On the lookout for a new SATA DVD Burner?

vbimport

I found this burner on Amazon the other day, which is going so cheap I wanted to share it with the folks at Club MyCE. Might be perfect for anyone who is starting to build computers and wants a cheap but excellent burner, (I always buy the cheapest burner going :stuck_out_tongue: ) and considering it’s nearly 40% off, it’s a steal :slight_smile:

In other news, a pack of Memorex CD-R has now fallen from ~ £13 to around £10.79 for 100 - That makes it just over £5 per 50 - on Amazon. Again, if you want some excellent quality discs, than a pack of Memorex will be great for you :slight_smile:

Cheers chaps!

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2578861]…Again, if you want some excellent quality discs, than a pack of Memorex will be great for you :slight_smile:
[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? :eek: Memorex are among the worst media available in the market :bigsmile:

I’m being deadly serious - Most people that slam Memorex do so in favour because of their DVD production. Their DVD-R / DVD+R might not be all much, but I’ve burned a 50 pack with no failures at all - Two at most, under an Mosar Boar India MID code.

A rival website commenter on a board like this said “Their CD-R are top notch!” which pretty much summarises it :wink: Although I much prefer their old style to new one.

Although Geno, I must ask - Why is it that a brand with a reputation of Memorex (Big and mighty, rivaling proper companies like Maxell, etc) always seem to have their CD-Rs on sale, week in, week out? Something isn’t right. :eek:

All memorex DVD I burned were coasters at the end of burn, so my personal experience with that brand is definitely bad.

However, I admit that I never tried memorex CD. I misread your first post, I was assuming that you were talking about DVDs.

Sorry for my error :flower:

[QUOTE=geno888;2578868]All memorex DVD I burned were coasters at the end of burn, so my personal experience with that brand is definitely bad.

However, I admit that I never tried memorex CD. I misread your first post, I was assuming that you were talking about DVDs.

Sorry for my error :flower:[/QUOTE]

No worries mate :flower:

I haven’t tried Memorex DVD so I can’t comment on them, nor do I want to after all the condemnation Club MyCE has on them. Why bother, when the mighty Maxell exists (All of my DVD-R burning is now made by a proper, reputable manufacturer - Brand loyality held after their great UR cassettes and astounding video tapes :stuck_out_tongue: )

Damn taxes… I just checked prices and for some unknown reason in Italy prices are often a lot higher than in rest of Europe :Z:Z

Sometimes prices are double than other places :doh:

I must confess that I’m curious to test some Memorex CD :iagree:

Well, if you do bag yourself some, I can assure you you won’t regret it. Be VERY careful, however, that Memorex do outsource their products so where discs are produced can vary - I heard of CMC producing one spindle, then MBI doing the next, et al.

Not very good for consistency :doh: But Memorex as a brand have always been very faithful to me which like Maxell have built up it’s loyalty, just dodge their DVD-R like the plague!

Side note I want you to spread to newbie burners - ALWAYS TRUST A BRAND THAT HAS ANOTHER FORM OF MEDIA BEHIND IT, AND HAS A REPUTATION - Memorex too because their cassettes have been decent and their video tapes were astounding.

Their cassettes weren’t brilliant, but their VHS tapes were :bigsmile:

I only found these at a reasonable price, but there is no indication of the manufacturer :doh:

If I’ll purchase something from that store, I’ll include a box of these :slight_smile:

Good lord… I actually managed to convince a person using Memorex media! :eek: This is a milestone indeed! Well, the 50 pack I bought from Amazon had the older style packaging (but newer style discs compared to my first Memorex burn in 2004) like what you see on Nierle were MBI packaging. The newer packaging is garbage.

