One of my burners won't burn on my new system - Any thoughts?

vbimport

Ok, a little background:

I have two burners, a Pioneer and a Lite-On (models don’t really matter right now)

In the past, I had the Pioneer as the Master (on the end of the IDE ribbon cable) and the Lieon as the slave on the middle of the cable.

Now I have put a new PC together and this time using round ATA133 IDE cables.

And also reversed the drives.

Make the Pioneer and Slave on the middle connector and the Liton the master at the end of the cable.

I have (of course) set the jumpes on the back of the units to reflect this.

They both read DVD’s fine, and I have been burning a few DVD’s with Nero using the Liteon master.

Tonight I tried buring with the Pioneer, and it started to do the burn. But before it even got to 2% (and Neros buffer kicked in) I got a burn error.

Tried with two blank disks and the same thing.

Changed to the Liteon drive and burned fine.

Before I go into any more details, any obvious reasons this might happen, or things I should check?

Thanks

@ PiggiePaul,

To alleviate any confusion the Pioneer series DVR-111/112/115 DVD Burners to operate and function correctly require to use of an Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable (http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html) and operate in the Ultra DMA Mode 4 (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616).

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks for the posting.

I know I’ve not gone into any detail yet, I’m just wondering if there is a glarind issue I should know about.

Perhaps Pioneer drives want to be the master, or something like that?

My drive models are:

MASTER (end of round AT133 cable) LITE-ON LH-20A1P
SLAVE (middle on the same cable) PIONEER DVR-112

Before, in my old system I was also using these two drives together (but the other way round) and on an actual 80 way ribbon cable, instead of this new 80 way ROUND ribbon cable.

Any tests I could run to find out why the Pioneer is stopping a burn almost as soon as it starts?

Just a tiny update.

Put DVD I burned on the LiteOn into the Pioneer and it READS the DVD fine.

Hi :slight_smile:
As the Pioneer gave no problems as Master.
I would try this.
Revert back to Pioneer = Master Lite-On = Slave.
Also changing the cable from ribbon to round.
Maybe there is a problem with cable.
Try ribbon again, especially if there’s a reason why you changed the Master/Slave bit round.

[QUOTE=zebadee;2084064]Hi :slight_smile:
As the Pioneer gave no problems as Master.
I would try this.
Revert back to Pioneer = Master Lite-On = Slave.
Also changing the cable from ribbon to round.
Maybe there is a problem with cable.
Try ribbon again, especially if there’s a reason why you changed the Master/Slave bit round.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I could sitch them back round and have the Pioneer as master again.

To be totally honest, I’m not really sure why I switched them in the 1st place!

I got rid of the ribbon as I was trying for good air flow in my new system and they stupidly put the IDE connector right at the very bottom of the board !!!

So, needed to get a 90cm cable the actually reach the drives and being a round ATA cable it was a lot neater than having a wide ribbon going across everything in the system.