Online retailer wants to claim damages from HP for not allowing use of non-HP ink cartridges

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Online retailer wants to claim damages from HP for not allowing use of non-HP ink cartridges[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/09/myce-HP-Ink-Cartridges-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

The online ink retailer who discovered that HP pre-programmed a failure date of non-HP cartridges in the firmware of its printers wants the printer manufacturer to compensate its customers for only being able to use expensive HP ink.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/online-retailer-wants-claim-damages-hp-not-allowing-use-non-hp-ink-cartridges-80484/](http://www.myce.com/news/online-retailer-wants-claim-damages-hp-not-allowing-use-non-hp-ink-cartridges-80484/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I only use genuine Canon Ink, but I had an HP for a long time and it was a long time ago, and everyone who was using third party inks messed up their printer, what a mess. These printer company’s don’t make a dime on the printers, they make money on the ink. So lets get real here. If you want to pay under 100 bucks for a good printer use that companys ink. :iagree:

I agree Alan, the current ink-jet scheme is pay for use… Which is why I have used Laser printers for the last two decades (only two have been needed, first the HP LaserJet 6P from 1997/98 that refused to die until the parallel port disappeared, and the current HP Color LaserJet 3600DN. I do use HP cartridges though and for the latter it costs me a small fortune swapping the four, though I only ever had to do it once so far, about a year ago and with at least five years until the next time I guess it is O.K.)

With the above said, it is somewhat sleazy operating with set failure dates if and only if using 3rd-party cartridges without informing the customer clearly that it is a prerequisite to use originals :flower:

Well Xercus, as you said it costs a small fortune to swap all four toners…now try to imagine your life having the need to replace your toners not once in 5 years, but every 5 months (because not everybody has the same needs). The math ain’t that complicated to reach the conclusion that you will soon be selling your kidneys… some people need their kidneys more than their esoteric need to support HP’s just cause in keeping true to their annual $ target…

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2781580]Well [B]Xercus[/B], as you said it costs a small fortune to swap all four toners…now try to imagine your life having the need to replace your toners not once in 5 years, but every 5 months (because not everybody has the same needs). The math ain’t that complicated to reach the conclusion that you will soon be selling your kidneys… some people need their kidneys more than their esoteric need to support HP’s just cause in keeping true to their annual $ target…[/QUOTE]
That is why Generic ink makers are here to say. Until the StrongMan HP ink stops being Greedy they will always have Generic Ink sellers. That is called Market Forces-make your product out of reach and someone will come to fill the need. Don’t like it then stop gauging the consumers then.

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2781580]Well [B]Xercus[/B], as you said it costs a small fortune to swap all four toners…now try to imagine your life having the need to replace your toners not once in 5 years, but every 5 months (because not everybody has the same needs). The math ain’t that complicated to reach the conclusion that you will soon be selling your kidneys… some people need their kidneys more than their esoteric need to support HP’s just cause in keeping true to their annual $ target…[/QUOTE]

We have to differentiate of course and while I have used HP replacements since I don’t pay for it myself (obviously), there are options like 3rd-party solutions. However, the math is as you say rather easy and calculating it you would probably reach the conclusion that per page, a laser printer is cheaper than an InkJet printer.
It can not be generalized to such a level though as it will largely be a battle of quality/the need of the individual and if you mainly print CD/DVD covers and maybe on top of actual burned CD-/DVD-R, an InkJet is to be considered a winner by walkover as a laser printer probably can’t compete even for the cover (printing on CD/DVD media being impossible, even for some InkJets).

I agree with you, thanks

you can check their official website

My old 990 the aftermarket inks used to work fine plus the carts they had back then included the print head built in so replace the cart you got a brand new print head. Early on I was even buying ink refill kits from Costco and could usually get a few refills before the electronics or print head gave out on the original HP carts.
Now it’s so old most of the after market carts are junk and last one I bought was a expired new XL color cart. I had to manually prime it through the fill hole plug and it worked OK after that but I finally gave up and bought a new Epson 3640 multi function that has almost every bell and whistle I could ever need for 94 bucks. Time will tell whether the print heads clog or after market carts are worth buying but once I finally got the ink usage and paper quality dialed in it prints as nice as my 990 and does a lot more. A new set of factory carts is about 60 bucks at Costco and I’ve seen aftermarket ones but haven’t needed ink yet.
They deserve the beating they get for this and cheapening out their once fine tanklike printers with tiny carts and poor build quality. I hope they release the downgrade firmware they have promised since they got found out.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2781605]We have to differentiate of course and while I have used HP replacements since I don’t pay for it myself (obviously), there are options like 3rd-party solutions. However, the math is as you say rather easy and calculating it you would probably reach the conclusion that per page, a laser printer is cheaper than an InkJet printer.
It can not be generalized to such a level though as it will largely be a battle of quality/the need of the individual and if you mainly print CD/DVD covers and maybe on top of actual burned CD-/DVD-R, an InkJet is to be considered a winner by walkover as a laser printer probably can’t compete even for the cover (printing on CD/DVD media being impossible, even for some InkJets).[/QUOTE]
You are of course right about the differences between laser/inkjet printers, but my point on a financial basis stands for both :slight_smile:

It is true that “These printer company’s don’t make a dime on the printers, they make money on the ink”. I just don’t agree with the “If you want to pay under 100 bucks for a good printer use that companys ink” part. If they want to make money on the consumables, they should offer the printers for free (or a very low price compared to its true cost) o[U]n the condition[/U] that you use their inks/toners exclusively - it is the same with lots of medical equipment and I am sure with other stuff also. It would then be my choice to use it or not.