One contiguious file

Ok, first off, sorry if this has been asked and answered. Searching from here is rather painful with our spotty slow 'net access :wink:

I have a movie that spans four disks. I know about the Merge feature for creating them down to one disk, but what I really want is to create one large mobile file. Merge will create the single disk, but it creates it with four chapters that will end up creating four files, plus it compresses to too tight for good video playback. What I have done so far is to create four Mobile>Generic MPG’s with the quality I want them in. Is there a way, using DVDFab, or some free software (don’t plan on doing this that often so don’t really want to pay for something I’m only going to use once or twice) that can combine them all together WITHOUT recompressing them? Just a plain “Join them together in X order” to make it one single file?

Hi Swany. If whatever you will be playing them on can play DVD folders, you can still use Merge mode but the folder will be huge. To make this work you will have to go into Common Settings–>Write and set the DVD9 size to Custom and type in a value that will let all the discs fit–maybe 30000MB or so–with a reasonable amount of compression (or none if you prefer). There is no way I know of to get all 4 discs into a single file using DVDFab’s DVD to Mobile as it will read the Merged output as 4 different titles and make 4 output files. I have an application that will join them (AVS Video Converter) but it is not free or cheap. There may be others I haven’t tried.

I thought about doing that in the settings, but again, it goes back to creating four files instead of just one.

I can remember the good 'ol days when you went to your DOS prompt and typed in C:>copy file1+file2+file3+file4 bigfile

Boy, thoes were the simple days :wink:

just google file joiners and/or file splitters. there are lots of utilities for splitting or joining various types of video file formats, so you should be able to find some trial ware which will work for a one-off project.

[quote=Swany6mm;1950068]I thought about doing that in the settings, but again, it goes back to creating four files instead of just one.

I can remember the good 'ol days when you went to your DOS prompt and typed in C:>copy file1+file2+file3+file4 bigfile

Boy, thoes were the simple days ;)[/quote]Yeah, the days of monochrome low-res monitors, floppy discs and 8 bit CPUs. And no DVDs.:slight_smile:

VOB2MPG can join all the VOBs of a title set into one big MPG.

[quote=olyteddy;1950580]VOB2MPG can join all the VOBs of a title set into one big MPG.[/quote]DVDFab can do this too (VOB Passthrough mode). The problem is Swany has more than one titleset.

The only problem with me going out and finding a file joiner is that to my understanding, most if not all recompress the file to make one file? Again, I am ignorant in this area, that’s why I’m asking :wink:

And there is nothing wrong with monochrome! (About to date myself here). My family was one of the very first on the block to get the ORIGINAL Pong game consol. And I used to play Dungeons and Dragons on the 'ol 8088 with the fancy ORANGE mono monitor :wink: Not that lame 'ol grey or green thing lol - (sighs of depression God I’m old haha)

a file joiner should do just that - join the files. it shouodn’t mess with compression if you are keeping the same format. Anyway you’ve nothing to lose by trying out some shareware - go to download.com & try the stuff with the best user ratings.

[QUOTE=cybmole;1950679]a file joiner should do just that - join the files. it shouodn’t mess with compression if you are keeping the same format. Anyway you’ve nothing to lose by trying out some shareware - go to download.com & try the stuff with the best user ratings.[/QUOTE]

Boilsoft had some of the best joiners or splitters that I have ever used (www.boilsoft.com) but they were not free.

I think MediaCoder can also join but I have never tried that out.

When I tried VirtualDub, I get an error that says that the video streams do not share a common sampling rate. First stream is 29.97003 and the second is 23.97602. I am assuming that it is refering to the frame rate? VirtualDub says that all settings must be exactly the same and all four segments were created the same way. I’m guessing it’s off due to the variable frame rate in using “Same As Source” and that I should re-do the videos, but this time pick a fixed rate. What is a good rate? I probably wont watch this on anything but my laptop LCD, computer CRT’s, and my Creative Zen Vision M.

By the way, thanks guys for the replies and the links. They are HIGHLY appriciated. You have NO idea how much you helped. Imaging being back in the 'ol 56k days :wink: That’s about where I’m at. A bit better, but only if other people aren’t using the 'Net.

Use TMPGEnc, use the MPEG TOOLS options.

_chef,

Thanks for the idea. Program looks cool, how ever, DVDFab outputs AVI files, not MPG files. I tried renaming them to MPG and running it, but TMPGEnc still rejects them and says they are not MPG files.

Swany
TMPGEnc is for MPEG-2 files only. It will take much longer than an AVI joiner to process the files, but you can use it if you process the files with the VOB Passthrough option in DVD to Mobile->Generic in DVDFab. The different frame rates may be a problem for anything.

//EDIT// Here is a link to a free AVI joiner with a small download footprint: http://www.downloadtaxi.com/d/1192339592
I have not tried it.

Thanks Signals. Downloading now. I’ll give it a try later as I need to head to bed to get ready for yet ANOTHER exciting day in…oh, wait, it’s not exciting here :wink:

I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the help!

You’re very welcome, hope it works. Still worried about the framerate differences. Time for lunch here–not exciting either:).

[QUOTE=Swany6mm;1951648]_chef,

Thanks for the idea. Program looks cool, how ever, DVDFab outputs AVI files, not MPG files. I tried renaming them to MPG and running it, but TMPGEnc still rejects them and says they are not MPG files.[/QUOTE]

Ah, then VirtualDub would have easily worked for, you probably havent done the step decompressing before operatng with the files. But thats necessary because the files have different values. :wink:

Ok, maybe I’m not getting it…I looked in VirtualDub, and I can find stuff about compressing, but nothing on decomressing? Am I missing a step? Or am I just being a Homer and will end up D’oh’ing? :wink: Sorry to bother, and I really did dig around. Heck, I even opened up the help file with out finding anything to relevent

I tried downloading that file signals, but it keeps dieing out on me about half way through. Don’t know if it’s the server or my net access.

I’m going to try and make this work with VirtualDub if I can. If not, it’s still a very watchable movie, just would rather have it in one file than 4 :wink: