Opinions on my 812S Kprobe Scans?

Just received my 812S, manufactured in Feb 2004.

I backed up the installed US03 firmware then installed US0A which was the latest on LiteOn’s website.

First tested was Maxell 4X -R bought OnSale at Office Depot.
Identified as: MXLRG02.

Burned and scanned at 4X.

All the scans below are from a movie backup that was about 3.7GB

After my tests, the Maxell -R’s are what I think I’m going to do my movie backups and VHS transfers to.

Next Tested was Ridata 4X +R.
These were purchased at Office Max and identified as: RICOHJPNR01.

Also burned and scanned at 4X.

Next Up was some Ritek’s that came free with the drive from NewEgg. They were 4X -R’s Identified as RITEKG04.

Burned and scanned at 4X.

Not sure why all the statistics didn’t capture as I’m sure they were there when Kprobe ended.

Next Tested was a Memorex 4X +RW purchased from Office Max and identified as Philips 041.

I tested several of these and they all died before completion with an “Unrecovered Read Error”

Can someone please reccomend a decent 4X RW + or - thats available locally in the USA in packs of 10 or less?

I also tried some 4X Fuji +RW’s that identified as Ricoh and these died with simular errors before Kprobe would complete.

Help!!

This was a Ridata/Ricohjpnr01 +R that was burned on a 411S at 4X with FS0J firmware then scanned on the 812S.

I no longer have the 411S so I can’t scan any of the 812S disc’s on it.

The following will explain how to interpret your scans.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80545

I think that these scans (with the exception of the RW with a CRC error) look fairly good. Better than acceptable, I’d say.

This was one of the NewEgg RitekG04 -R’s burned at 4X on a 411S and scanned on the 812S.

I’d appreciate any comments on the performance of the 812S as well as my decision to use the Maxell 4X -R’s for my important long term burns.

Again I would also appreciate a reccomendation on locally available in the USA 4X RW + or - that is good quality media.

Thanks for any/all comments.

And in response to your +/-RW question…

+RW is technically superior. If you do use RW, I’d definitely recommend +RW over -RW.

I have a RICOH media code 4x +RW (Maxell brand) that works nicely. I just got a pack of 3 Memorex 4x +RW discs (PHILIPS). I’ll test them when I get the time. But if you head over to the media tests forum, you’ll see that people seem to have very good results on Philips and Ricoh/Ritek +RW discs on LiteOn burners.

Originally posted by code65536
people seem to have very good results on Philips and Ricoh/Ritek +RW discs on LiteOn burners.

Maybe I just have bad luck with +RW’s, when I still had the 411S I tested it on the Fuji (Ricoh) and the Memorex (Philips) 4X +RW discs and they both failed on it before Kprobe could complete.

That was mostly the reason the 411S was returned, I thought maybe it just had problems with RW media for some reason.

Both of these RW’s would read back fine in Nero after being burned but just wouldn’t complete a Kprobe scan.

I thought the scans from RW media may never look like the two I have at the top of the thread but I’d feel better if they would at least complete a Kprobe scan.

What do you think of my thoughts on using the Maxell -R’s over the Ridata +R’s for my movies and transfers? They both look like good scans to me but I feel like may get a bit more compatibility with Standalone Players with the -R’s.

Hmm. Maybe it is just bad luck. I dunno.

As for Maxell -R vs. Ridata +R… have you tried burning the Ridata +R at 8x? My burns on RICOHJPNR01 media (strangely) turn out better at 8x than 4x. For that matter, have you tried your Maxell -R at 8x? I’d be curious just to see the result. :slight_smile: But anyway, from the scans, I think that they both look nice. I can’t say much about standalone compatibility, as that seems to vary from standalone to standalone. Plus, I do most of my burning for data backup, and I watch all my DVDs on my computer (no sense in having a TV in a cramped dorm room when a computer works just as well :)), so I’m afraid that I can’t comment on standalone compatibility.

As for Maxell -R vs. Ridata +R… have you tried burning the Ridata +R at 8x? For that matter, have you tried your Maxell -R at 8x?

Not so far, just installed the 812S tonight and these were my first scans. Didn’t look to see on the Ridata but the Maxell -R only showed 2 and 4X on the Nero speed pulldown so looks like its locked on this firmware.

I mainly bought a DVD burner to have a place to put my VHS home movie captures. So burn quality and longevity are my main concerns.

Any chance the Maxell +RW Ricohs will be any different from the Fuji +RW Ricohs I tried? I mainly want the RW’s for data backups that change and for trial runs on my capture setup.

