Opinion: 10 reasons why Blu-ray will become a success

vbimport

I just posted the article Opinion: 10 reasons why Blu-ray will become a success.

Here are 10 reasons why Blu-ray will become a success, wheter you like it or not.

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/14941-Opinion-10-reasons-why-Blu-ray-will-become-a-success/](http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/14941-Opinion-10-reasons-why-Blu-ray-will-become-a-success/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Why Blu-Ray won’t have the same success as DVD 1. Online streaming. Unlike the US, most countries have high speed, with many ISPs competing for customers. As storage and bandwidth increases, this becomes a viable option. Xbox360 with Netflix or Roku is a good start. 2. DVD is “good enough”. When DVD came out, there were many improvements over VHS. Everyone had a TV and only needed a DVD player to enjoy those improvements. Blu-ray has a harder time since an HDTV is required and the quality improvement isn’t as large a jump. 3. Competing technology. Only speculation, but a disruptive startup could begin a company that causes plastic discs to fail. 4 gig USB keys are $15, 500 gig hdd’s are $50…and those aren’t even bulk purchase prices. Kiosk’s could allow you to “rent” a movie onto a specific USB key or purchase the movie online copy it to a hdd. Use your imagination, but there must be a better way than plastic discs now.

HAHHAHAHAHAHHA! Someone is trying to stir up some crap with this article !!!

I’m not buying GlueRay ever. Why bother? If I want HD stuff Internet gives me all that I need in this regard.

"It’s the only format out there " HD format or just format? If you are just saying format, then you are wrong, ie DVD. “Support of all major companies” So does DVD. “It’s High Definition” Yes, but to even see a markable increase in clarity, you have to fork out some major cash for a decent HD set. “Prices will go down” Yes, but DVD is still cheaper. “Blu-ray movies can be copied” It is good that they can be. "Playstation 3 " Contrary to what you may believe, alot of consumers have no interest in playing games much less purchasing a PS3. “Blu-ray = more storage” One point I do agree on. "It’s available, right now " Upcoverting DVD players are more of interest to me because it means I don’t have re-buy my movie library. "We are used to discs " Hey we were use to tapes back in the day until CDs came out. Maybe discs will see their end. “Everybody knows it” Not true. I guarantee I know 10 people right now who don’t have a clue what Bluray is. They might of heard of it but hearing and knowing are two different things.

Wow I think some people are just mad that they can’t afford it so they must put themselves under some delusion in order to make themselves not feel like crap for not having HDTV. "Yes, but to even see a markable increase in clarity, you have to fork out some major cash for a decent HD set. " Uh I can see it on a 20 in lcd computer monitor which cost me 300 bucks. There is a pretty large number of house holds with HD sets right now which can easily enjoy the increased clarity and better color quality. "Contrary to what you may believe, alot of consumers have no interest in playing games much less purchasing a PS3. " Uh tell that to the millions of people who own a PS3 and also keep buying (PS3 is typically number 2 in system sales per month behind the Wii and beating the 360) “Upcoverting DVD players are more of interest to me because it means I don’t have re-buy my movie library.” Blu Ray players do up-converts and doesn’t kill your current collection. "Online streaming. Unlike the US, most countries have high speed, with many ISPs competing for customers. As storage and bandwidth increases, this becomes a viable option. Xbox360 with Netflix or Roku is a good start. " With bandwidth limitations becoming a norm downloading high def content becomes an issue when your only alloted 20-40gig’s a month of bandwidth.

Left out the: “This is a paid advertisement”

Oh come on people, these are 100% valid points. It IS the only format out there. If anyone thinks the industry and manufacturers are going to jump on some other HD format anytime in the coming years needs to clean their crack pipe. DVD will go away, and thank the Gods. I am tired of hearin that DVD is good enough etc… It is not for me. I see artifacts and “graininess” in the best encoded DVDs. Anyone who thinks DVD is the “final” format and that there will not be a successful HD optical format that you can buy to own and collect is NAIVE. HD is the future, and even the present. Soon enough you will not be able to buy a TV that doesn’t support HD.

