OOOooold hippie days

vbimport

I’m starting this thread to let the old farts vent and maybe some younger folk to get informed on the old days .So what is your experience?

[QUOTE=marloyd;2536970]I’m starting this thread to let the old farts vent and maybe some younger folk to get informed on the old days .So what is your experience?[/QUOTE]
Guess I’ll start it rolling.
In my city local bands AKA garage bands played free at a local city park on Sunday in the summer.Usually at least 3 bands showed up & played for 5 or 6 hours. Lots of picnicing hippies listening to the music. As for other activities I will plead the 5th.

same here cholla i plead the 5th but we did the grasser thing about a hundred kid would gather at a gravel pit or a field some where.and party with no rules, than i went into the service for a 2 year stay-boy that was fun.

Ahhh yes the late 60’s early 70’s back in my hippie days. I did have some mighty fine
times back then…at least what I can remember of them I did and I’ll also have
to plead the 5th on some of my activities back then too. :bigsmile: :wink:

Some friends were going to take me to Woodstock for a late birthday present and we
all piled into my friends old VW mini bus to head up there but we all went and visited
:bow: :bow: MaryJane just a little to much and got loaded and ended up in Daytona, Fla
on the beach instead.

Now that is a very strange feeling wakening up and seeing the ocean and the
beach staring you in the face and not knowing for sure where you are at. LOL!!! :eek: :bigsmile:

Hehehe one night of partying like I used to do back then which was pretty much an
every night occurrence would probably completely do me in big time if I was to try it
for even just one night now days. :sad: :iagree: :Z

[QUOTE=getit29;2537075]Ahhh yes the late 60’s early 70’s back in my hippie days. I did have some mighty fine
times back then…at least what I can remember of them I did and I’ll also have
to plead the 5th on some of my activities back then too. :bigsmile: :wink:

Some friends were going to take me to Woodstock for a late birthday present and we
all piled into my friends old VW mini bus to head up there but we all went and visited
:bow: :bow: MaryJane just a little to much and got loaded and ended up in Daytona, Fla
on the beach instead.

Now that is a very strange feeling wakening up and seeing the ocean and the
beach staring you in the face and not knowing for sure where you are at. LOL!!! :eek: :bigsmile:I remember Boone Farms wine and some smoke did alot for us here.We had two groups ,the frats and the others were the greasers.

Hehehe one night of partying like I used to do back then which was pretty much an
every night occurrence would probably completely do me in big time if I was to try it
for even just one night now days. :sad: :iagree: :Z[/QUOTE]yea getit we did some partying it was such a drage durring the week when the weekend came all heck broke out.

I grew up on a farm and in a small village. We didn´t have TV and we went to church on Sundays. When I was older I got shoes, then a bicycle…

…then a strange thing happened: I was 14 and saw a pink tie-died t-shirt which I persuaded my mother to buy for me, and I also found a yellow ribbon with blue and orange flowers which I got her to sew onto the cuffs of my bell-bottom jeans. I don´t know why…perhaps there was something in the air.

:doh:

[QUOTE=deanimator;2537097]I grew up on a farm and in a small village. We didn´t have TV and we went to church on Sundays. When I was older I got shoes, then a bicycle…

…then a strange thing happened: I was 14 and saw a pink tie-died t-shirt which I persuaded my mother to buy for me, and I also found a yellow ribbon with blue and orange flowers which I got her to sew onto the cuffs of my bell-bottom jeans. [B]I don´t know why…perhaps there was something in the air.
[/B]
:doh:[/QUOTE]That was when you found your love for sheep :doh:

[QUOTE=marloyd;2537022]same here cholla i plead the 5th but we did the grasser thing about a hundred kid would gather at a gravel pit or a field some where.and party with no rules, than i went into the service for a 2 year stay-boy that was fun.[/QUOTE]

I was fairly boring when I was growing up in MI. The most exciting thing my friends and I did was to go swimming in a gravel pit (which our mothers told us never to do because there had been at least 2 drownings there).

Later, I got hook on the grass, beer and Rock and Roll and we’d either go to the drive-in and get high, or, once again, to the forbidden gravel pit, get high and go skinny dipping with our girl-friends. Some of the funner times that “I remember”.

[QUOTE=jsoulesone;2537439]I was fairly boring when I was growing up in MI. The most exciting thing my friends and I did was to go swimming in a gravel pit (which our mothers told us never to do because there had been at least 2 drownings there).

Later, I got hook on the grass, beer and Rock and Roll and we’d either go to the drive-in and get high, or, once again, to the forbidden gravel pit, get high and go skinny dipping with our girl-friends. Some of the funner times that “I remember”.[/QUOTE]
That sounds just like the gravel pit on Indianwood Rd. in Lake Orion. I was there many times almost got my motorcycle stuck in the sand.

Of course I had the compulsory motorbike accident and soon after that I rolled my car - wrecked it. Fell in lurv and got married. Everything went kinda downhill from then on

jsoulesome and james you know what we all grew up close to each other(small world) I grew up in Waterford and we went out to the pit by Maceday lake.I made it out to lake orion once or twice.I got Drafted in the last part of 69 and was in the service when Woodstock happened.Rock in Roll was The king then now I’m into the Blues.

