Open source movie server software

vbimport

I have an intranet (Ubuntu/Apache) server. I have mounted an external hard disk that has many movies. I am able to access the server and play movies with VLC as a plug in for FireFox and Chrome. The problem is that it will only play the individual .VOB file, so that I have to do it again after the first file (…1_X.VOB) file is played to play the subsequent file.
I am very familiar and have used VLC to play movies in my computers and in the network computers I can access, but want to use the movies in my intranet.
Is there software to do this? I have tried using VLC to stream from the network, but I am still not sure how. Sometimes it works, more not.
Please help.

Try xbmc, although I think it’s called Kodi now.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2733492]Try xbmc, although I think it’s called Kodi now.[/QUOTE]

Do you know a good place to find information? I think I used xbmc with a Raspberry Pi before. It was rather limited as a media server because of the platform.

Maybe the Intel NUC Kit D34010WYK(H) would be a better platform for running XBMC / Kodi - a little more expensive though

[QUOTE=Whappo;2733492]Try xbmc, although I think it’s called Kodi now.[/QUOTE]

I tried xbmc with the Raspberry Pi, but it was very limited. I guess that is because of the type of processor. I will give it a try. Hope it doesn’t have a long learning curve.

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=chibcharus;2736680]I tried xbmc with the Raspberry Pi, but it was very limited. I guess that is because of the type of processor. I will give it a try. Hope it doesn’t have a long learning curve.[/QUOTE]
Did you obtain the licenses to use MPEG-2 and VC1 hardware decoding?

Look at this: http://vidon.me/vidon_xbmc.htm