A friend bought exactly the same discs but in a 100 pack just before me which turned out to be, IIRC, CMC Magnetics discs. It is therefore very likely to be CMC Magnetics since they are appearing in more brands than ever now, sometimes even under Verbatim! :eek: Don’t let that put you off, infact, Memorex have been the best brand I have ever used for CD-R, much more desirable over Datawrite, Supermarket, Datasafe, and even Maxell - But that’s only where Memorex are preferred over Maxell in their CD-R department :slight_smile:

(The 2004 disc still plays back flawlessly to this day by the way). Finally, what message would you give to newbie burners so fools like myself don’t get caught into garbage brands like Datawrite (Datawrite… Never again! :a ) With excellent brands like Memorex, which have their mittens in tapes, VHS, iPod speakers, it makes me wonder that those looking for cheap, but good brands - They ALWAYS seem to be cheaper than other brands :stuck_out_tongue:

Luckily I still have some Plextor branded CDs (made in Japan :bow: ) :bigsmile:

Hey, sorry it took so long to get back to you, I fell asleep :o :doh:

Anyway, I reckon there ought to be a thread relating to good cheap optical disc brands - Particularly for those that don’t want to pay too much for discs or would like to use them as giveaways. Not all cheap media is garbage, and it would be good to filter through the garbage from the decent ones.

There are a lot of naff brands when, if you do your research, you can get better brands for exactly the same price. Case in hand, Datasafe or Maxell? (CMC vs Ritek discs) :wink:

I have to find a way to install plextools in Win 7… my plextor premium is collecting dust :doh:

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2579019]
Anyway, I reckon there ought to be a thread relating to good cheap optical disc brands[/quote]The main problem is, that most brands are simply “branding” stuff they buy from the various manufacturers. So, you never know what’s in the box you just acquired.
Additionally, there are several quality grades for blanks, depending on the production line they were made. I might be wrong, but I’d expect reputable brands like TDK selling higher grade media than the food supermarket with its house brand.

• Particularly for those that don’t want to pay too much for discs or would like to use them as giveaways.
    Well, at least here in germany, the price difference between “medium” quality brand discs like Maxell and no-name supermarket discs is really small. Talking about 1€ per 25pcs spindle. With some luck, you can find Verbies on sale for Maxell price.

Not all cheap media is garbage, and it would be good to filter through the garbage from the decent ones.

The only way to find out is to “buy and try”. And the next spindle might be totally different.

Datasafe or Maxell? (CMC vs Ritek discs) :wink:
Datasafe is unknown for me, so I’d opt for Maxells in that case :slight_smile: And for CMC vs. Ritek - I like both for CD-R.

Michael
P.S.: the cheapest discs I ever bought were MiT Verbatim DVD-R MCC03RG20 - 25pcs for 5 Euros :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2579087]The main problem is, that most brands are simply “branding” stuff they buy from the various manufacturers. So, you never know what’s in the box you just acquired.
Additionally, there are several quality grades for blanks, depending on the production line they were made. I might be wrong, but I’d expect reputable brands like TDK selling higher grade media than the food supermarket with its house brand.
Well, at least here in germany, the price difference between “medium” quality brand discs like Maxell and no-name supermarket discs is really small. Talking about 1€ per 25pcs spindle. With some luck, you can find Verbies on sale for Maxell price.
The only way to find out is to “buy and try”. And the next spindle might be totally different.
Datasafe is unknown for me, so I’d opt for Maxells in that case :slight_smile: And for CMC vs. Ritek - I like both for CD-R.

Michael
P.S.: the cheapest discs I ever bought were MiT Verbatim DVD-R MCC03RG20 - 25pcs for 5 Euros :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

You raise some interesting points Michael, so I will try and address them all. Of course, one of the main problem with brands like Memorex is they are prone to “outsourcing” - Something I didn’t realise when I was started burning like a… Burnaholic (Jesus :doh: ) in August 2010 backing up all of my VHS and cassette collection. onto CD and DVD respectively.

And, despite my condemation of CMC Magnetic media, they are starting to get my respect again because those that did actually burn on my Pioneer burner work alright - Those that did skip must have been because it was a burned on a very old Pioneer burner (Pioneer 109D I think?) which ideally doesn’t support 16x media - If at all.

