Once again climbing the mtn. in search of knowledge

Once again I’m coming to you helpful souls in search of guidance…
A little while back I posted my dilemma on upgradind to dvd burning & how this would involve a new hard drive…
You were all MOST helpful & for that I thank you one & all…
Ended up w/ a Lite-On writer & a WD Caviar hard drive…
Problem is the hard drive came with no instructions…ZILCH…
I know this would mean nothing to the most of you,but to an old cumputer illiterate fool,it’s like putting on a blindfold!!!
Is there a webpage such as “Installing hard drives for dummies”" or some thing of the such???
I live in BF Wyoming & my other choices are taking it in for $65 an hour or they come here also $65 anhour but factor in travel time,40 miles away…
Now the thought of that isn’t appealing but would rather bite the bullet now than to tear into it & go to them when I have it a complete basket case…
Sorry so long winded ppl & once again many thanx for your patience
happydaze…
strangebrew

Have you ever opened up your PC case, strangebrew?

edit: we need to know what’s in there first to help you :slight_smile:

go here

http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2079-001026.pdf#search="installing%20western%20hard%20drive"

or here

I this is a larger drive you might want to make it the primary with windows on it there is a program Acronis True Image that will take the info on the hardrive you have not and make an image then install it on the new drive. Do a search of google for the program it has a free trial that should do what you need for this one drive. Once you have the image burnt to the new drive I would disconnect the prower to the old drive and then let the computer boot to the windows now on the new drive. If this works then I would set the new drive as primary and the old drive as secondary by the jumpers on the back of the drives connect the power to both drives and see if the computer still boots to the new drive. If so you can delete the info on the orginal
drive since it has been copied to the new drive. Since your new drive has alot more space I would not get in any big hurry to remove the old info from the old drive just leave it for a while to make sure everything works ok.

Your to far for me to come there from Arkansas or I would just come and help. If you could find a computer club or someone that you trust that knows something about computers then they could help it really is not that hard of a job but harder than installing a cd drive.

well…yeah…couple years ago muddled my way through installling a cd-burner…
Damn.SO is giving me the thumbs down…says pleeeeeeeeez let us get sommeone who knows what they’re doing…LOL…hmmmm…maybe she knows me too well

Well then, shut down, unplug the power cable and take the cover (or side-panel) off. Power back on, get on-line and stay ready to answer some questions. :slight_smile: