Only 4.3gb on dvd+r?

on the box of my maxell dvd+rs, it saids 4.7gb.

but nero refuse to burn anything above 4.3gb to the dvd+r, why?

i heard about overburning, but i fear of it damaging my drive, duel layer disc cost as much as 10dvd+rs here in my country, so that’s not an option.

please help, i own winxp sp2 with liteon 1693s

4.35gig is the norm for all DVD writable media except DL, the remaining is format space and such!

This is a result of two different standards being used for defining what the “Giga” in GigaByte means.

The decimal standard used on the packaging is:
kilo = 1000 , Mega = 1000 kilo, Giga = 1000 Mega

The binary standard used in Windows is:
kilo = 1024 , Mega = 1024 kilo, Giga = 1024 Mega

The amount of space on a blank “4.7GB” DVD is slightly over 4,700,000,000 bytes which by one standard is 4.7GB and by the other standard is 4.38GB.

Attempts have been made to get people to use new binary prefixes for the binary standard, e.g. ki = kibi = 1024 , Mi = Mebi = 1024 kibi, Gi = Gibi = 1024 Mebi, but this hasn’t been very successful so far.

The capacity of a blank DVD would be 4.38 GiB using the binary prefix standard.

i heard about overburning, but i fear of it damaging my drive, duel layer disc cost as much as 10dvd+rs here in my country, so that’s not an option.

please help, i own winxp sp2 with liteon 1693s
Your LiteOn 1693S cannot overburn DVD media.

Your LiteOn 1693S cannot overburn DVD media.

um, i found this site, it saids it can overburn dvd+rs…

so do you think i should do it? should i overburn my dvd+r?

will i damage my drive?

First find out if your drive is capable for overburn function if yes then go ahead do it nothing should badly happen.

Here read this for enlightenment: http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R DL and DVD-R/DVD-RW exact sizes

DVD-R/DVD-RW = 4 706 074 624 bytes ( 4488 MB )
DVD+R/DVD+RW = 4 700 372 992 bytes ( 4482 MB )
DVD+R DL = 8 547 993 600 bytes ( 8152 MB )

Where does it say that?

The LiteOn 1693S can overburn CD-R media, but it cannot overburn other media.

will i damage my drive?
No, but your burn will fail when it reaches the stated capacity of the DVD if you even manage getting a program to attemptthe overburn, but more likely the overburn wil just refuse to start.