One circular wide scuff mark on DVD+R, not DVD-R

Hi there!

I’ve recently been using Verbatim 16x DVD+R and Mitsubishi 8x DVD+R media in a HL DT SD (LG) GMA-8042N drive on an HP Pavillion 6095. Whenever I read DVD+R media, a large circular 360 degree round scuff mark appears on the media for every type.

However, it does not seem to appear on DVD-R 16x imation. The drive is compatible for both but only up to 8x.

Firstly, should 16x media work in this drive at all? Secondly should the scuff mark be there at all? I only have the one DVD burner, is there are scuff mark normally when burning DVD+Rs?

Thanks,

John

There should NOT be any scuff marks created by the drive for any reason whatsoever. In my opinion the drive is defective and you should replace it.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

I agree with DrageMester sounds like a defective drive to me also the only time I have
seen a drive leave a circular scuff mark is if the disc is still spinning when the drive tray
opens before the disc has time to spin down. I’ve had that same thing happen to me a
couple of times in the past with older drives not letting the disc come to a full stop and
letting the tray open while the disc was at or almost at full rotation thus scratching the
disc in the circular motion. Another thing that might be causing it to do that might be a
little bit of lint/dust/or some other foreign object has got in there a causing it to scratch
the discs like that. :eek:

Firstly, thanks guys!

I played a bit more with the drive last night and have an idea but it may just be chance. Last night I successfully burned a DVD-R with absolutely no scuff mark at all and looks perfect (Imation DVD-R 16x). This was preceeded with it scuffing a DVD+R (Verbatim 16x).

On looking in the drive, there is a connecting flat lead to the lens that is flexible to allow the lens to move. This connector is normally half tucked beneath the metal tray, but is currently slightly rising out of it. I think this is scraping the DVD+R Dvds which seem to write from the centre out, and its when the lens is at the centre it is scraping.

When the DVD-R is being used this is written (And read?) from the outside edge? Is this the case? And therefoer, the connecting wire is not in the same position and no longer scrapes.

Its my idea so far. I would agree the drive is not entirely happy but the laptop is out of warranty now and if I can get by with DVD-Rs thats fine! No CD or other DVD seems to be scratched, only the DVD+Rs!

Thanks,

john

[quote=jrm62;2070769]When the DVD-R is being used this is written (And read?) from the outside edge? Is this the case? And therefoer, the connecting wire is not in the same position and no longer scrapes.[/QUOTE] DVD-R media is also written from the inside edge outwards so there’s no difference there.

Its my idea so far. I would agree the drive is not entirely happy but the laptop is out of warranty now and if I can get by with DVD-Rs thats fine! No CD or other DVD seems to be scratched, only the DVD+Rs!
I would be very wary of using this drive since it scratches some discs - I would not put any disc into that drive, unless it’s blank or a backup of something else - the next disc you put into the drive could receive scuff marks, when the drive “decides” it will be fun to also scratch your other discs.

I suggest getting an external drive that can be attached by USB or FireWire.

i had the same problem with a philips drive and in the end it was cheaper to replace the drive(toshiba) is it got worse and i was throwing every2nd disc away without fail. took it to bits after replacing it and found that due to age things were loose and worn and bits of plastic were not smooth on the tray.make sure that none of the balls that hold the disc on the disc holder aren’t loose or missing,as that will cause the disc to wobble and scratch the disc as it moves.also i had a philips portable dvd player that did the same and in the end that got thrown away.
some hp drives are philips drives so it might be this that is the problem.philips have a problem with drives just look at their recordable dvd players. hope this helps but changing drives in the long run is the only way to go i think.

my local comp shop sells notebook drives for £40 inc vat

[QUOTE=jrm62;2070143]Hi there!

I’ve recently been using Verbatim 16x DVD+R and Mitsubishi 8x DVD+R media in a HL DT SD B GMA-8042N[/B] drive on an HP Pavillion 6095. Whenever I read DVD+R media, a large circular 360 degree round scuff mark appears on the media for every type.

However, it does not seem to appear on DVD-R 16x imation. The drive is compatible for both but only up to 8x.

Firstly, should 16x media work in this drive at all? Secondly should the scuff mark be there at all? I only have the one DVD burner, is there are scuff mark normally when burning DVD+Rs?

Thanks,

John[/QUOTE]

there is NO such drive and it never ever can record DVD media faster than 8x.