Open letter to the CDfreak Mods

I just wanted to extend my sincere appreciation to the moderators here for their tolerance and consideration and the way that they run this forum. I have spent a few years here and this was really the first place I ever started posting on a regular basis. Until now, I never had any real basis for comparison, but for the last few months I have spent a little time on another board. On that forum, I have seen people banned without cause; I have seen threads closed and warnings issued without cause. Just last week, I answered a poster’s request for info by linking to another thread and I mentioned that the thread had been closed. My posting was edited so the closing was not mentioned. I did some additional searching and I found a very large number of posts edited and deleted by the mods. Most times, they were just exercising their power and many times there was no reason at all to edit other than they just apparently didn’t like what was said. This is not a controversial board; the mods are Canadian and the subject is electric shavers for God’s sake! When I sent a very civil email to the main mod, I was told that there is no such thing as free speech. Clearly, these guys can do anything that they want since it is their board and they are doing just exactly that.

In any case, I want to “kiss the ground upon which they walk” for our moderators’ remarkable ability to keep us in line without stomping all over our individuality and sometimes odd ball opinions. There is nothing like seeing how bad things can get to remind one of how lucky we are. Much thanks!!

Thanks for your kind letter, [B]chas0039[/B]. It’s very nice to hear that what we try to do on these forums is appreciated. :flower:

i tend to differ chas

:bigsmile: joking

they do a grand job

[QUOTE=chas0039;1981241]I just wanted to extend my sincere appreciation to the moderators here for their tolerance and consideration and the way that they run this forum. I have spent a few years here and this was really the first place I ever started posting on a regular basis. Until now, I never had any real basis for comparison, but for the last few months I have spent a little time on another board. On that forum, I have seen people banned without cause; I have seen threads closed and warnings issued without cause. Just last week, I answered a poster’s request for info by linking to another thread and I mentioned that the thread had been closed. My posting was edited so the closing was not mentioned. I did some additional searching and I found a very large number of posts edited and deleted by the mods. Most times, they were just exercising their power and many times there was no reason at all to edit other than they just apparently didn’t like what was said. This is not a controversial board; the mods are Canadian and the subject is electric shavers for God’s sake! When I sent a very civil email to the main mod, I was told that there is no such thing as free speech. Clearly, these guys can do anything that they want since it is their board and they are doing just exactly that.

In any case, I want to “kiss the ground upon which they walk” for our moderators’ remarkable ability to keep us in line without stomping all over our individuality and sometimes odd ball opinions. There is nothing like seeing how bad things can get to remind one of how lucky we are. Much thanks!![/QUOTE]
Thank you for the kind words, it is always nice to read that our forums are appreciated. Our main goal is to keep this place a happy and a friendly place where people from all sorts can find the information they want and/or get the help they need.

At times it is a demanding task, but most cases it is rewarding to see people getting their answers and enjoying their time here. We strongly believe in the freedom of speech, within reasonable limits. Although this forum is not a democracy, we firmly believe in listening to our visitors. It is our large user database with active users like yourself that really make a difference on this forum. Without you people there would be nothing.

Admitted, our staff tries to manage the different forums and I agree that they do a marvellous job, but without users like yourself there would be nothing to manage. So I would like to extend my gratitude for all your contributions and making this forum a fun place to hang out.

[QUOTE=Bjproc;1981296]i tend to differ chas

:bigsmile: joking
[/QUOTE]
Even if you weren’t joking, you are free to disagree with anything that happens here. In such situation I would appreciate constructive critisism that may help us improve this site even further. We maintain this site for you, our visitors. As said above, we aim to please and are always willing to listen to ideas, but I cannot guarantee we will implement them :wink:

Thanks Chas0039, but its members like you that make this forum as great as it is, its nice of you to take the time to write this note.:flower:

Chas0039 is correct . . . being a mod is often a thankless and difficult job.

Good job mods.

[QUOTE=chas0039;1981241]I just wanted to extend my sincere appreciation to the moderators here for their tolerance and consideration and the way that they run this forum. I have spent a few years here and this was really the first place I ever started posting on a regular basis. Until now, I never had any real basis for comparison, but for the last few months I have spent a little time on another board. On that forum, I have seen people banned without cause; I have seen threads closed and warnings issued without cause. Just last week, I answered a poster’s request for info by linking to another thread and I mentioned that the thread had been closed. My posting was edited so the closing was not mentioned. I did some additional searching and I found a very large number of posts edited and deleted by the mods. Most times, they were just exercising their power and many times there was no reason at all to edit other than they just apparently didn’t like what was said. This is not a controversial board; the mods are Canadian and the subject is electric shavers for God’s sake! When I sent a very civil email to the main mod, I was told that there is no such thing as free speech. Clearly, these guys can do anything that they want since it is their board and they are doing just exactly that.

