Only DVD-R's will burn? (Memorex 16x DVD /-DLRWL1 F16 Internal)

[qanda]This thread is about the Memorex 16x DVD+/-DLRWL1 F16 Internal. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hey everyone. I am new to this forum. I am also new to DVD burning as well. I aquired an old DVD Burner. It is a Memorex DVD Double-Layer Recorder 16x Dual Format Internal SKU / Model: 32023282. I think it is manurfactured by LiteON. Anyway i tried to burn several movies using a few different types of software (Nero, Roxio, etc.) and i keep getting the same undefined error when i use a DVD-R. I used a few different brands of DVD-R and none work. So i decided to try a DVD-RW i had laying around made my Maxell. the DVD-RW worked perfectly. I am not sure what is wrong. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

This burner is old enough it may not recognize many of the newer disks available for burning. Every dvd drive has firmware in it that allows it to choose a specific burning strategy for each type of blank media you put into it, according to the mid code on the disks (manufacturer id code).

Mid codes that have come out since this burner was produced are not recognized, and the burner will either not function, or may choose a generic burning strategy that might not work well. You can go to the manufacturer’s website and try to flash to a newer firmware, but it may not help much, depending on when the last firmware was released. It is the first thing to try anyway.

You could use media that has been around a long while and probably get a better rate of success. Verbatim 8x is still available, and even the 16x Verbatim might work with this drive. Taiyo Yuden 8x+R would be another good choice, though you can only buy it online in the US anymore (rima.com or supermediastore.com are two places that have it).

More recent firmware (If available) for the burner might help too…

AD