One big, one small which hard drive to use as master?

vbimport

Question guys and gals.

I already have a 160gb hard drive. Its fast running out of space with music, videos and games etc. So i’ve bought a 500gb hard drive to add to my system therefore giving me 650gb in total. One as a master and the other as a slave.

But the question is…which one should be the master? the smaller one or faster one? If i’m playing a game does it write to the master everytime or will it write to the disk its launched from? Eitherway which is best, smaller disk so that it doesn’t have to look as far or larger disk so that it doesn’t have to look too hard for free space?

My first thought was to put the operating system on the smaller one and everything else on the larger one so that it would boot quicker? But am unsure? Any ideas?

The 500GB is probably faster.

I’d be inclined to use the makers install tools to make a larger partition and transfer the old drive to the new, another partition for data you use, and a tail end partition (slowest part / longest seeks) for archiving things like install packages and convenience copies of stuff from CD or DVD media.

It can be hard to persuade a lot of things not to lean on the C drive, an awful lot defaults there, and much of it can be hard to persuade to go anywhere else.

[QUOTE=dharvey24;2155727]Question guys and gals.

I already have a 160gb hard drive. Its fast running out of space with music, videos and games etc. So i’ve bought a 500gb hard drive to add to my system therefore giving me 650gb in total. One as a master and the other as a slave.

But the question is…which one should be the master? the smaller one or faster one? If i’m playing a game does it write to the master everytime or will it write to the disk its launched from? Eitherway which is best, smaller disk so that it doesn’t have to look as far or larger disk so that it doesn’t have to look too hard for free space?

My first thought was to put the operating system on the smaller one and everything else on the larger one so that it would boot quicker? But am unsure? Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

I would say move your data and game install to the 500G and keep the 160G as the main drive. In my system I have the smaller drive as the main and the rest as storage and game install and data storage. Reason being when you install the O/S and Office, Adobe if you have it won’t take up the 160G drive there for leaving more space for future software installs. Here how my install was 1.5G for XP pro sp3 and with Office took up 4G or so. So a large HDD will never really fill up the main HDD. So use your 500G for storage and backup.

If I was You, I’d go n BUY another HDD…AN 80GB should be enough…That is what I got…80Gb with OS + Programs and a 500GB for all other things…Put the other drive in a Caddy. Or External case or inside n have 3 drives there…I NEVER Partition these days, Drives are Cheep.