Operating system on a seperate drive faster?

Hi, I’m new here to this forum, and I am in the process of building a new computer. I will post in a different section about the specifics of my computer that I am building, but I do have a hard-drive specific question: Does a compter load/run faster if the operating system is on a seperate hard drive than if it were on a partition? Also, if I am willing to pay a little more money, would it be worth it to buy a solid-state drive to put my operating system on?

I am interested in building a computer that is high quality, so that is why I am interested in the potential for improved speed and performace when it comes to drive choices. Thank you anyone for advice :slight_smile:

HDDs with partitions are always slower than non-partitioned drives in any application of the partitions. Performance gains from placing the OS on one physical drive and applications and storage on separate physical drives are small but not insignificant. Your best option for max OS performance is a WD Raptor drive, which are 2-3x as fast as anything else for multitasking and OS. The newer VelociRaptors are even faster.

That said, multiple HDDs is always a good idea for many reasons, only some of which have to do with performance. I have 6 running here.

I would install the OS and applications on one hard drive and everything else on separate hard drive(s).

Solid state drives

Advantages and Disadvantages

:cool::cool:

Thank you for the input! I think I will go with that velociRaptor. However, if I go with that, the one I was looking at was 300 GB, so considering that that hard drive really [I]is[/I] fast, I think that I will just put everything on that drive (I am not the kind of person who needs a lot of space for personal files, I currently only possess around 15 GB of personal files, so I think that would be okay)

The purpose of having multiple hard drives is to keep your data backed up in case one of your hard drives decides to pack it in and then your will not lose anything because you data will be backup to one of the other hard drives. But in the end you have to make that choice of weather that is important enough for ya.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=SonicStriker;2077524]Thank you for the input! I think I will go with that velociRaptor. However, if I go with that, the one I was looking at was 300 GB, so considering that that hard drive really [I]is[/I] fast, I think that I will just put everything on that drive (I am not the kind of person who needs a lot of space for personal files, I currently only possess around 15 GB of personal files, so I think that would be okay)[/QUOTE]

There will be other versions of the VelociRaptor out soon, at least one 150GB version that may be even faster. I’d still pick up a cheap 250 or 500GB drive for storage and backups. The Raptor will be faster with less stuff on it.

Ya, that would make better sense. I keep swinging back and forth about how good of a computer I really want to get. Some of my friends keep trying to convince me that the parts I want to get are more expensive and powerful than what I need, and because I do not have much experience with the capabilities of today’s technology, I do not know what would work best for me, so I simply assume that what works best is what would work best for me =/ I think I’m going to start a thread in the general hardware section in regards to getting input about the parts I want to get relative to the performace I expect.

Here’s essentially what I want: A computer that loads quickly and operates quickly, can play most modern games without slowing down much, even in the most demanding circumstances, and, that pretty much covers it. I plan on buying a core 2 quad and 4 gigs of ram, and either a Geforce 9800 GX2 or 2 8800 GT’s I don’t know which is better for this purpose, Windows home premium, or ultimate?

Thanks for the input, it really is helpful :slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:
If going for speed.
I would personally have the fastest/smallest drive with just the OS on it.
A second fast HD with all applications on it. (Office, DVD authoring etc).
A third drive (could be very large with speed not necessarily that fast) for backups, downloads & utils etc.

Best Bet is to use an 80GB SATA drive for the OS n Programs…It Runs better, is not too large n has room to Breath!
Any size for others… Just my Experience of useing 80GB drives.