One quarter of homes use only cell phones

vbimport

I just posted the article One quarter of homes use only cell phones.

Landline phones aren’t dead, but they’re on the way to obscurity with one in four U.S. households relying only on cell phones.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/one-quarter-of-homes-use-only-cell-phones-29675/](http://www.myce.com/news/one-quarter-of-homes-use-only-cell-phones-29675/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

We have used a Magic Jack as our house phone line for the past 15 months. It is connected to a series of Panasonic handsets placed throughout the house and it has proven to have the same quality and reliability as the Verizon land line it replaced. Magic Jack has proven to be just as reliable as Vonage, Comcast and other VoIP services and for an annual fee of only $20 per year. We use our cell phones as backup should the Internet connection go down but I can’t recall one time where this has been a problem or the call quality of the Magic Jack was an issue. We are saving nearly $1,000 per year by totally dropping Verizon.

Just wondering. I have a combined deal thru AT&T. I get a Dish receiver with DVR for 2 TV’s plus 120 channels. Unlimited land line, DSL, 2 Cell phones with 800 mins. and free calls after 6 p.m. My total bill is 179.00. I I went to Magic jack I wonder if I would save or it by breaking my present bundle, it would cost me more in the long run. I have AT&T since 1975 and they told me the package I have is because I keep renewing it and I cold never get that deal again. This also includes coverage inside and outside the house, another worlds, if anything breaks, they fix it. Just wondering. Everyone that I know who has Magic Jack, loves it, but they pay a lot more for their other services.

P.S. How you doing UTR, haven’t seen any of your posts for a while, I hope all is well!

LOL I’m one of those people, I don’t have a landline anymore either!

I have saved so much money by going prepaid with Net10 and ditching my land line and my cell phone contract!! In fact I stand to save $800.00 this year alone from just that one thing! My calls now cost me 10c per minute and my texts 5c each and there are no hidden costs like roaming fees at all. I’m now in complete control of my budget and the best of all no phone bills at the end of the month to scare me!

I got Majicjack, and have yet to have a phone call last longer than 32 seconds before getting cut off. Tried troubleshooting but nothing covers calls that quit after half a minute. Guess I get what I pay for.

[QUOTE=kukdgooz;2517993]I got Majicjack, and have yet to have a phone call last longer than 32 seconds before getting cut off. Tried troubleshooting but nothing covers calls that quit after half a minute. Guess I get what I pay for.[/QUOTE]

Try this site for some help: http://www.magicjacksupport.com/index.php

I would look at your hardware and quality of your Internet connection first as this is where 99% of MJ problems occur.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2517836]P.S. How you doing UTR, haven’t seen any of your posts for a while, I hope all is well![/QUOTE]

All is good here. I have been extremely busy with work and don’t have a lot of free time to post much.

[QUOTE=UTR;2517832]We have used a Magic Jack as our house phone line for the past 15 months. It is connected to a series of Panasonic handsets placed throughout the house and it has proven to have the same quality and reliability as the Verizon land line it replaced. Magic Jack has proven to be just as reliable as Vonage, Comcast and other VoIP services and for an annual fee of only $20 per year. We use our cell phones as backup should the Internet connection go down but I can’t recall one time where this has been a problem or the call quality of the Magic Jack was an issue. We are saving nearly $1,000 per year by totally dropping Verizon.[/QUOTE]Yea we have magic jack too, but the only problem with it is that you have to have your computer on in order to use it. Hopefully the company that produces magic jack or a company like the company that produces magic jack will come up with something similar to magic jack that does not require you to keep your computer on to use it.

You guys with only mobiles for calling. What do you use for broadband??

[QUOTE=skyblue14213;2518115]Yea we have magic jack too, but the only problem with it is that you have to have your computer on in order to use it. Hopefully the company that produces magic jack or a company like the company that produces magic jack will come up with something similar to magic jack that does not require you to keep your computer on to use it.[/QUOTE]

There is another company offering a stand-alone box and service. I can’t speak for their quality and reliability though. One thing I feel pretty confident of is that Magic Jack looks to be a long term entity so that is why I plan to stick with them. Plus, the darn thing works very well. What a lot of people with a Magic Jack are doing is dedicating a thin client for Magic Jack use. Thin clients use very little electricity and can be found pre-configured on ebay etc.

i, too, tried magic jack and found that my calls would cut out and at some point cut off completely. i had a good, stable, cable internet connection that worked excellently with vonage, so i fail to see how the problem could have been with my connection or my equipment.

Thanks to this awesome thing i can automatically connect analog telephones to a VOIP service. It saves me tons of money by using a VOIP all-in plan.

It’s successor comes with a built in DECT base station as well, which would even be more awesome.