Onkyo TX-SR805 - good choice of AV Receiver?

Hello
Thank you for the responses on my PS3 blu-ray player thread. I read up some other threads and it looks like many members here recommend Onkyo TX-SR805 AV Receiver.

Here in the UK prices are not as cheap as in the US so I would like to make a careful plan before purchasing.

• Is Onkyo a good brand?
  • Why does this unit better than other recommendations I see here, for example Yamaha RX-V663?
  • Why pick this unit and not the cheaper Onkyo TX-SR605 or TX-SR705?

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Yes it’s a good choice. The Onkyo 805 is better than the Yamaha 663.

One important thing if you’re using HDMI, the Onkyo will pass all video levels unmodified over HDMI, while the Yamaha is reported to clip HDMI inputs and only levels 16-235 are passed. So you won’t get very black (levels below 16) or very white (above 235). Members of AVS reported these issues during their calibration test.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1010178

So if you do get that Onkyo 805, enjoy it, it’s a great unit!

[QUOTE=Celina;2047983]Hello
Thank you for the responses on my PS3 blu-ray player thread. I read up some other threads and it looks like many members here recommend Onkyo TX-SR805 AV Receiver.

Here in the UK prices are not as cheap as in the US so I would like to make a careful plan before purchasing.

• Is Onkyo a good brand?
  • Why does this unit better than other recommendations I see here, for example Yamaha RX-V663?
  • Why pick this unit and not the cheaper Onkyo TX-SR605 or TX-SR705?

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

You’re comparing apples and oranges to some degree. It’s a matter of which features you need and things like the number of HDMI inputs, power ratings, etc. The 805 would more closely compare to the Yamaha 863 or 1800.

The Yamaha 663 is an amazing value for the features and function. The above mentioned 16-235 color “issue” is a red herring, and bears no relevance to anyone other than HTPC users, even then it’s a doubtful issue and should be ignored.

It really boils down to your price requirements and needs for inputs and features. Any of your choices will be good if it meets those needs. Also good to note that you can get a good HDMI switcher for $50 that will allow you to use 4 HDMI inputs. If you plan a 7:1 speaker setup, you should avoid the Onkyo 605 since it cannot use 7:1 decoders over 5:1 sources. All the other choices can do this.

If you’re building a new system, select your speakers first then get a receiver that has appropriate power ratings.

[quote=bourned;2048659]Yes it’s a good choice. The Onkyo 805 is better than the Yamaha 663.

One important thing if you’re using HDMI, the Onkyo will pass all video levels unmodified over HDMI, while the Yamaha is reported to clip HDMI inputs and only levels 16-235 are passed. So you won’t get very black (levels below 16) or very white (above 235). Members of AVS reported these issues during their calibration test.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1010178

So if you do get that Onkyo 805, enjoy it, it’s a great unit![/quote]
But if you are using any of the above mentioned Onkyos and want to go with component in/HDMI out it will downconvert 1080P to 720P. You have to go with HDMI In/out or component in/out to get get untouched signal. Most people now a days would be going with HDMI in/out anyways but it’s always good to know.
One other thing is that the 805 creates a lot more heat than the 605 or 705 should it should be placed in a (very) well ventlilated spot.

[QUOTE=crossg;2048786]But if you are using any of the above mentioned Onkyos and want to go with component in/HDMI out it will downconvert 1080P to 720P. You have to go with HDMI In/out or component in/out to get get untouched signal. Most people now a days would be going with HDMI in/out anyways but it’s always good to know.
[/QUOTE]
I’d add that using an AVR to convert component to HDMI is never a great idea. It’s much better to feed the component to the monitor as-is. Upconverting and upscaling AVR’s have very little value, IMHO, since the quality of the video chips is not that good. In most cases you’ll get equal or better quality letting the monitor do this.

[QUOTE=CDan;2048932]I’d add that using an AVR to convert component to HDMI is never a great idea. It’s much better to feed the component to the monitor as-is. Upconverting and upscaling AVR’s have very little value, IMHO, since the quality of the video chips is not that good. In most cases you’ll get equal or better quality letting the monitor do this.[/QUOTE]

Correct, very dependent on the chips ability.

:cool::cool:

Just ordered the Onkyo 805; $672.00 with free 3-5 day shipping.

You will be happy with that purchase. :iagree:

[quote=The Kipper;2049166]Just ordered the Onkyo 805; $672.00 with free 3-5 day shipping.

