On the fly recording from video input to DVD-R

vbimport

Is this doable on an average PC without using a whole lot of CPU power? I want to hook up a VHS VCR to my PC through video input and transfer to DVD-R on-the-fly.

A standalone DVD -R/W machine can tape on a DVD disc like a VCR and those thing don’t have multi gigahertz CPU, yet do it without a hitch.

When you try to encode an avi file to DVD using Nero Vision, it takes longer than the playtime of the video on a 2GHz Athlon machine AND it maxes out the CPU. Are PCs just horrendously inefficient at doing this or what?

standalones use hardware decoders, most PCs rely on softare decoders. hence the time difference. as to your vcr question, sorry, i have no idea if it’s “doable” :frowning:

Could use something like a HP dc4000. Can hook it to your tv, vcr, dvd player and record directly to the drive with a dvd +/- disc provided its not content protected. You dont even need a computer. It also can function as a 8x external dvd burner. May want to wait a few months as the dc5000 is coming out and will have 16x burning and dual layer capability. Keep in mind that recording directly to disc will not allow you to edit the movies. Yes video coding is one of the most cpu intensive things you can on a PC. Intels(which I am loathe to admit) are better than AMD at this task.

I thought the whole purpose of having a computer is that it’s very versatile and it’s got enough processing power advantage to be able to do just about everything without having to get proprietary hardware?

What’s the point of having a fast processor if it can’t really do diddly squat and have to depend on specialized hardware anyways?

get a tynan mobo with 2 xeons maybe ?

If I want to capture VHS video to PC I just capture it straight to mpeg using Pinnacle Studio 9 so I dont have to spend hours trying to encode a captured avi file to mpeg. It captures in real Time. After I edit it I copy it staright to DVD without the need to reencode it

If you build a dedicated machine to carry out one specific task, it can be made to do that task in an optimal manner, quickly and efficiently. It will then always out-perform a machine that was built to carry out many different tasks. That is a fact of life.

Yo-

What you need is a Analog to DV & DV to Analog Bi-Directional Converter - like a datavideo DAC-100

This gives you:
-real time conversion without dropped frames
-12 bit 32khz and 16 bit 48 khz audio encoding option
-IEEE 1394 DV interface
-compatable with DV (iLink); digital 8; video 8; Hi8; VHS; S-VHS; VHS-C; and S-VHS-C formats
-2 IEEE1394 connectors for DV IN or Out
-compatable with MAC; Win 98; ME; 2000 and XP
-NTSC and PAL system option

Cost less than $200 (also look on eBay)

Happy Burnin’

Mike

:sad:

In the end, I guess I’ll be getting more out by buying proprietary hardware to use with my Celeron 1GHz machine(the other rig) instead of upgrading that PC…