One Microsoft concept in the works, One Windows to rule them all

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: One Microsoft concept in the works, One Windows to rule them all[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/01/myce-microsoft-logo.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/one-microsoft-concept-in-the-works-one-windows-to-rule-them-all-69675/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Yeah good luck with that MS

They continue to ignore the fact that many people don’t like the new interface on pc’s. It isn’t a great improvement when using mouse and keyboard.

And I have no intention of buying into their closed garden of software when using a pc.

Here’s a telling segment of Larson-Green’s idea of Microsoft controlling your future:

[B][I]”We have a great platform…that scales from mobile devices to giant large screen devices to your living room. ”[/I][/B]

Notice, it’s all “sit back and pay, consume” devices. Nothing to create. Nothing for productivity.

And…

[I][B]”…We’re working on a world where we make it easy for you to have many different devices in your life. So signing in with your Live ID on a new device gives you back everything that you had on your old device.”[/B][/I]

Yes. Sign into Microsoft. Buy from them. Pay their fees. Give them total awareness of YOUR devices and YOUR uses.

Uh huh.

And actually, she means “[I][B]gives you back everything MICROSOFT ALLOWS…[/B][/I]” We already see their scrutiny, hooks, claws and denials of service in their current generation of products.

I wonder if she’ll let me have THAT information about HER? Next time, I’ll ask…

Ballmer, sadly, has continued to refuse to let me install 138 fonts on HIS computer that he’d never ever use.

i hope they are using mind-altering drugs before their planning conferences, at least that way they would have an excuse…being sober and making these plans is incredible.

"Larson-Green also “dreams”…I bet that isn’t the “dry” variety.

Makes you truly ponder what Starbucks puts in all of the Latte’s consumed by Microsoft Employees!
As for myself, the Double Espresso’s come from a local Ma & Pa Coffee House and My PCs are running Linux and Open Office.
My Keyboard and Mouse, you’ll have to pry from my cold dead hands.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2710679]They continue to ignore the fact that many people don’t like the new interface on pc’s. [/QUOTE]

This is what it means.

MS didn´t care about the negative opinions since the developers preview of W8 and continue.

Hope the next OS will also don´t sell good, maybe it gives them an idea what´s the reason.

That’s exactly what observers have predicted for years and Microsoft has said exactly that.

I’m not sure how this is news. Everyone knew they were trying to unify interfaces, no matter how stupid the idea was.

People use devices differently.
I have a phone, I have a tablet and I have PCs.
3 different screen sizes, 3 different sets of tasks.
The rest of the world realizes that means 3 different interfaces. Microsoft is just … stupid.

Even Facebook recognizes the difference between mobile phones and tablets.

My only question for that MS ‘leader’ is, “Can you name any two products or any time-period where Microsoft’s claims to unify THEIR products has ever worked? Or even been delivered? Microsoft has an almost perennial history of screwing up every unify-attempt.”

They’ve had multiple interfaces since Win first arrived. Even now, almost two decades since the demise of DOS, we still have strong uses for the CMD PROMPT. Even an elevated CMD prompt, too!

Or let’s talk about their applications, where the entire marketing effort of their Office Products promised “unified” menus and toolbars. None of that ever happened. They’ve managed to wipe everything and dump that horrendous Ribbon, which is really an alternate UI for that menu system.

Their failures at unifying their own apps has more years behind them than perhaps years ahead.

They can talk about unify, but I suspect the detection of new and unforeseen hardware will always bamboozle Microsoft’s UI and OS teams.

I agree BuffaloChuck. I linked the Bill Gates keynote in the article. I saw it live, it was very, very impressing but they never made it. I think .NET expectations were also much higher than they actually achieved. Not saying it’s not succesful but I think they had expected more. We’ll see if they can make it this time. At least there’s some competition now, that could be encouraging.

Perhaps you forgot the other two in the lead are also unifying their form factors, or interfaces, or operating systems, or whatever you choose to call. Google and Apple cannot and will not give up trying to unify.

