Only a test

vbimport

[ATTACH]309359[/ATTACH]

Do you have a question?

Is there a purpose to this?

If not, this is not the correct forum for off the wall threads. I will move this to the Living Room or delete it if you would prefer.

Kerry
He has been trying to post screenshots, I guess he’s getting the hang of it.

Kerry, really sorry about this , I have been getting instructions from the forum on how to use print screen and guess they worked, did not think they did, again sorry but seems like I got the right instructions, please feel free to delete , will not happen again.

Not a big deal, but the Newbies is for questions, or for newcomers to introduce themselves to the forum. If you want to post something else, the Living Room is a good catch all.

I almost never use Print Screen. I use the snipping tool built into Windows 8 and Windows 10. And before that, I used Snagit 10, which I got as a freebie some time in the past. I still use Snagit for those shots that are hard to get, like the second or third layer of controls that disappear if you click anything else. For those, Snagit has a delayed snapshot.

Windows 7 also has the sniping tool I use it often

Kerry, bean55, thanks for the info.

And if you press “Alt + Print Screen” it captures only the active window.

Useful for copying dialogue boxes etc. without then having to crop the image.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks Wombler, useful!

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2760824]Thanks Wombler, useful![/QUOTE]

It’s only a simple tip but one I use all the time.

The other simple tip I have is when you want to do characters with accents on the vowels in words such as in my esteemed colleague Seán’s name.

Instead of looking up character maps and finding the Alt code to type, or copying and pasting the character from there, just hold down the AltGr button when you’re typing the character you want and the accented character will appear.

Shift + AltGr gives you upper case versions but they’re not as widely used.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Womble, hate to sound dumb, but where is the ALTgr key?

It’s not on all keyboards. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key

Thanks, I do not have it, any substitute keyboard shortcuts?

Did you try Ctrl + Alt as suggested in the Wikipedia article? I’ve no idea if the key combo will work, as I’ve never used it for anything that required the AltGr key.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2760897]Womble, hate to sound dumb, but where is the ALTgr key?[/QUOTE]

It’s the right-hand Alt key and on some keyboards it’s just labelled “Alt”.

My keyboard looks similar to this one.

As Albert says it’s not on all keyboards but it’s on most of them as it’s part of the standard US and UK keyboard layouts.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Got it, Thanks Wombler.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2760921]
As Albert says it’s not on all keyboards but it’s on most of them as it’s part of the standard US and UK keyboard layouts.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

We over here on this side of the pond are a…simplistic bunch. :stuck_out_tongue:

It may be standard, but it’s unfortunately not quite commonplace on Windows machines. Looking up how to enable the functionality for users in the U.S. tells tales of (at best) switching to an international English layout or employing a hotkey program to replicate the single-button AltGr functionality. I do suppose that’s preferable to always having to hit Ctrl + Alt. At worst, users find out that switching to a different layout results in the right key doing absolutely nothing. Some software produced by companies in the U.S. will also ignore the key when using a different layout, meaning it can’t be used as a unique hotkey.

Why the U.S. has to be so special, I’ll never know. At least OS X replicates the functionality fairly well (though both Alts are still Alt for a U.S.-spec Mac). I’ve no idea what Linux does.

[QUOTE=Albert;2760924]We over here on this side of the pond are a…simplistic bunch. :stuck_out_tongue:
[/QUOTE]

Far from it Albert. :slight_smile:

It may be standard, but it’s unfortunately not quite commonplace on Windows machines. Looking up how to enable the functionality for users in the U.S. tells tales of (at best) switching to an international English layout or employing a hotkey program to replicate the single-button AltGr functionality. I do suppose that’s preferable to always having to hit Ctrl + Alt. At worst, users find out that switching to a different layout results in the right key doing absolutely nothing. Some software produced by companies in the U.S. will also ignore the key when using a different layout, meaning it can’t be used as a unique hotkey.

Why the U.S. has to be so special, I’ll never know. At least OS X replicates the functionality fairly well (though both Alts are still Alt for a U.S.-spec Mac). I’ve no idea what Linux does.

So does Ctrl + Alt work over there for most people?

That would be an acceptable alternative as it’s still easier than all the Character Map malarkey.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Using an old desktop keyboard, thankfully the right Alt acts like AltGr, and Ctrl + Alt + Print Screen works.

An issue comes in when using Apple’s now-standard-across-all-its-devides compact keyboard layout (no dedicated print screen, no dedicated right alt). It results in a need to hit Control + Opt/Alt (for AltGr) + Fn + Shift + F11 (for Print Screen), and it fails miserably. It may be that Apple’s keyboard hardware can’t handle 5 simultaneous key presses, or maybe their driver can’t pass the intended key combos to Windows, but it’s a failure.

Let me see if the keyboard for the Surface Pro 3 (effectively a compact key layout, with no Print Screen) allows me to do anything… Fn+Spacebar replicates Print Screen OK, and Right Alt works (as does Ctrl + left Alt). So minus the hoops you must jump through, it works!

Well, I’ve learned something new: if you do a bunch of unwieldy key combinations, things may or may not work. :bigsmile: I’d hate to see what happens with other keyboards; it seems all too easy to get into a sticky situation.

So it seems the right Alt keyboard is more respected than I thought, but it’s definitely an afterthought around these parts.