In any case, I want to “kiss the ground upon which they walk” for our moderators’ remarkable ability to keep us in line without stomping all over our individuality and sometimes odd ball opinions. There is nothing like seeing how bad things can get to remind one of how lucky we are. Much thanks!![/QUOTE]

All I can say is…
There are other forums?? NOOOOooooOOOOO I call for the banning of chas… nah…just kidding…
We do have a great set of Mods here …and most of the time no one even knows it until something goes amiss…then everyone pounces on them…I have to say…they are great even when the news/answer they give you isn’t what you wanted to hear…
Thanks you guys and gals!!

Some very nice comments THANKS :slight_smile:

CDF is very careful of the selection of it’s Mods. Members are invited after much discussion and review, for me it is an honor to be a member of such an excellent team. :iagree:

That’s very kind of you Chas et al :flower:

I have to add though, without our members contributing, CDF wouldn’t be such a great place to hang out and learn stuff. So hats off to all our regulars, too :slight_smile:

Indeed. Thanks [B]chas[/B] :flower:
Its the members that kept me here. Right from the start i was made to feel welcome.
I still learn something new nearly everyday from the members here. If it’s not about some tech issue, it’s about life itself.

[quote=chas0039;1981241]I just wanted to extend my sincere appreciation to the moderators here for their tolerance and consideration and the way that they run this forum. I have spent a few years here and this was really the first place I ever started posting on a regular basis. Until now, I never had any real basis for comparison, but for the last few months I have spent a little time on another board. On that forum, I have seen people banned without cause; I have seen threads closed and warnings issued without cause. Just last week, I answered a poster’s request for info by linking to another thread and I mentioned that the thread had been closed. My posting was edited so the closing was not mentioned. I did some additional searching and I found a very large number of posts edited and deleted by the mods. Most times, they were just exercising their power and many times there was no reason at all to edit other than they just apparently didn’t like what was said. This is not a controversial board; the mods are Canadian and the subject is electric shavers for God’s sake! When I sent a very civil email to the main mod, I was told that there is no such thing as free speech. Clearly, these guys can do anything that they want since it is their board and they are doing just exactly that.

In any case, I want to “kiss the ground upon which they walk” for our moderators’ remarkable ability to keep us in line without stomping all over our individuality and sometimes odd ball opinions. There is nothing like seeing how bad things can get to remind one of how lucky we are. Much thanks!![/quote]
Hear, hear! I regularly browse other forums, and I have seen some pretty aggressive moderators who had little rhyme or reason to their editing. And even on the others, the mods weren’t overbearing…but it still was nothing like CD Freaks. :disagree:

Whenever something is bothering me, I come to the forum, find something to do [whether it be to post some scans, help some posters, or just chat], and I will always leave here with a smile on my face and some pretty good laughs. Not once has anyone here made me feel unwelcome, and I pretty much never leave here mad [although there have been times a few ignorant people have mad me mad…but that’s another topic on trolls, hehe ;)]. It’s like we all have a 2nd family here. [I literally have a second family here, complete with mommy, daddy, brother, and wise uncles and aunties, LOL :p].

There is no forum that I’d rather frequent than CD Freaks. :flower: A big thank you to all mods, regulars, and even some not-so-regular regulars, around here for offering such a unique experience. :bigsmile:

Oh, and never have I seen a forum that actually makes good use of the smilies, except for CD Freaks. :bigsmile:

Thanks for starting the thread, Chas! :slight_smile:

Thanks [B]Chas[/B] :flower:

I must say however that most of work here at CDF is done by the users that spends a lot of time to share their knowledge to help people :slight_smile:

Yo-

Having been on CDF a little over three and half years - I can totally agree with all that has been said-

I come here nearly every day - and enjoy the company and exchanges that occur here on a regular basis-

Please add my heart felt thanks to the others-eh!!

chas0039 you are the man. i agree with you 100%…you should be CDF of the month.

lol exactly why i never apply for mod. 100 % believe in free speech and would let everything go through no matter what.

I think we have the best looking mods :iagree:

Nah, well yes, but that´s beside the point ( a bit), I mean to say, I agree with Chas: our mods are great, and take care of things in a helpful, and considerate way. And the members are here, and are good (sometimes) and happy, and share and all that good stuff because of them. As Albert said, it´s a second family for many of us.

Thanks mods and members
:clap::clap::clap:

[QUOTE=pythonis;1981972]lol exactly why i never apply for mod. 100 % believe in free speech and would let everything go through no matter what.[/QUOTE]As already stated by Da_Taxman. We believe in free speech, but with free speech also come responsibility, so “everything” cannot be allowed.
We have to uphold the law for example of the Netherlands (were the site is hosted). And of course, something that is deemed indecent or offensive may not be allowed.

Regarding applying to be a Mod. People who do tend to apply (very few do, is my understanding) rarely ever become a mod.:bigsmile:

Yes this is a great forum some other forums can be a bit picky as i post on quite a few.
I am also an administrator on another burning forum and was a mod on another and most of the fallouts we had was between the mods\admin which i would expect happens here from time to time behind the scenes of course :iagree:

This is a cool place with cool mods, and forum members. There is alot to enjoy here.

lol im at a loss for words here. not surprised though.