One-piece two-in-one free software?

Can you advise me as to whether or not there is a freeware product available which would enable me to convert the vts/vob files on my DVDs to wmv / avi, etc., and then edit them so that I can post them on Net websites? Or would I have to use 2 different products to convert / edit (or edit and THEN convert - which way around IS it?).

The files are musical (my band) and there are no copyright issues.

As you can no doubt tell from the foregoing remarks, I have a very limited amount of technical skill. I have tried the DVD Shrink 3.2 & Any Video Converter programs, but my attempts at posting have so far been unsuccessful (“wrong file type” messages, etc.).

I have tried to just google my way through all of this, but there are so many programs - some of which, of course, state that they are free, but are not so really - that I have to admit defeat. If the only solution would be to buy a program(s), then I would consider it, but a “free trial” would be necessary to avoid an expensive mistake.

Can you help?

How intensive are your editing requirements? If all you want to do is cut sections out, you can do this with DVDShrink in ReAuthor mode using the Start/End Frame tool. The output will be a small dvd-video which you can convert to xvid avi or mpg4 using Handbrake, AutoGK, or Xvid4PSP (among others).

If you need another format, like .flv, look at SUPER.
All of these tools are free to download and use.

If you want more editing options, like the ability to join sections, you will probably want to convert first to avi then edit in Virtualdub or AviDemux. Mpeg2 found in dvd-video isn’t the best format for editing, though it can be done. The better mpeg2 editing programs aren’t free though.

You can take a look at this one:

I’ve not used it so I can’t say how good or bad it is.

Thanks, guys, for your fast reponse.

I’ll check those out tomorrow - and maybe get back to you.

Much obliged.

Terry.

I followed the instructions re DVD Shrink, and then tried each of the other programs, but after 5 hours I am giving up and going for a few beers.

Usual messages that I never understand about file-types being wrong, can’t locate this-or-that, etc. Even when I managed to get something edited in Xvid4PSP I couldn’t transfer the audio file so the band could only be seen and not heard (some might say that’s a blessing).

As the late Tommy Cooper used to say, “If at first you don’t succeed . . . . . give it up as a bad job!”

Thanks anyway.

Terry.

[QUOTE=Terry Sleeper;2194022]I followed the instructions re DVD Shrink, and then tried each of the other programs, but after 5 hours I am giving up and going for a few beers.

Usual messages that I never understand about file-types being wrong, can’t locate this-or-that, etc. Even when I managed to get something edited in Xvid4PSP I couldn’t transfer the audio file so the band could only be seen and not heard (some might say that’s a blessing).

As the late Tommy Cooper used to say, “If at first you don’t succeed . . . . . give it up as a bad job!”

Thanks anyway.

Terry.[/QUOTE]

If I may be allowed to eat humble pie and respond to my inane remarks above.

A little patience and trial-and-error goes a long way.

DVD Shrink and a program called Any Video Converter do the trick.

[I]Mea culpa[/I], gents.

T.