Obviously I live in the wrong country. The 805 is on sale here for $1348.00. I paid about $140.00 more than you for the 705.:frowning: Oh well enjoy your new toy.:slight_smile:

The Kipper, you’re lucky, amazon sold out and now sold from 6ave. Did the order get through?

crossg, you’re not lucky haha! With current exchange price here we can get two 805 plus some change!

I’ve been reading some of the reviews about this unit catching on FIRE!!! :eek:

I guess I’ll wait for something else.

[quote=hobo10;2049588]I’ve been reading some of the reviews about this unit catching on FIRE!!! :eek:
[/quote]Was it just “hot” or really fire? Link?

From what I read there are some that are hot and others say no problem with their unit. I think we know that usually people post when there is a problem but never post when they are just fine.

[QUOTE=zevia;2049826]Was it just “hot” or really fire? Link?

From what I read there are some that are hot and others say no problem with their unit. I think we know that usually people post when there is a problem but never post when they are just fine.[/QUOTE]

In the link that The Kipper supplied

and scroll down to the bottom of the page and on the right side.
Most Recent Customer Reviews

blew up
The sound was great, for 20 minutes then I heard a pop and smoke shot out the top of the unit, what a rip off!!! Will be returning unit for a different brand.
Published 5 days ago by Angel B. Dugan

Support from Amazon, Onkyo after 30 days stinks!!!
37 days after I hooked this receiver up guess what happened? It died in a blaze of sparks, flames and white light!! Scared the S*it out of me!!! Read more
Published 13 days ago by Michael Kinney

Theres always neg review even if it’s 4.5 - 5 stars! (amazon reviews rated this one 4.5 star)
Same with all electronic stuffs.

Not saying that this model is perfect and no defective unit in the product line but how do ya know it’s not user (reviewer) error?

[QUOTE=hobo10;2049845]In the link that The Kipper supplied

and scroll down to the bottom of the page and on the right side.
Most Recent Customer Reviews

blew up
The sound was great, for 20 minutes then I heard a pop and smoke shot out the top of the unit, what a rip off!!! Will be returning unit for a different brand.
Published 5 days ago by Angel B. Dugan

Support from Amazon, Onkyo after 30 days stinks!!!
37 days after I hooked this receiver up guess what happened? It died in a blaze of sparks, flames and white light!! Scared the S*it out of me!!! Read more
Published 13 days ago by Michael Kinney[/QUOTE]

There were a 106 reviews, and you focus on the worst ones and who’s to say that it’s not the same person that is holding a grudge. It’s my opinion that one should always thoroughly investigate a product before making a purchase and get the point of views from more than one source. Avoid impulse buying.

Well…you show me any other models that caught on fire?
I have a family and care too much to put them in any kind of danger…for my entertainment.

EDIT:
The reason is that this unit wouldn’t be in the same room. It would be in a special room that is hidden and very spacious. So we wouldn’t be able to see if it caught on fire or not.

My Manual says leave at least 8" of free space on top and sides and 4’’ at the rear to allow warm air to escape. Bet those individuals that had a fire or sparks did not have that space. There are probably millions that own the 805 and haven’t had issues. If I had the extra cash I’d have one. No I don’t work for Onkyo.:wink:

Anyways just thought I would share an FYI for people that have Onkyo’s. While watching BD movie the other night I decided I needed to tweak the center channel up a notch and without thinking I went into the the Onkyo speaker setup and did not stop the movie, as soon as I clicked speaker calibration a big BOOM happened through all of my speakers and the Onkyo shut down. Talk about loud.:eek: Everything seems to be OK but you may want to shut off any inputs before going into the Onkyo setup. I have no idea what I was thinking by not stopping or pausing the movie but I am sure I will remember next time.

Yo Greg-

Lucky that you didn’t blow some or all your speakers - 'cause the 705 and 805 is hella powerful with the WRAT systems-

Mine continues to run ‘slightly warm to the touch’ after hours of watching movies - and I am still amazed and blown away by the sounds produced - even after owning a Denon 3802 (never really thought I could say that)-

For a sub $700 receiver - I am convinced that there is absolutely no other current AVR that can compete heads up and dollar for dollar-eh!!

If temperature is an issue, then you could do something like this.

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2055686]If temperature is an issue, then you could do something like this.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]Manufacturer - Model Number and/or Link would be appreciated by all interested parties-eh?? :iagree: