Olli: question regarding Subchannel reading

vbimport

At Cloneclinic it was recommended to avoid checking "extra" read options to create an image if you knew it was unnecessary as there was a "risk" of read error..yet the default settings on reader profile for my Liteon for example has default setting to allow for subchannel reading

Have I misunderstood and this reader profile only allows clonecd to use or read subchannel if this setting is set in the read imagefile settings...

As we know SD2 does not require subs but FES if supported is a big help for speed..but securom does need subs but does not need FES

Have I just made this too confusing a question..sorry

The bottom line is there a risk of having too many setting checked and thus screwing up a read and therefore an image profile

If the option to read SubChannel Data is checked but the game doesn’t have this data I see no reason why it could be harmful. The only option I always thought that could do damage is the ‘Intelligen Bad Sector Scanner’ which isn’t always Intelligent since it can cause to skip ‘healthy’ sectors. I’ve always ysed this option with care but the other options like SubChannel Data shouldn’t cause any harm.

I thought subchannel reading was a bit like audio sectors - where there are no accurate sector info. So many bad readers will have jitter just like audio.

Obviously, most of our drives would probably read them just fine most of the time - but just think? How would you know for sure that the subchaneel reading was perfect - until of ofcourse you played the game right till the end.

When there is no worthwhile subchannel info it is probably better to just let the hardware do the regeneration - but knowledge of copy prots & settings is confined to a small percentage of users.

To counter this, CloneCD v4 is setup to provide instant success - it includes subs & IBSS which are not harmful in 99.99% of cases.

However, I expect that we will still see the “PADDING BLOCKS” error as well as the “FAILED TO WRITE TO CDB” error when inappropriate subchannel selections are made in certain devices. