Openning up an external LG GSA-2164D drive!

vbimport

Hi, first of all, I am facing a problem with my external burner that it takes a lot of time to read dvds. Also, it does not detect any of the supported dual layer discs. I decided to open up the burner in order to clean the lens. Well, one thing I learned is that the burner consists of two parts. An internal drive at front and a power + data unit at rear. Now, I have two questions. There is a silver tape wrapping both of the front and rear parts. Can I remove it? Also, can I replace the drive with another one of a different model? The input to the drive is: 5V /12V = 1.3A / 1.5A. Thanks for taking time to read this. Hoping to have a positive feedback on this. Regards.

Rionsa,

Welcome to the Board!

Removing & reusing the silver tape can be done if you are really careful. (You may need to suppliment it with more tape to get it to stick down.

Changing the Drive out should not be any issue as it’s just a standard OEM version of a Drive.

I hope this is helpful. :wink:

Thanks a lot for replying, Jim. I appreciate it. Is the silver tape that important that I need to apply it back? Can I use electrical tape instead of this one? Also, if I am to replace the drive, how can I reattach the drive’s tray to the new one? Are there any guides for that? Thanks for taking an interest in this, Jim.

Best Wishes.

The Silver Tape usually have better thermal charateristics than normal electircal tape. The voltages involved are not significant enough to warrant adding more layers of electrical tape - just enough to stick the Silver stuff back in place.

As far as the door goes, the units I took apart (not a 2164 D but similar) were simply an external Burner slipped into a case with a PSU & connectors at the rear. You should be able to simply remove the burner in one piece and replace the whole thing in one go.

[QUOTE=Jim;2490259]As far as the door goes, the units I took apart (not a 2164 D but similar) were simply an external Burner slipped into a case with a PSU & connectors at the rear. You should be able to simply remove the burner in one piece and replace the whole thing in one go.[/QUOTE]

Will the door of an internal lg dvd burner fit in the front panel? Something else I just realized is the led. Is there any other internal drive with the same led position? Those are my last concerns regarding the process. Thanks a lot, for your continuous support, Jim.