Opinions, greatly appreciated...did I get TYs with these Fuji 8x?

[LEFT]I’ve been roaming around checking out some “Big Lots” type independent merchants to see what I might be able to dig up. Well, today I found a place that had a stock of Fuji 8x + & - R 15 packs for $5.00 (.33 per disc) with original Eckerd Drugs price tags of $7.99 ea.

When I used Nero to check the MID, this is what was disclosed for the +R:

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info Basic Information Disc type: : DVD+R Book Type : DVD+R Manufacturer: : unknown MID : YUDEN000 T02 (000) Write speeds: : 2.4 X - 2.4 X - 4 X - 6 X - 8 X Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB : 4482 MB : 4700375040 bytes Extended Information Layers : 1 Write strategies : 0 X - 0 X Disc Status : Empty Raw Data Physical Format Information (00h) 0000 - A1 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3F 00 00 00 00 - …&.?.. 0010 - 00 00 03 59 55 44 45 4E 30 30 30 54 30 32 00 38 - …YUDEN000T02.8 0020 - 23 54 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - #T… 0030 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - … 0040 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - … 0050 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - … 0060 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - … 0070 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - …

And for the -R:

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info Basic Information Disc type: : DVD-R Book Type : DVD-R Manufacturer: : unknown MID : TYG02 Write speeds: : 2 X - 4 X - 6 X - 8 X Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB : 4489 MB : 4707321856 bytes Extended Information Layers : 1 Usage : General Copyright protection : n/a Recorder information Disc Status : Empty Raw Data Pre-recorded Information in Lead-in (0Eh) 0000 - 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 87 0D 10 66 78 80 00 - .@…R…fx… 0010 - 03 54 59 47 30 32 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - .TYG02… 0020 - 05 AA A2 22 22 20 02 00 18 05 18 00 04 D7 05 00 - …""… 0030 - 18 EE 90 7C 78 FB 90 7C FF FF FF FF 71 FB 90 7C - …|x…|…q…| 0040 - 18 6A DD 77 51 6A DD 77 00 00 15 00 02 00 00 80 - .j.wQj.w… 0050 - 2C 00 00 00 18 00 00 00 2C 00 00 00 3C D7 05 00 - ,…,…<… 0060 - 40 00 01 00 0B 00 00 00 44 D6 05 00 4E 00 4E 00 - @…D…N.N.

Both indicated the manufacturer ID as being unknown. Although, when I ran both through DVD Identifier, this is what was shown for the +R:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:YUDEN000-T02-000] ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R] Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.] Manufacturer ID : [YUDEN000] Media Type ID : [T02] Product Revision : [Not Specified] Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)] Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x] ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- [ DVD Identifier V5.0.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for the -R:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG02] ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R] Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.] Manufacturer ID : [TYG02] Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)] ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- [ DVD Identifier V5.0.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the visible appearance of the packaging and discs: The outer ring label says MIT below the UPC on both. Base of both spindles is gray. There was no paper label under the lid, and I could see MIJ printed on the top of the 1st disc itself. No spacers on top, but a single thick round, white foam spacer is located at the bottom of the stack. Another thing, the first disc or 2 in each spindle has lots of speckling on the recording side (my first, albeit very, very limited, experience of seeing this with Tys).

I’m not going back for any more till I burn a few and, hopefully, get some much needed and appreciated reassurance from those with more experience and knowledge with authentic Tys than myself. Thanks very much for indulging my curiosity about what I’ve purchased…treasure or dross.

Happy New Year! [/LEFT]

[QUOTE=acecorder;1965589]

MID : YUDEN000 T02 (000)

MID : TYG02 [/LEFT][/QUOTE]

Those are some fine Taiyo Yuden discs.

Good find! A few years ago, any Fuji DVD discs where the package label stated Made in japan were genuine TY media. Since then, Fuji stopped using TY and most of the old TY stock had been purchased by savvy shoppers.

[QUOTE=acecorder;1965589][LEFT]I’ve been roaming around checking out some “Big Lots” type independent merchants to see what I might be able [/LEFT][/QUOTE]

That is a great find. I am still using the FUJI 8X TYs I bought a couple of years ago. I have not had any problems with the Fujis that I burned from a couple of years ago. I am getting close to running out so I have been collecting Sony TYs.

I am curious as to which specific store where you found these. I will have to visit my local Big Lots type merchants also.

Thanks for the providing a new place to search for TYs.

Nice :clap: My very best YUDEN T02 was Fuji brand TY media

dreamliner77, RWP, s0ccerb0y, andBurnsama

Thank you very much for the replies! I’m trying to be one of those savvy shoppers who manages to load up on more fine TY discs…and with help from y’all, I’ll do it with a lot more confidence. :bigsmile:

[quote=s0ccerb0y;1965613]

I am curious as to which specific store where you found these. I will have to visit my local Big Lots type merchants also.

