Opera wins 2 million new users in a week by adding free VPN feature

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Opera wins 2 million new users in a week by adding free VPN feature[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/08/opera-vpn-for-android-95x75.png[/newsimage]

The launch of Opera 40, with a built-in VPN, has gained the browser developer 2 million new desktop users in one week, a record. The built-in VPN is free to use and the service has servers in five different locations around the world. Opera promises its VPN is unlimited and doesn’t log.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/opera-wins-2-million-new-users-week-adding-free-vpn-feature-80566/](http://www.myce.com/news/opera-wins-2-million-new-users-week-adding-free-vpn-feature-80566/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The launch of Opera 40, with a built-in VPN, gained the browser developer 2 million new desktop users in one week, a record.
Cool now I want to go and use Opera… Only 2 million out of 300 Million? That isn’t what call big gain…if it was higher I be more decided but the Opera history has lagged behind even IE and Firefox. So having a VPN doesn’t mean we will all rush to use Opera… That is wishful thinking.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2781530]Cool now I want to go and use Opera… Only 2 million out of 300 Million? That isn’t what call big gain…if it was higher I be more decided but the Opera history has lagged behind even IE and Firefox. So having a VPN doesn’t mean we will all rush to use Opera… That is wishful thinking.[/QUOTE]

In all honesty, the case is 2 million in one week which is impressive :flower:

Now for a few hints to the users, first of all, your system is not VPNed, only the Opera browser. The following is taken from the VPN provider’s Privacy Policy:

For the VPN in Opera Browser for Desktop, we create a subscriber ID (generated in sequential order across all subscribers) that allows us to manage that user on our system. If that user clears their browser cache/history, they’re assigned a new generated subscriber ID.

SurfEasy is required to comply with law enforcement where subpoenas, warrants or other legal documents have been provided. We may collect and disclose personal information, including your usage data, to governmental authorities or agencies, including law enforcement agencies, at their request or pursuant to a court order, subpoena or other legal process, if there is a good faith belief that such collection or disclosure is required by law.
In other words, their no log policy can be lifted even on a per user basis… even ‘including your usage data’, is that even possible with a no log policy and what does the ‘if there is a good faith belief’ really mean?
The way this is written go a long way in saying that you have to assume that you are logged at any given time and that anyone complaining to the authorities, law or other agencies will get an extensive log for your ID, not only including your real IP but also quite possibly your layer two MAC address along with each and every site visited and downloads.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2781537]In all honesty, the case is 2 million in one week which is impressive :flower:

Now for a few hints to the users, first of all, your system is not VPNed, only the Opera browser.[/QUOTE]
Yeah that is what most will not realize it’s only for Opera they will think their internet will be safe. It’s impressive but Opera should disclaim it’s only for the browser only your other internet usage isn’t going through the Opera VPN.

How long until, like TOR, all of these VPNs’ IPs are blocked by Cloudflare and anti-spam filters; thus making them useless?

[QUOTE=Shammil;2781838]How long until, like TOR, all of these VPNs’ IPs are blocked by Cloudflare and anti-spam filters; thus making them useless?[/QUOTE]
TOR is not VPN as such, more of a randomized proxy and so I think Cloudflare will have a hard time there. Still your point is valid, but would it be interesting for Cloudflare which mostly handles deflection? Spam-filters is out of the question in this respect as it will never be spam apart from the occasional address making the various database lists :flower:

[QUOTE=Shammil;2781838]How long until, like TOR, all of these VPNs’ IPs are blocked by Cloudflare and anti-spam filters; thus making them useless?[/QUOTE]Not. The Opera VPN isn’t that good.

That’s nice. Meanwhile, the VPN provider has promised to sell you out to big brother, which is just the kind of thing people use VPN services to avoid. I’ll stick with alternating between Firefox + my own free VPN providers, and the TOR Browser Bundle.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2781840]TOR is not VPN as such, more of a randomized proxy and so I think Cloudflare will have a hard time there. Still your point is valid, but would it be interesting for Cloudflare which mostly handles deflection? Spam-filters is out of the question in this respect as it will never be spam apart from the occasional address making the various database lists :flower:[/QUOTE]CloudFlare has been blocking TOR years for years. When a new TOR node is created, CloudFlare is usually quick to blacklist that IP address. Of course, CloudFlare won’t call it “blocking”… rather, they’ll call it “verification”, since they do so with annoying captchas, which can be very difficult to solve. Effectively, many users will give up on solving them, which means they won’t be able to access said website. Meanwhile, Akamai, a competitor to CloudFlare, has previously claimed that activity of TOR users and normal internet users is nearly identical.