openSUSE 10.3 boot problems and other questions

Hi everyone,

I’ve tried installing this thing twice now, both times with the same result. I get to GRUB and hit enter on openSUSE and then just get a black screen. I can get to a terminal with “init 3” so that suggests something graphics related it seems…but I don’t know.

Tried to get this working for a day now and frankly it’s starting to grate. Hope one of you people who knows linux well can help with this one. It’s the rig in my signature that it’s installed on by the way.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chriso,

I’m no Linux expert, just a user, and haven’t installed openSUSE 10.3 yet, but once you’ve completed the installer steps and right before you start the actual install, you should get a summary with the soft- and hardware you’ll be using. At that point you can check your graphics setup and I would expect SUSE to have automatically detected your nVidia card and assigned the open source ‘nv’ driver to it. If not, you can manually intervene at this point. I use the same AGP-card as you on 10.2 and although it wasn’t there during the original installation, I don’t remember having any problems fitting it into this system. Once you’re up and running with a GUI, you should then install the real nVidia driver for 3D support through SUSE package management. If you can’t get a GUI with the nv driver, try to install with the generic VESA display driver.

Have a look here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f3/linux-newbie-advice-213868/index3.html , posts #75 at the bottom and following, also a graphics driver problem.

dang Cressida i forgot to mention your nic to Chriso in chat…sorry :doh:

[QUOTE=rolling56;1918773]dang Cressida i forgot to mention your nic to Chriso in chat…sorry :doh:[/QUOTE]
No problem, I wasn’t looking - and even if I was :slight_smile:

Chriso was asking Slayerking for help in chat.

If you can get into the basic terminal, at the login as your account.
Use

su  (super user access) 
*root password*
# sax2 -r

This will setup your basic video options & hopefully that’ll get you into a GUI :wink:
After sax2 runs, logout of the admin account.

#exit

then type

startx

which will test whether it’s properly configured.

If it works, restart your computer and it shoudl work properly now :slight_smile:

Nice, I got a desktop debro…but on reboot it’s gone again!

If it doesn’t work right … try the same again, except don’t restart & while still in SU mode … type:

# init 5

Hmmm … maybe before restarting … run sax2 -r … then startx & once into the GUI … run sax2 -r from a terminal - this worked when i was trying to get my new HD-2900 working.

sax2 in safe mode refused to detect the video card driver (obviously) and always used a 1024x768 framebuffer.

Once in the GUI, it fired up the fglrx drivers & sax2 correctly detected the resolution of my monitor & saved it ok.

Seems odd that it resets to unusable after a reboot.

i give you the nvidia nightmare

Lol!
Try an earlier revision of the drivers.

Or Ask someone with Suse10.2 to compile the drivers for you & install the 10.2 rpm on 10.3 :wink:
Worked for me :wink:

Ok, managed to sort it…here’s how:

Booted into failsafe (which is pretty much init 3)
Followed debro’s instructions to do with X which got me to a working desktop
For some reason this would go away whenever I rebooted, wouldn’t load the desktop at all
So from there I installed the nvidia drivers as per their website, gave it a reboot and it’s all fine!

Now I can get to work on using linux properly. One last thing, with the nvidia drivers I should have 3d acceleration now right?

Chris

Well done! If 3D screensavers work, you’ve got 3D. On 10.2 I also get an nVidia logo on boot with the driver installed.

Right, next thing…I’ve got my ntfs drive mounted as read/write but in the process it now doesn’t show up in the Computer section and I have to browse to where it’s mounted. Any way of fixing this (I’m guessing I missed an fstab parameter somewhere)?

Oh, and sorry to double post but can’t edit. I’ve downloaded Azureus and extracted it, but whenever I try to open a torrent file it just crashes and I have to force end it. Any ideas on that?

I updated to the latest java in YaST package installer (1.6.something) and that doesn’t seem to have had an effect.

[QUOTE=Chriso;1919260]Oh, and sorry to double post but can’t edit. I’ve downloaded Azureus and extracted it, but whenever I try to open a torrent file it just crashes and I have to force end it. Any ideas on that?

I updated to the latest java in YaST package installer (1.6.something) and that doesn’t seem to have had an effect.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like my experience with Azureous in both windows & linux :stuck_out_tongue:

Can try Ktorrent IT WORKS ok, Although in 10.2 they neutered it and stopped the DHT from working - Can download proper un-neutered copy & install it though :wink:

Ok, got everything working nicely now…or so I thought. Everything works in the sense that it’s functioning but there’s a small thing with my mounted NTFS drive. I have all the permissions sorted (added rw to the fstab options), but when I delete a file, not only is there no confirmation (I know this is standard in Linux) but also the file doesn’t go to Wastebasket. This means in effect that pressing the delete button does just that…without any recourse available afterwards.

Any ideas on how to make the deleted files go to Wastebasket?

Cheers
Chris

I had sort of the same problem with Ubuntu 7.10. Black screen when nvidia’s drivers were accessed.

I solved it by forcing X to the default configuration. It’s mentioned somewhere in the help file how to go to the default video driver. I can’t remember where at the moment.

After that i restarted X, got a ugly 640x480x16 screen and installed the closed binary nVidia accelleration drivers. These are also the only drivers that give 3d acceleration!!! Your 3d screensaver might have used software opengl for 3d.

Before rebooting (and using the accellerated driver), i made sure the display properties were at some level my old crappy crt monitor actually understands: 1280x1024x32@60Hz.

The thing is that the nVidia driver tends not to listen to the EDID data (monitor tells card what it can handle) and uses the maximum resolution it can possibly handle. Which usually means 2048x1024x32@110Hz or something.

Ubuntu 7.10 with Compiz Fusion is awesome! :slight_smile:

[quote=Mr. Belvedere;1921217]I had sort of the same problem with Ubuntu 7.10. Black screen when nvidia’s drivers were accessed.

I solved it by forcing X to the default configuration. It’s mentioned somewhere in the help file how to go to the default video driver. I can’t remember where at the moment.

After that i restarted X, got a ugly 640x480x16 screen and installed the closed binary nVidia accelleration drivers. These are also the [B]only[/B] drivers that give 3d acceleration!!! Your 3d screensaver might have used software opengl for 3d.

[B]Before[/B] rebooting (and using the accellerated driver), i made sure the display properties were at some level my old crappy crt monitor actually understands: 1280x1024x32@60Hz.

The thing is that the nVidia driver tends not to listen to the EDID data (monitor tells card what it can handle) and uses the maximum resolution it can possibly handle. Which usually means 2048x1024x32@110Hz or something.

Ubuntu 7.10 with Compiz Fusion is awesome! :)[/quote]

Thanks! I’d already solved the driver thing, but good to know why it was happening (I fixed it by getting the drivers from nvidia through YaST). The main problem now is not having a Wastebasket for my mounted NTFS drive, makes deleting a bit nerve-racking.

Haven’t tried compix-fusion, isn’t it a bit resource heavy for a desktop environment?

[quote=Mr. Belvedere;1921217]
Ubuntu 7.10 with Compiz Fusion is awesome! :)[/quote]
How’s the 3D game support with compiz-fusion? When I enabled compiz … I couldn’t run 3D games :frowning:

[QUOTE=debro;1921791]How’s the 3D game support with compiz-fusion? When I enabled compiz … I couldn’t run 3D games :([/QUOTE]

Dunno, i don’t play games on pc’s anymore. I may install Second Life or something to see what it does.