The same has been going on for some decades in the electronics industry and entertainment industry.

Microsoft did not lead the move. The various industries, thousands of independent developers, all moved in the same direction.

So far, Google and Apple seem to lead with Microsoft trying to catch up.

They can talk about unify, but I suspect the detection of new and unforeseen hardware will always bamboozle Microsoft’s UI and OS teams.

That’s why Microsoft and Apple work together between them and with hardware manufacturers and standard committees in IT and ICT. And don’t forget Microsoft and Apple spend billions in things that make those hardware possible and grow within and without their campuses. Though their shares of patents are not sizable in terms of numbers and values when translated into acquisition cost, they are not left behind when issues like deciding on future form factors are under progress.

I wish them luck on giving everyone one UI for many devices. But MS changes their own UI.

What’s the use of Unifying UIs when they won’t leave the “user interface” for CREATE NEW FOLDER command alone for more than 2-3 UI versions?

Unify. Consistency. Microsoft doesn’t aim for consistency on even a few keystrokes.

They still dreaming…

Nagging the desktop-users will take them to buy a Win-phone which using the design the desktop-users hate

But I still don´t understand this

No matter now you spin it, Microsoft, your system still doesn’t run on a range of devices nearly nearly as large as the Linux kernel. Odds are, it probably never will, as they many devices will be too hard for MS to micro-manage.

Imagine a world where, once you finish being spied on wit one device, Microsoft can instantly resume with another device. To make things even better, you can also get a new pretty interface (I’m sure there’s one person on this earth who thinks its functional), which I’m sure Larson-Green considers to be “her baby”.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2711049]No matter now you spin it, Microsoft, your system still doesn’t run on a range of devices nearly nearly as large as the Linux kernel. Odds are, it probably never will, as they many devices will be too hard for MS to micro-manage.

Imagine a world where, once you finish being spied on wit one device, Microsoft can instantly resume with another device. To make things even better, you can also get a new pretty interface (I’m sure there’s one person on this earth who thinks its functional), which I’m sure Larson-Green considers to be “her baby”.[/QUOTE]

So, do you want iOS and/or Android on x86 PC?

What MS seems to not understand is that they are competing with companies that have decided to concentrate on one particular niche of the consumer market. This makes those companies greatly aware of what consumers want from their cell phones, tablets etc. and they have been tailoring their OSs to give the best experience for their consumers. MS thinks they can hammer their square peg (i.e. one version of Windows) into any round hole they choose and the consumer will love it. MS it cannibalizing the one area they dominate (desktop OS) to provide a crappy OS for phones and tablets. I think MS is being run by a bunch of marketing idiots. They need to disconnect their phone OS division from the desktop OS portion and let them develop independently.

UTR, you are absoluty right.

Ballmer began that shit, hope the new leader have a bit brain to understand what the ppl want

I understand the desire for a consistent UI, but since Microsoft refuses to maintain consistency, why pretend they can cloak the entire gadget world in it and that they’d never change any keystrokes, waves, waffles or winks, or whatever they’d use?

I am continuing my whines about Win8’s incredibly low user-customizations, it’s incredibly awful file-manager - all of which have been dropping lower and lower from Vista onward.

Microsoft can’t deliver a consistent OS file manager - how the HECK are they going to manage “consistency” on a wider range of gadgets? They can’t even maintain their own synonym’d folder names from one OS version to the next!

If they think they can gut their base-level OS and ditch it for a smart-phone, I suspect we’ll be looking at OCZ II. Or is that Novell III? Or maybe Lotus IV? All great chapters in how to run a company with highly respected products (if not The Top Rated One) into the ground…

Steve “I’ve got a shovel and I’m diggin’” Ballmer’s big dream: “I’m taking Microsoft to the new level! Hellooooo, China!” Keep digging, Steve. Keep digging.

I don´t care about good changes, I have no prob to learn. But I don´t like meaningless, stupid things