OpenSuse 11.1, Virtualbox 2.2, and DVDfab 5.2.5.0

FWIW, I’ve been looking at what is needed to fully remove WinXP from my PC in a multi-boot configuration. I use OpenSuse all the time (have done so for 3+ years now) for my regular home and business work, except for when I need to use DVDfab. Not often, but annoyingly so.

So I recently installed the closed-source Virtualbox version 2.2.2 on my OpenSuse 11.1 and decided to try out DVDfab using an XP VM. If it worked OK, I’d be abled to fire it up in seconds, or have it standing by in seamless mode, and negate the boot/reboot hassle that I currently endure.

In brief, the only disadvantage I see is that VB only allows one CD/DVD device to be connected at a time, so input and output must be in one reader/writer, and you have to hang around to do the disc swap, versus using two DVD drives. They may be a workaround for this single DVD limitation and, if so, I’d appreciate hearing about it.

The backup went fine, in 13 minutes total, which is quite good (I guess) considering what VB must have to go through re: the DVD drive and the shared folder, both of which belong to the host Linux system. Anyway, with this type of hassle-free performance, it probably doesn’t make any sense to “pine for DVDfab running under Wine in Linux” - which doesn’t, very easily if at all.

If this type of information has been posted elsewhere in the forum, my apologies. Couldn’t find something the same, or as current though.

++++++++++++++ D E T A I L S +++++++++++++++++++

Host: OpenSuse 11.1_x86_KDE_3.5.10, Virtualbox 2.2.2 (closed, not OSE), 2 gig DDR2-800 RAM, Asus M2N-SLI, AMD Athlon 5000x2, WDD 320gig SATA2, Pioneer 107D & 112D (latter used for test) IDE, Nvidia GT8600/256mb.

Windows Guest (with VB 2.2.2): XPsp3, 768 mb assigned, guest additions, Pioneer 112D “hard-linked” via VB control panel, host NTFS drive configured as shared folder for temp/rip to HDD, since XP drive only configured as 6 gigs total.

DVDfab version used: 5.2.5.0 stock, only path player enabled to remove “annoying UOPs”

Movie backed up: “While you were sleeping”, just under a DVD+R single layer. Just for a quick test.

Time Taken: 13 minutes total for rip to HDD (shared folder) and write to 112D, including time to eject input DVD and insert output blank DVD.

[QUOTE=burpnrun;2270644]
The backup went fine, in 13 minutes total, which is quite good (I guess) considering what VB must have to go through re: the DVD drive and the shared folder, both of which belong to the host Linux system. Anyway, with this type of hassle-free performance, it probably doesn’t make any sense to “pine for DVDfab running under Wine in Linux” - which doesn’t, very easily if at all.
[/QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree for these reasons:

[ul]
[li]In trial mode under Wine the performance of DVDFab far exceeds that of DVDFab under VB. Performance especially suffers if the destination is on a network drive.[/li][li]VB has a significant overhead in terms of memory and resident CPU usage (not very friendly to the new linux netbooks and such).[/li][li]Requires all users to have an available Windows license[/li][/ul]
The last 2 points don’t bother me much because I have a quad-core with 8GB of RAM and an available XP license, but I’m not everybody.

Valid points, all. However, for the majority of Linux users who have tried (unsuccessfully) to get DVDfab 5 (since early days) working under Wine, using Wine for DVDfab is just NOT an option. See this thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-under-wine-225443/

Your mileage is obviously different. But for folks with an XP (or similar) license who aren’t hard-core backup users, the Virtualbox solution is elegant and hassle-free. And works. Maybe VMserver too, although I know nada about it, or if it has VB like capabilities, e.g., direct read/write to the DVD drive.