Of course the companies will succeed. But the truth is that: 1. To write a Blu-Ray Disc in normal 1x speed u need a RAID Array Disc System. That means system complexity that most users don’t want. That means more money for Hard Disks and more problems if someone of them fails. U can always NOT use such an Array having much stalls to Blu-Ray copy method or totally failure leading to Useless Unplayable Burned Discs. 2. Many of people making copies of their valuable data have noticed that many DVD discs after 1 year were unplayable or unplayable scratched or many files could not be read. DVDs are about 6.5 times more compressed than a CD. Even a bit of dust or a scratch could make the disc unplayable. The copied DVDs under a flurocent lamp showd their flows in human eye. U could see the copy blanks of similar points that had dust or scratches. And now we are talking about a disc of 25 Gigabytes. How many data I will lose if some little dust likes some spots of my Disc. I believe that we would have to make backups all time or trusting hard discs ONLY for storage. As much of people keeping backups of their favourite movies or music they should do the same or totally forget it. Buy 3 times the same movie to b sure. LOL !!!

The number 1 reason Blue Ray will succeed is that Sony now owns many of the titles produced in Hollywood and they will control what format they distribute these titles on. They learned their lesson with Beta versus VHS. If you want a Sony title, you will buy the technology to watch it. Blue Ray will take over, no question this time.

“1. To write a Blu-Ray Disc in normal 1x speed u need a RAID Array Disc System. That means system complexity that most users don’t want. That means more money for Hard Disks and more problems if someone of them fails. U can always NOT use such an Array having much stalls to Blu-Ray copy method or totally failure leading to Useless Unplayable Burned Discs.” Uh What??? WRONG!!! If this was true then there wouldn’t be 6x drives out there right now cause if you need a raid to support 1x you must need a 50 drive monster to handle 6x. “Many of people making copies of their valuable data have noticed that many DVD discs after 1 year were unplayable or unplayable scratched or many files could not be read. DVDs are about 6.5 times more compressed than a CD. Even a bit of dust or a scratch could make the disc unplayable. The copied DVDs under a flurocent lamp showd their flows in human eye. U could see the copy blanks of similar points that had dust or scratches. And now we are talking about a disc of 25 Gigabytes. How many data I will lose if some little dust likes some spots of my Disc.” You must not come around here often and read the content of this site. The forums are also a good place to learn about this new format and keep you up to date on what has been achieved with new technology to keep it from being a fragile piece of plastic. There is a strong coated layer on top of the data that keeps scratches from touching the actual pits in the media. The laser does not read the cd like we read words on paper nothing can obstruct the view because it’s more like braile. It just rubs it fingers across the surface and translate what each bump means in it’s head. Anyway Blu Ray wins cause they have Disney that’s it period. Kids want disney movies and parents have to give in. HD-DVD didn’t have Disney so they never had a chance

This an answer to psychoace (guest) What I wrote is true but u don’t know what u understand after all. Read Carefully. IF A PIECE OF DUST SITS IN THE DISC SURFUCE WHILE BURNING IT - AND IT WILL - IN THIS PLACE THE DISC IS NOT WRITTEN WELL OR NOT WRITTEN AT ALL CAUSING A BLANK. IF U DON’T BELIEVE PLAY THE DISC AND THEN AFTER A YEAR BUT 1ST LOOK AT THE WRITING SURFACE UNDER A FLUROCENT LAMP. And if u don’t want to believe something proven It’s not my fault… Some things in forums r opinions and others real info. The second one matches our situation. As much of the speed topic open and tick in nero settings the real speed of the recorder or any other recorder supporting this feature. U can always c the difference of the speed under a flurocent lamp where the circles change intensity all the time. It happens to DVDs too. I bet u can’t burn a DVD Disc steadily under 16x. A Blu-Ray starts with that amount of data and I prevail u to tell me what hard disk can STEADILY forward that amount of data… When u write something make sure u have searched and understand what others first have written to u. Bye to all and thanks. After all it 's a free info to all !!!

