Opinion on Sony vs Lite-on

Hi everyone - I would like to solicit some advice / feedback on the following:

I ordered an Sony 810a to go with my new system but apparently the computer shop no longer had it in stock so they gave me an OEM Sony DW-G120A. I noticed this a bit later and I thought at first that the Sony was a bum deal so I was about to exchange it for a Lite-on SOHW-160P6 when I ran into this forum. :smiley:

I learned here that the Sony is actually a rebadged Lite-on albeit a higher model than the 160P6 but being an OEM version, the drive is bare. No box, cables, manuals - etc…

So my choice boils down to either keeping the DW-G120A or getting the 160P6 ( boxed version ) for a lower price, about $5 less.

Thanks in advance for the help :bigsmile:

toywizard, welcome to cdfreaks :slight_smile:

The only difference between the G120A and the 160P6S is the ability to read/write DVD-RAM (the G120A can). My personal experience is that the OEM Sony drives appear to have better quality control and you tend to have a better chance of getting a good drive. I’d just keep the G120A… :wink:

Thanks so much C0deKing

I really glad I found this forum :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Been spending hours here since I found it yesterday - and I am just at the hardware stuff :bow:

Great forum and great advice - that settles it, I am keeping this drive :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Will just go look for a BenQ as back up for this drive soon as I have the funds :wink:

Cheers !

ok but G120A is 165P6, not 160P6 ?

@Xoto
C0deking said something about dvd-ram support, so it’s clear that it is a 16[B]5[/B]p6s.
i would also keep the sony.

Just as an update to this thread - I kept my g120a and I am very happy with it. I can’t really tell if its better than my 810a because they are on separate machines but for whatever its worth, I have not had a single coaster yet but then again I have only burned 20 or so discs to date :slight_smile:

Oh and it has DVD-RAM support though we still don’t have that media here in the philippines yet :frowning:

Thanks for all the help!

from a happy g120a user :wink:

Pleased to hear it, toywizard. Thanks for letting us know. :slight_smile: