Online music piracy forces artists to release music early

I just posted the article Online music piracy forces artists to release music early.

As soon as music makes to a file sharing network, it becomes incredibly  difficult to remove it since one would need to track down and remove every  source that has a copy.  While the ...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8760-Online-music-piracy-forces-artists-to-release-music-early.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8760-Online-music-piracy-forces-artists-to-release-music-early.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Greedy bas***ds,hope it shows up on the net and no-one buys it. They should take leaf out of george michaels book,who has the honesty to admit he’s made millions so is happy to release his material on the net. The bigger the band the more they believe their own hype. Most of their recent stuff is crap anyway.

its about time, its what you get for sitting on an album for months after its done. Waiting to release it so that you can strategically try and sell more. You’re already rich, theres no need to leave an album sitting around for months and months waiting to be released :slight_smile:

(extract from “the famous thief” by pierre cordeaux) "as I made my way through the darkened studio I saw it, it had to be the one, the new U2 tape, after all it had a 6 x3 sign in dayglo orange saying “new U2 tape” with an arrow pointing to the media!!.. Any press is good press… :X

> They should take leaf out of george michaels book,who has the honesty to admit he’s made millions so is happy to release his material on the net. < Hmm, I am still waiting for him to release it for free …??? Do you have an URL?

It’s good that it’s going to make them release music when it’s ‘done’ and not sit around trying to time the release for maximum sales but there is also a very big down side to this. If artists are having to ‘rush release’ stuff purely to try offer fans a legal way of downloading stuff so they dont all grab it illegally, it means they’re not going to have the time they want to finish and perfect the album. Little ‘extras’ or ‘tweaks’ to the album they might have been planning to do before releasing it. Or if they wanted to get a chance to listen to it all the way through and make sure they considered it ‘perfect’ or sounding just how they like. Instead they’re being forced to just release the version as it is then. This could result in a drop of quality of the music, and also result in artists themselves no longer being happy with how their music sounds what to speak of their fans. On the whole I’d say this isn’t a good situation.

sounds to me “rough cut” is perhaps a little closer if not " ready to be pressed"…