Onza needs some info/help/advice

Ok here’s the deal…

my liteon 40125S drive takes of ever to burn, i’m talking like 15+mins, and it doesnt seem like it can even finish the burn…

this is what i’ve done…

1. install updated aspi
  2. dma is on
  3. updated nero
  4. updated firmware on cdrw(would going down to a older one help??)
  5. i’ll add if more q’s are asked…

so i think this drive is pooping on me… cause i’ve read around and ppl have mentioned this problem b4.

onza

It would be helpfull if you shared with us what the buffers are doing during the slow burns, what’s the CPU usage, etc.

ok the other stuff in my pc are dual p3 750’s with 512mb ram…

the buffer goes up and down… CPU usage seems pretty high when its burning, which is odd, it didnt do it b4, started to happen about a month ago…

making me kinda mad

try installing the burner on someone else’s pc & see if you get the same results.

the buffer goes up and down… CPU usage seems pretty high when its burning

Probably not a CDRW drive problem, something’s buggered with the IDE. Bad CDdrives don’t make the buffer fluctuate.

Check the DMA setting again. If you are using WinXP, it will often change the connection to PIO instead of DMA. If this has happened, it is responsible for the problem you are having.

To restore DMA, in Device Manager remove the IDE channel to which your burner is connected and reboot. The burner will be redetected and DMA should be properly recognized and reset.

Inertia is right.

XP does change settings of DMA automatically sometimes.

Check it.

few more additions, i run win2k with sp1, will the service pack make a matter???

onza

SP1 won’t hurt and may help other problems, but it doesn’t solve the DMA to PIO bug.

ok thanks, i will try the delete of contorllers, and let windows reinstall them… trick and post back later tommorow morning…

but for now, i must go party :slight_smile:

onza

Originally posted by onza
[B]Ok here’s the deal…

my liteon 40125S drive takes of ever to burn, i’m talking like 15+mins, and it doesnt seem like it can even finish the burn…

this is what i’ve done…

1. install updated aspi
  2. dma is on
  3. updated nero
  4. updated firmware on cdrw(would going down to a older one help??)
  5. i’ll add if more q’s are asked…

so i think this drive is pooping on me… cause i’ve read around and ppl have mentioned this problem b4.

onza [/B]

Which IDE position do you have the burner on?

The most reliable setup I have found is to have the cd rom as slave on IDE1 and the burner as the master on IDE2. That should allow full speed copying either from your hard disc or on the fly.

My LTR 52246S takes less than 2:30 to burn 700Mb with suitable media.

here’s the update…

i did the uninstall and reinstall for the controllers… to see if PIO and DMA are conflicting.

1. i retry burn, same deal, the cd just spins up and down, and there is no buffer activity. till 2mins in.

so what is the problem, why does it take so long for it to start, i mean for a 40x cdrw it should take only a few moments b4 the burning starts.

ne other ideas?

thanks
onza

EDIT* k its at 100% done, but it seems to have a closing error at the end of a burn…

EDIT2* i went to bed, before it got done, cause it said it took 11mins, and it had a “4:22:39 AM #22 TRANSFER -18 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1559
Could not perform EndTrack” error

everysingle time… i’ll install it in a new rig later 2day

onza

Take the drive to another system and test it, and/or try a different drive in your own system.

udapted with the error info

did the same error, basically couldnt finish the cd…

onza