[QUOTE=marloyd;2537537]jsoulesome and james you know what we all grew up close to each other(small world) I grew up in Waterford and we went out to the pit by Maceday lake.I made it out to lake orion once or twice.I got Drafted in the last part of 69 and was in the service when Woodstock happened.Rock in Roll was The king then now I’m into the Blues.[/QUOTE]
Blues is the root of classic rock :bow:. I know the Waterford area, I lived in Auburn Hills area for a long time. During the Mid-late 70’s there was a bar called Jagger’s it was near KMart on M59, hehe we smoked a joint in the bar during a set of music not to long after a huge bouncer asked us "Do you smell weed? I said yeah I think so :bigsmile:. Was a regular at the Firebird lanes if you remember that place too. I live in Sterling Heights now. Rented a house owned by Madonna’s dad Tony, in Rochester Hills area during the late 70’s. We were growing weed in the basement, he stopped by one day for something and goes into the basement, sees the plants, asks my roomate what are these? Bob replies, tomato plants we are getting a early start on our garden this year, Tony answers that’s a good idea :eek:

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2537550]Blues is the root of classic rock :bow:. I know the Waterford area, I lived in Auburn Hills area for a long time. During the Mid-late 70’s there was a bar called Jagger’s it was near KMart on M59, hehe we smoked a joint in the bar during a set of music not to long after a huge bouncer asked us "Do you smell weed? I said yeah I think so :bigsmile:. Was a regular at the Firebird lanes if you remember that place too. I live in Sterling Heights now. Rented a house owned by Madonna’s dad Tony, in Rochester Hills area during the late 70’s. We were growing weed in the basement, he stopped by one day for something and goes into the basement, sees the plants, asks my roomate what are these? Bob replies, tomato plants we are getting a early start on our garden this year, Tony answers that’s a good idea :eek:[/QUOTE]
yo james I know the firebird lanes and jagger’s well I remember my first pair of bells I had to go down to Pontiac on m-59 to the head shop there and bought a few other things.After I spent a couple years in the service I swore I would never cut my hair again so when I married the first time my hair was down past my shoulders.horrable pictures.that and hot cars driving down through pontaic and down to all most Detroit.(Woodward Ave)

[QUOTE=marloyd;2537556]yo james I know the firebird lanes and jagger’s well I remember my first pair of bells I had to go down to Pontiac on m-59 to the head shop there and bought a few other things.After I spent a couple years in the service I swore I would never cut my hair again so when I married the first time my hair was down past my shoulders.horrable pictures.that and hot cars driving down through pontaic and down to all most Detroit.(Woodward Ave)[/QUOTE]
The Zoo Boutique, they moved 3 doors down and changed the name of the head shop to Three Doors Down :doh:. The place was still open untill the owner (same guy) was murdered by a homeless guy during a robbery it was about 2 years ago :sad:. He had cool pics hanging on the wall of The Dead and other famous bands that he took himself.

Won’t go into the weed thing but in 1977 I lived for a year just traveling the Northeast on my motorcycle, camping out most of the time and had a real blast. You can’t do that kind of stuff anymore. Sleeping in farmers fields or just off the turnpike with a small campfire going. Those were different times.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2537472]That sounds just like the gravel pit on Indianwood Rd. in Lake Orion. I was there many times almost got my motorcycle stuck in the sand.[/QUOTE]

Actually, we hung out at the pit on Auburn rd. in Shelby Twp. They turned it into the “Four Bears Water Park”? But that was after I moved to California.

I did some partying at MSU, Oakland University, and parts unknown(:o:o;);)). Our group tended to stay out of the bar scene,except when the ladies wanted to go dancing.

I’ve been back a few times and my old neighborhood hasn’t changed too much. The houses that we lived in are still there and still owned by the same people.

It’s funny how my old elementary school looks so much smaller!

I know the Pits you are talking about, Four Bears has now closed also.

We used to ride motorcycles and, of course, snowmobiles around the pit. I remember one winter my neighbor took one of his motocross bikes and screwed some self-tapping hex head screws into the tires and we rode out on the ice. What a blast!!!

I remember we only had rear wheel drive back then so I had two sets of tires.I had one set with mag wheels and slicks ,another with standard wheels with snow tires.I was lucky started working when I was 15 bagging grocerys at a store next to my parents home.Most of the homes around there were lake cabins converted into full time homes they just kelp on adding on…I started doing drugs when I was in the 11th grade some friends had college friends and smokin dope was the in thing.Drinking wine and smokin.and listening to rock n roll…fun times

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2537559]The Zoo Boutique, they moved 3 doors down and changed the name of the head shop to Three Doors Down :doh:. The place was still open untill the owner (same guy) was murdered by a homeless guy during a robbery it was about 2 years ago :sad:. He had cool pics hanging on the wall of The Dead and other famous bands that he took himself.[/QUOTE]

That was the place James they burnt incence all the time and had all the black light posters.:cool::bow: