming increasingly strange.

I haven’t had time to try OptiDrive yet- maybe this weekend. From a quick look at the manual, there are some things that I like ( possibility to save results as a csv file, additional info on hours of use). However, the option to use an iso or nrg file for a test disc seems to be gone and we’ll have to see if it’s able to read recording information (drive and speed trace) from CD-Speed discs.

And by the by, Erik has outed himself as the author of Plextools! (see the banner on his new site).

G

[QUOTE=MediumRare;2279000]There haven’t been new versions of CD-Speed for a while and Nero is becoming increasingly strange.
[/QUOTE]

I purchased Nero v6 a while back (obviously). But I haven’t bothered to install it for a while as I haven’t really felt a need to use any of the functions in Nero. Other apps have worked “well enough” for me.

But out of curiousity I downloaded and installed the trial version of Nero 9. [U]GOOD GRAVY![/U] Longest install time of any app I’ve run across! EVER!

Yes, strange. [B]Very[/B] strange.

[QUOTE=MediumRare;2279000]And by the by, Erik has outed himself as the author of Plextools! (see the banner on his new site).
[/QUOTE]

I’ve primarily been using the last version of Plextools that I know of (Professional LE v3.13, right?) in spite of a number of annoying bugs in it.

I’m not trying to point any fingers at Erik as I’m of the opinion that the reason those bugs are still there is probably because Plextor apparently abandoned Plextools … probably as a “cost saving” measure. :doh:

Plextor IMO has also turned very strange.

Buuuuuuut … yes I think I’d be willing to pay something for a non-buggy equivalent of Plextools. Especially if it extended support to future versions of Windows or … be still my heart! … other, alternative operating systems.

More to the current point, I think I’d be willing to pay for Opti Drive Control as soon as it does something more for me than the current tools I’m still using.

But for now I think I’ll hold off on paying until I can at least change the window size of the app. :rolleyes: The “1 year support period” is also a reason to wait IMO. The earlier I hand over my money the sooner I find myself having to hand over more money to get an update/bug fix.

Just my personal two cents FWIW …

-irrational john

P.S. Is there an explanation which I could be pointed to as to why the Disc Quality function is “not supported” for my Plextor PX-760A? Speaking from the uninformed bleachers, I naively expected that when I paid more to get a Plextor I’d be able to [I][U]do more[/U][/I] with it. So it’s pretty surprising to find out I have to switch to my Sony Optiarc AD-7240S to run a test function.

Ditto.

[QUOTE=MediumRare;2279000]However, the option to use an iso or nrg file for a test disc seems to be gone and we’ll have to see if it’s able to read recording information (drive and speed trace) from CD-Speed discs.[/QUOTE]

I was also looking for that “function” - I sometimes use CD-DVD Speed to test batches with prepared ISOs so as to minimize disc wastage. The program does recognize the drive used to burn the disc with (using the Disc Info tab), but the “speed trace” made by CD-DVD Speed can’t be utilized by Opti 1.00 under the Disc Quality test.

I think 3.16 is the latest/last PlexTools XL version.

:iagree: I’ve been wanting a Mac OS optical disc utility for quite some time now, but fortunately I have VMWare to take care of that since there are no alternatives. It would be sweet though to have it run native, even under Linux if it’s possible. :slight_smile:

It’s supposed to do more, but it’s still in its infancy. There’s no assurance though that more features will be added - there’s only so much you could do with optical drives anyway.

Just wait a bit, good things come to those who wait… :smiley:

It’s buggy! :frowning: Erik’s still quashing those bugs and working on making Plextor-centric features to function correctly. If you read a few posts up I also had the same problem with Jitter reporting and crashes.

[QUOTE=zjohnr;2279059]Speaking from the uninformed bleachers, I naively expected that when I paid more to get a Plextor I’d be able to [I][U]do more[/U][/I] with it.[/QUOTE]

If you wanna [I][U]do more[/U][/I] with it use PlexTools. :wink: Opti Drive Control won’t encompass the myriad of functions PlexTools has - it’s more of a CD-DVD Speed replacement with Plextor compatibility.