Originally posted by offroad
[B]Not so far, just installed the 812S tonight and these were my first scans. Didn’t look to see on the Ridata but the Maxell -R only showed 2 and 4X on the Nero speed pulldown so looks like its locked on this firmware.

I mainly bought a DVD burner to have a place to put my VHS home movie captures. So burn quality and longevity are my main concerns.

Any chance the Maxell +RW Ricohs will be any different from the Fuji +RW Ricohs I tried? I mainly want the RW’s for data backups that change and for trial runs on my capture setup. [/B]

Yea, it’s locked in the firmware. But you can change the firmware… :wink: The RICOHJPNR01 probably wins the “4x media that’s most commonly burnt at 8x” award. See my sig.

There may be a chance that it’s different. Media with the Ricoh code is all made by Ritek, and Ritek is a HUGE manufacturer with plants in various different countries. So it may be possible that discs from a particular plant in country A will work better than those from a plant in country B. But then again, that might not be the case. It’s hard to say.

I have a RICOH media code 4x +RW (Maxell brand) that works nicely. I just got a pack of 3 Memorex 4x +RW discs (PHILIPS). I’ll test them when I get the time. But if you head over to the media tests forum, you’ll see that people seem to have very good results on Philips and Ricoh/Ritek +RW discs on LiteOn burners.

Hmm. Finally did a scan of my Philips-code vs. Ricoh-code RW discs. Turns out that the Philips-code discs (Memorex) that you had problems with actually worked better for me on my 451@851 than the Ricoh-code. Both disc types burned and read fine, but the Memorex had much lower errors.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=567513#post567513

Your RICOHJPNR01 scans are on par with my drive… They are pretty good results seeing that they dont hit the 100 mark…

Originally posted by offroad
[B]Next Tested was a Memorex 4X +RW purchased from Office Max and identified as Philips 041.

I tested several of these and they all died before completion with an “Unrecovered Read Error”

Can someone please reccomend a decent 4X RW + or - thats available locally in the USA in packs of 10 or less?

I also tried some 4X Fuji +RW’s that identified as Ricoh and these died with simular errors before Kprobe would complete.

Help!! [/B]

The same problem.With TDK 4x+RW KProbe progres bar ends on 99%
and shows: 031100 UNRECOVERED READ ERROR ta the bottom of window

When veryfing after burning NERO ( 6.3.1.6 ) shows OK!
Programs burned on this TDK4x+RW disc are looking good and seem to work.

So, what means the message: 031100 UNRECOVERED READ ERROR.
What kind of error is it? And what to do with it
Anybody could help?

Originally posted by Hypnosis4U2NV
Your RICOHJPNR01 scans are on par with my drive… They are pretty good results seeing that they dont hit the 100 mark…

Thanks for the feedback, good to know my drive is performing well compared to other 812’s.

Looking forward to OC-Freak’s review of the 812S soon. I’m very happy with this drive so far, and would be fine using either the Ridata +R’s or the Maxell -R’s I tested on it.

Sure wish I could find some decent 4X RW media to use however as my drive does not seem to like the Ricoh or Philips +RW I have tried.

Have you had any better luck with RW media on your 812S?
Does all RW media just suck or what? Never had these kind of problems with CDRW media.

Anyone else have any suggestions for good RW media? I only a small quantity say 10-15 and would like to purchase locally in the US if possible so I can return if I’m unhappy.

Thanks.

Im caught in the middle with this drive… Only because it boggles me how bad my scans were when I burned with the 811S and scanned with the same drive… Now I scan those same burns with my 812S and the results are outstanding… Makes me wonder whether or not the 812S is burning better or worse than the 811S…

Now I scan those same burns with my 812S and the results are outstanding… Makes me wonder whether or not the 812S is burning better or worse than the 811S…

The discs I burned on a 411S then scanned on the 812S look pretty good. I no longer have the 411S but the scans I did of its own discs looked good as well.

I mainly returned it due to the awful luck I was having with RW media but the 812S is having the same results so I’m pretty sure it was just crap RW media quality.

Maybe the 811S just didn’t read its own discs very well?

We’ll find out soon I hope.

I posted some interesting results with RICOHJPNR01 burned @ 4x using US0F firmware…

Click here!

Pretty good results…

[B]I posted some interesting results with RICOHJPNR01 burned @ 4x using US0F firmware…

Click here!

Pretty good results… [/B]

Great Results.

I don’t have anymore RICOHJPNR01 to test on US0F.
Here are my results with Maxell -R 4X on US0F, not quite as good as with USOA but still a pretty nice burn.