• removed -
    One word comment, please give constructive comments

NtG wrote: To write a Blu-Ray Disc in normal 1x speed u need a RAID Array Disc System. What? Have you try burning a blu-ray? Sounds not! There are plenty of CDFreaks blu-ray drive review that shows 6x burning using PC with non RAID system and they are just fine. What are you talking about?

The only reason Blu-ray beat HD-DVD is Sony paid movie studios and big-box retailers millions of dollars (each) to only support/sell Blu-ray. Now Sony is struggling financially because of slow adoption, and the PlayStation 3 is the worst selling of the top three game consoles (even in Japan) at least partly because of the high cost of including Blu-ray in it. If left to the open/free market with no pay-offs, I don’t think Blu-ray will ever outsell standard DVDs. Most people can’t tell the difference between an upscaled DVD and Blu-ray, and they aren’t going to spend a lot of money with no obvious benefit.

@psychoace I am not talking about your average HDTV. To see a markable increase in quality of picture, you will have to pay for a moderate to high-end HDTV set. And no, I am not talking about people that buy or use the PS3. What I am talking about the thousands of consumers out there, like my mother for instance, that don’t have a clue what a PS3 is or what it could be used for. Those are the thousands if not millions of consumers out there that I am talking about. If the upconversion feature is on par with the other DVD units out there, then I might consider getting a Bluray player only if it was comparable in price.

Why bother with blu ray when its completely possible to fit 2 hours of hd video onto a dvd5 let alone dvd9. and it will play on blu ray players. so just buy a blu ray player and watch hd video (1920x1080) from dvds

“And no, I am not talking about people that buy or use the PS3. What I am talking about the thousands of consumers out there, like my mother for instance, that don’t have a clue what a PS3 is or what it could be used for. Those are the thousands if not millions of consumers out there that I am talking about.” PS3 isn’t the only Blu-Ray player in the world and Blu Ray is not being advertised to your grandma because it’s to expensive. If they wanted your grandma to have it they would price it at $50 or so which aint going to happen for awhile. “Why bother with blu ray when its completely possible to fit 2 hours of hd video onto a dvd5 let alone dvd9” Just cause it’s completely possible doesn’t mean it’s completely worth it. HD video compressed to 4.7gig’s with lossless audio is going to get you crappy quality especially with action movies in fast moviing scenes. If you don’t mind compression artifacts then yes it’s perfect but most people are upgrading to blu ray cause it has better quality then SD which if there is compression artifacts that totally defeats the purpose. Also not everyone is a pirate or will become one. “Most people can’t tell the difference between an upscaled DVD and Blu-ray, and they aren’t going to spend a lot of money with no obvious benefit.” Most people don’t care about the difference. It’s the new thing and people have got to have it. If everyone researched everything they did we wouldn’t have 8 years of Bush, Religion, Nigerian Email Scams. America loves to waste money on stuff they don’t need so don’t doubt Sony made a good investment that will get it back into gear in the near future. Yes they are not doing great but there system is now selling very well and it’s not the laughing stock of the console ring

Blu-ray will become more popular over time, but that’s pretty obvious. ‘How’ popular it becomes in its life-cycle is still a huge question mark - as catching up with DVD will take years. I see ‘Hi-def’ as a sign of progress, but actually it’s being over-sold or force fed to us by a company that wants us to re-buy all our movies again in a new format (and they don’t quite understand yet that it isn’t going to happen). You will KNOW that Hi-Def has truly come of age when you see ‘Star Wars’ released in Hi-def. Lucasarts will release it when the market is ready for Hi-def, and is the market ready yet ? That’s a big NO.

psychoace: well put. Vic_M: no one ask to rebuy all your movies. Blu-ray player can upconvert your DVD as well. No need to rebuy.