Thanks for the providing a new place to search for TYs.[/quote]

Glad I could offer up a potential new source for you!

The place I found the Fuji 8x is called “CLOSEOUT GIANT”. They’re located in the southern part of San Diego County, CA.

I’m not sure, but I think they might be a little flexible on the price if I go back and take 10+ spindles. If they have them when I return tomorrow, that is? :wink:

I’m looking forward to being able to say that, too. :smiley:

Thanks again to each of you!

Hands down, for me at least, are the white “lacquer” finish of the Sony TY’s. Love em. They too are just about extinct.

[QUOTE=cbboy777;1965717]Hands down, for me at least, are the white “lacquer” finish of the Sony TY’s. Love em. They too are just about extinct.[/QUOTE]

People report that Staples still has lots of 25-pack 8x MIJ + Sony spindles which are TY, but in my area they have disappeared some months ago, and Sears doesn’t have them. Just now I was in San Francisco, visited CompUSA on Market Street (all CompUSA stores are closing, including this one), and found one 50-pack 8x MIJ + Sony spindle with the white octogonal spacer and paid just over twenty bucks!

Just an update: Burnt a few of the 8x Fuji TYs and they played fine indeed. :smiley:

Needless to say, I went back to “CLOSEOUT GIANT” and grabbed the few remaining 8x TYs they had (no discount but I’m happy at 33 cents per).

All they have left now of the Fuji 8x are MIT. I bought one just to see, and it’s ProdiscF01 with a black spindle and different, thicker lipped lid.

They also have 2 different style packages of MIJ Fuji 4x 5 packs in jewel cases. A medium blue cardboard box or a plastic wrap pack. They’re $5.00 each with no further discounts…and, man, did I try.

Any ideas on the codes for those, and would they be worth grabbing at that price?

Thanks!

Fuji 4x DVD+R made in Taiwan should be RICOHJPNR01. The 4x DVD-R will be TYG01 if they are made in Japan.

IMHO 8x +R TY T02’s are the best discs ever made and the Sony TY’s are the best of the best. They burn at 12x on most newer burners and have the best and most consistent scans I have ever seen. And at $0.33 per disc that is a steal. I buy by the 100s at Supermediastore and it still costs $0.38 per disc.

Well, by the mid they appear to be genuine TY, but that said, I note you say “they played fine.” Would you be willing to use your Nero CD-DVD speed to test one of the burns with those TY? It would be good if you ran a Transfer Rate Test and a Disc Quality test and posted the graphs here, so we can see how ‘good’ those are, as if you’re getting TY, it’s got to be older stock, and unless whomever had it stored it properly, you won’t have some idea about how they were stored until you test the burns. I once bought some genuine TY from AllMedia (IIRC), an online place, but although they were genuine, the burn testing revealed the burns were significantly out of spec for TY results. When I checked the dye sides, I saw significant spotting where the dye was thin, indicating they had been stored someplace a little too hot or exposed to too much light. I’m not trying to spoil your purchase, but just adding a note of caution. Test what you’ve burned, post the graphs and let’s see what the results look like. :wink:

cbboy777, I’d like to find some of those rare white lacquered puppies to try once myself, even if just once.

Coconut, my local Staples seem to be devoid of any Sony 25 pks with octagonal spacers as well, very sadly. Oh well, as per usual, I’m usually a day (or years) late and a dollar short. I didn’t find this forum, or a passion for DVD burning till after the middle of '07.

Two Degrees, thank you for the info. I’m going to pick up a 5 pack of the Fuji MIJ 4x just for the halibut. A buck a disc is more than a wee bit rich for my blood to be comfortable getting many more than that.

ricoman, thanks for sharing your experience and opinion. It’s definitely helped boost the confidence factor with my purchases, and it makes me feel pretty good about spending more than the typical 18-20 cents per disc that I’ve become too accustomed.

Quema34, I have Nero 7 Ultra Edition that was purchased at Frys by a buddy and given to me back in July, '07. I am able to do the benchmark and scan disc tests, but the Disc Quality feature doesn’t have the “START” box highlighted. I tried going through the options menu and it has nothing highlighted to run anything. I uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. Can you suggest anything to get it to work, please?

The Scan Disc showed 0 errors on the disc I tested, and the benchmark test showed ok, I think. But the 1st disc or 2 in each spindle do have that speckled appearance like maybe there was an issue with their age and how they may have been stored.

