Only got around 40x writing speed using Lite-On 52X CDRW, Why?

vbimport

Hello,

I have a Lite-On 52x24x52 CDRW, and I only got average around 32-40x writing speed (Nero) when using K-Hypermedia 52x CDR. My system is PII-400 with 128mb. I turned DMA on, but it still took around 5 minutes to burn a 650mb disk. Why? is that my system or media’s problem? Thanks.

SMART-burn is most likely slowing it down.

K-Hypermedia’s quality is the lowest of the low, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise to you that it doesn’t burn at its advertised speed. Buy some FujiFilm CDRs at BestBuy when they are on sale.

Originally posted by RaWShadow
SMART-burn is most likely slowing it down.

How do I turn that off in Nero?

You can’t. It’s shaded out.

How do I turn that off in Nero?

Is Nero offering you 52x write speed with the media? If so, then there’s nothing you can do to speed it up. Given the poor quality of the media, you wouldn’t want to speed it up anyway. You may actually get quicker burn times by setting it at 40x.

Thanks for all replies, I will try fuji CDR later to check the speed. By the way, is it normal to burn a 750mb music cd around 5 minutes? cause I heard a lot of people burn a CD within 3 minutes.

Overburning is especially slow. 700MB at 52x should be around 2:30-2:40.

Originally posted by momopi
[B]Hello,

I have a Lite-On 52x24x52 CDRW, and I only got average around 32-40x writing speed (Nero) …[/B]

Average speed will always be lower than the drives max quoted speed as the drive starts burning at a slow speed [something like 16x] and increases speed as the laser moves away from the spindle only reaching 52x near the end of the burn.