I must have wasted AT LEAST 60 DVD-R and 20 CD-R - All CMC (Because they were all I got at the time, before wisely moving to RitekF1 dye) burned on that, and whilst I was slashing CMC for kack discs, I didn’t acknowledge that I had, infact, a faulty burner. I didn’t think it would be a problem as I always burn at 4x or 8x - Even 80 discs is an alarming failure rate for a old burner :eek:

(Edit, my now retired Pioneer burner is ideally optimised for 4x or 8x discs. Lord almighty :doh: )

Reason why I moved over to RitekF1 dye is because we don’t have a lot of money so we can’t afford a high failure rate, and the CMC dye, whilst great under certain brands, is a very sporadic dye - With the great dyes to ones that are absolute garbage. :Z :doh: Hence why I don’t trust them - But at least Ritek F1 is less readily available - and better - (based on the Fugi Oxolife dye, so you know it’s quality :bow: ) and can be got for similar prices.

Quite right though, buying and trying is probably the best thing for it. I bought my Memorex despite reading the onslaught of boycotts, and not for one minute do I regret it. Infact, they are the best discs I have ever used - Based on the Mosar Boar India dye.

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2578861]I found this burner on Amazon the other day, which is going so cheap I wanted to share it with the folks at Club MyCE. Might be perfect for anyone who is starting to build computers and wants a cheap but excellent burner, (I always buy the cheapest burner going :stuck_out_tongue: ) and considering it’s nearly 40% off, it’s a steal :slight_smile:

Regarding the burner, are you going to grab one? I have one and IMO it’s not the best drive LG have put out, even though it has a nice Renesas chip. :wink:

Not a crap drive, but nothing special either considering I fed mine Verbies (MII) and TY amongst other things, at various speeds…

Very nice price though, wish I’d paid that :eek::eek:

If you are going to snag one, I’d love to know what it makes of those Memorex discs (whatever MID they turn out to be…;)).

EDIT: Bit of a hijack :o - but if any fellow NS50 owners know how to get the best from this drive, and little tips I’m missing, make a post - might help future buyers of this drive too!

[QUOTE=Arachne;2579233]Regarding the burner, are you going to grab one? I have one and IMO it’s not the best drive LG have put out, even though it has a nice Renesas chip. :wink:

Not a crap drive, but nothing special either considering I fed mine Verbies (MII) and TY amongst other things, at various speeds…

Very nice price though, wish I’d paid that :eek::eek:

If you are going to snag one, I’d love to know what it makes of those Memorex discs (whatever MID they turn out to be…;)).

EDIT: Bit of a hijack :o - but if any fellow NS50 owners know how to get the best from this drive, and little tips I’m missing, make a post - might help future buyers of this drive too![/QUOTE]

At the moment I don’t need to get a new drive as I have a Phillips drive pulled from an old Packard Bell computer and a BenQ which a dear friend of mine had given me :iagree: anyway, it might not be the greatest drive in the world, but the price reflects that, but I’m sure it will be great for the people that just want to burn without all the needless frills.

You have this drive too? Great, would you be so kind to post a thread, or a reply on here, what the drive is like? I realise the drive won’t offer all the bells and whistles one double or treble the price might offer, I strongly disencourage anybody to buy a more expensive one when this one “just works”

Same reason, why buy a processor brand new when you can get a second hand one that just works? I bought my Socket 478 Intel Celeron 2.6GHz processor for £2.50 (free delivery on eBay :bigsmile: ) produced 8 years ago, and it just works. :slight_smile: I probably would have paid quadruple that for the same thing in a box - Not like anyone is going to see it, eh? :flower:

I know that Memorex media has been phenomenal and I would, IMO, rate them as the best budget concious media available. All but 4 of my discs work which was from a faulty burner as I said, only second to that would be Maxell. (Actually, if I had to choose, it would be Maxell, since at least I know Maxell discs will always be quality discs and always Ritek - Memorex whilst have been good to me apparently get bottom of the barrel media and varies. Had to choose, logic dictates Maxell :wink:

Yeah, I totally agree about the price making it ideal for a new/first build :iagree:

Regarding some experiences etc on the drive, when I plug it back in I’ll certainly return to this thread and maybe post some scans/opinions etc - after reading this thread earlier, I decided to reinstall it at some point and give it another go. :iagree:

Completely agree about the processor thing - as long as it works and does what you need it to do, it’s all good. Same with drives. :iagree:

Any updates on the LG Burner, Arachne?