Thanks a lot to all for your contributions. They’re much appreciated.

Quema34, I found a question posted to CD Freaks that seemed to reveal why my Nero wouldn’t allow a disc quality test. I have 2 Samsung drives (SH-S162A and SH-S182D) on my computer and the post stated that to correct the issue, you had to go into the registry and edit a block for that feature. Bizarre.

Even with the change to the setting I followed from the post, all I can get the Nero to do is a quick scan on quality. The regular mode just doesn’t want to work.

I’ve posted 3 images from one of the Fuji 8x +R TYs below. The 1st is the regular quality scan after just sitting there like that forever. 2nd is the quick quality scan. 3rd is the transfer rate test result.

untitled.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitled3.jpg

Thanks again for all.

acecorder: for one thing you seem to be using an older version of CD-DVD Speed. Upgrading to the newest version may help since there is support for newer burners. You can get NeroCDSpeed 4775.zip here. UnZIP to Program Files\Ahead\Nero Tools, overwriting the older CDSpeed.exe.

[QUOTE=larc919;1967289]acecorder: for one thing you seem to be using an older version of CD-DVD Speed. Upgrading to the newest version may help since there is support for newer burners. You can get NeroCDSpeed 4775.zip here. UnZIP to Program Files\Ahead\Nero Tools, overwriting the older CDSpeed.exe.[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

And uncheck : Quick Scan :wink:

[quote=minaelromany;1967467]And uncheck : Quick Scan ;)[/quote]You have eyes like an eagle! I missed that. :flower:

[QUOTE=acecorder;1966979]…my local Staples seem to be devoid of any Sony 25 pks with octagonal spacers…[/QUOTE]

:disagree:

The 25 and 50-pack of Sony 8x DVD+R MIJ is always Taiyo Yuden, with or without an octagonal spacer. The spacer was only relevant to finding Sony TYG02 and TYG03, but those no longer exist. Therefore, the spacer on Sony media no longer has any meaning. I repeat, the spacer on Sony media as an indicator of TY is defunct. It’s purpose as a signifier has expired.

Just look for MIJ on the label of any remaining Sony 8x +R you find, and if you see that, it will be TY. :iagree:

[QUOTE=negritude;1967811]
Just look for MIJ on the label of any remaining Sony 8x +R you find, and if you see that, it will be TY. :iagree:[/QUOTE]
If I am not mistaken some Sony D11 (I think) that I had were also MIJ, so MIJ is not necessarily a definitive indicator. However, all TY’s [U]are[/U] MIJ>

larc919, WOW! Thank you for the suggestion and link to update my version of CD-DVD Speed! :bow:

minaelromany, I’m feeling very much like the “Forrest Gump” of this forum now after all that. So, I guess life is like a box of chocolates. Unfortunately, most of mine look to have melted, along with a good portion of my brain cells.

Quema34, I’ve posted the now accessible disc quality test scan on the same disc I posted the previous images. This is one of those discs that looked spotted/speckled the most. I guess it got less than perfect care and handling.:sad:

TSSTcorpCD_DVDW_SH-S182D_SB00_02-January-2008_18_52.png

TSSTcorpCD_DVDW_SH-S182D_SB00_02-January-2008_18_53.png

negritude and ricoman, greatly appreciate the clarification and qualification on the Sony TYs, but it was still groan, moan and travail after checking half the 14 Staples within a reasonable (for a CD/DVDfreak) distance from me. And as hard as the first group of stores struck me out, it’s looking like nada, zlich, zero for the 8x Sony MIJs in my region.

And, Two Degrees, I did go back to “CLOSEOUT GIANT” for a 5 pack of the Fuji 4x -Rs. TYG01, Batch #GD000139.

Even though they’re pricey, I’ll likely just keep going back and back because they’re just so darned lovely in their individual jewel cases. All shiny and perfect(???). What can I say, they had me at MADE IN JA… :bigsmile:

Many thanks again for everything to all of you.

P.S. Just as an aside to any of you who might have wanted to check out the possibility, or maybe were just curious, about going to Mexico (more specifically, Tijuana) to have a look see at the DVD media prospects, it is seemingly a barren wasteland when it comes to finding MIJ media, or even decent media at a bargain price.

I’ve scoured electronics stores (large and hole-in-the-walls), department stores (discount and a bit more upscale) to find only disappointment. Lots of Kodak, LG, Pleomax, and Sony (Sony’s almost exclusively in single wrapped jewel cases for the equivalent of a buck a throw with an MIT label). Just not a ton of variety.

Maybe I needed to go way out into the suburban malls to find something, but none of the prices I discovered were any better than you could do on the US side, especially when there’s a sale going.