One good external HD and back up system

My boss asked me to recommend a back up system for the two computers they use in the office. Both are running Windows XP Pro. Peachtree is the accounting program used and runs on only one of the two computers. Today I suggested an external hard drive for storing back ups of Peachtree. I also suggested Norton Ghost to make a back up image of the two computers. A 500 GB external hard drive would be more than enough space to accomplish both objectives. I would like input on the best external drive option and if my suggestion is a good one. Thanks for any help offered.

My mum uses a Maxtor (350GB though) for external storage with her XP Pro machine, she’s had it quite some time now and it gets plenty of daily use.

Maxtor = Seagate (or vice-versa) these days, however, and Seagate have always been my preference for internal drives.

About backup software, we generally use Acronis True Image, which works well…obviously this is from the POV of a home user, though.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2072889]My mum uses a Maxtor (350GB though) for external storage with her XP Pro machine, she’s had it quite some time now and it gets plenty of daily use.

Maxtor = Seagate (or vice-versa) these days, however, and Seagate have always been my preference for internal drives.

About backup software, we generally use Acronis True Image, which works well…obviously this is from the POV of a home user, though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks…I’ll look at Acronis. I remember a thread a few weeks back on drives and enclosures. I think Seagate was the drive of choice. I’ll find it and see what enclosures were recommended. Thanks again!

Keep in mind that having a backup image on a external drive is one thing, but being able to access it from a system that has no OS is another thing entirely. Many systems cannot read external drives at the BIOS level, and some imaging software cannot access them from their recovery disc.

An internal drive does not have this limitation, and can serve the same function. If you want to impress your boss with your knowledge and concern for the business, tell him that NO single backup system is adequate, and you need a layered system.

I’d use an internal drive for images of the main drive, with copies on an external drive and additional copies on DVD stored off-site. In the event of a drive failure or Windows melt-down, the internal drive will have you up and running in just minutes. Keep the external drive unplugged except when in use, and it is safe from OS troubles.

Acronis has a scheduling function that can over-write or incrementally create images as often as you wish, and further has the ability to separately back up applications and files. It’s a fine program, but is not immune from the user’s lack of planning for disaster.

I must agree with CDan. You must have a multi-layered backup approach. I use Acronis to backup my 5 home computers (Windows XP Professional) to a 1 Terabyte external USB drive. I also, on my main computer, have an internal drive (not installed internally) that I connect via a USB to IDE converter and do an image of the internal hard drive on a set schedule (again using Acronis). The second hard drive in not installed but is just a simple USB plug away. Should the main hard drive fail I can (and have) just removed the defective one and installed the backup one. I do not install the second drive full time as there is no need to have it running all the time and creating more heat! I have also restored from the backup files with no problems - no operating system is not a problem as the Acronis Boot CD which you create has the USB drivers needed. Of course you should test this prior to needing it!!

In addition I use a 120GIG portable USB drive to backup just data files as needed. I also transfer very important files and programs to the server via FTP at my work place. After my first loss I am a firm believer that you can never have too much backup!!

Thanks a million! to all your replies.