Open Norton Ghost Files

vbimport

I bought my computer from a small business that has since closed down. When I got it I was given a back up disc to use in case it ever crashed and I had to restore the op system. The computer has crashed so I found the disc loaded it into my drive and waited for my computer to reboot. Nothing happened there are two files on the DVD disc both Gho files which I understand where done with Norton Ghost. I have searched my computer and I have no software to open these files installed. How do I open them so I can reinstall my op system which is winxp to how it was before it crashed? If I have to contact Norton or Microsoft for a fix I will as the op system is genuine it’s not a copy.
Regards
Alan

You will need a copy of Norton’s ghost.

Restoring a Backup in Norton Ghost

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-3015.html

:cool: :cool:

You got that right, how to for dunnies but will i have to pay for a copy of norton ghost. If so will any copy open this file or dose it have to be a 2005 edition.

The wife told me that some disc’s from the computer where in our bedroom and when I looked I have found the original windows XP CD. I loaded the disc and it rebooted then told me that the drivers aren’t installed on this CD and that the drivers on the computer are corrupt. The reboot stopped at this point so I now have to ether find out if I can load the drivers from somewhere. Can I download the drivers needed from Microsoft? If not I’m going to have to download Norton Ghost which I don’t want.

Try to boot from the dvd that contains the Norton Ghost backup.

I always transfer my Ghost image to a bootable cd/dvd, so I can boot to Norton Ghost dos version.

The first post starts with a ref to a reboot atempt using the ghost image disc, so it seems it is not a bootable disc.
And if you’ve a legal OS copy, the best thing is probably to make a fresh install.
For that you’ll need the drivers for the devices you have installed: graphic card (if it is not onboard), sound card, monitor.
Some of them (CD/DVD drives don’t need as they get native support)
Check if you have original discs, otherwise you have to look for them in the web.
If it’s a notebook, you need to look fro the manufacturer drivers (make and model, as some specs are proprietary and different from the regularsm, for instance for graphic cards and notebook monitors).
But having XP, did you look for restore points?
All this implies that you don’t have a copy of Ghost, if you say you got all legal you should, otherwise it makes no sense you have a ghost image as recovery disc. Look the disc’s content and if you see a ghost.exe file, get a bootable windows 95/98 floppy, boot from them and run ghost.exe from your disc, afterwards you’ll be able to restore the system partition.

i’ve downloaded the trial verion of norton ghost 11.0 but it can’t open
.gho files (i think, i can’t find a way to open it…):confused:
:sad:

i only can open .iv2i, .v2i and .pqi (this are recovery points) i don’t know what i have to do else…
i don’t know much about ghost, maybe someong can help me?
Jyy

[QUOTE=PapaTgash;1690048]I bought my computer from a small business that has since closed down. When I got it I was given a back up disc to use in case it ever crashed and I had to restore the op system. The computer has crashed so I found the disc loaded it into my drive and waited for my computer to reboot. Nothing happened there are two files on the DVD disc both Gho files which I understand where done with Norton Ghost. I have searched my computer and I have no software to open these files installed. How do I open them so I can reinstall my op system which is winxp to how it was before it crashed? If I have to contact Norton or Microsoft for a fix I will as the op system is genuine it’s not a copy.
Regards
Alan[/QUOTE]

Well first what kinda computer did you by ?? Desktop or laptop??? And the desktop did it have Floppy or CD drives only or a combination of both?? If they made a ghost boot cd you should from the start change your Bios startup to go to the CD and if it bootable it should start or at least go to a menu. I have ghost but a older version and I boot from Floppy of which I have my .gho image on a separate HDD to load from to the C: drive to restore the image… But first at least we need to know what kinda computer and specs so as to decide what boot options you have to use to get it back working???

[QUOTE=jyy;1985620]i’ve downloaded the trial verion of norton ghost 11.0 but it can’t open
.gho files (i think, i can’t find a way to open it…):confused:
:sad:

i only can open .iv2i, .v2i and .pqi (this are recovery points) i don’t know what i have to do else…
i don’t know much about ghost, maybe someong can help me?
Jyy[/QUOTE]

Can we not hijack the OP posting and stay on the OP subject … if you need more help with your problem could you make a new posting…

done