Operating systems

vbimport

HI All

Looking to change operating system.
Red Hat Linux, what do you think of it?

Redowl

Welcome to the forums! :slight_smile:

It would depend somewhat on what you want to do with your computer as to what Linux distribution would be best for you.

Have you used Linux before?

Ozar

just as a general home operating system.
some gaming,photo editing, and music recording

redowl

Red Hat Enterprise Linux is a great distribution, but it’s now geared more toward commercial enterprise, although anyone can still use it. The thing is, you have to pay for a subscription to get updates. There are some free versions of the older Red Hat releases, but they are no longer supported. Another option would be to use CentOS which is the same thing as RHEL, but without the Red Hat logos and artwork, and no paid support channel.

Mandriva, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, and Linux Mint are also considered good distros for new Linux users.

Fedora is the free version of Red Had unless you want to pay for the enterprise package. Maybe a distro like UbuntuStudio would be worth looking at since it includes multi-media packages. I’ve spent time with several different linux distros, from the better known like Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Fedora and the lesser known smaller distros like Absolute, Puppy, TinyMe
If you have the hardware resources I’d suggest one of the larger distros, I can’t say I prefer one over another, it’s probably more a matter of look and feel than anything else. What I do is use VirtualBox, or anything similar, to install about five different distro’s and play around with them until I feel comfortable with their interface, install/software packages, ease of use, etc. You can find info and downloads of the top linux disto’s here: http://distrowatch.com/

[QUOTE=redowl;2459764]Ozar

just as a general home operating system.
some gaming,photo editing, and music recording

redowl[/QUOTE]

Some gaming pretty much eliminates Linux from your list of operating systems.

It’s possible to set up your system to dual boot, but be realistic, if you want to game on your PC, you must use Windows.

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2459952]Some gaming pretty much eliminates Linux from your list of operating systems.

It’s possible to set up your system to dual boot, but be realistic, if you want to game on your PC, you must use Windows.[/QUOTE]

:iagree::iagree:

PC games basically means your will have to use Windows O/S. Majority if not all PC games use the majority O/S which is Windows.

It depends on which games you want to play. Check out the Wine AppDB for windows games that work with linux: http://www.winehq.org/

[QUOTE=Whappo;2460272]It depends on which games you want to play. Check out the Wine AppDB for windows games that work with linux: http://www.winehq.org/[/QUOTE]

That may be true but not the new or current games those I think will require a full Win O/S system to work since they use DirectX. Maybe the old games would work in wine but that program is a work in progress right now.

thanks All
Our Input is great.
now i have some thing to look into.

redowl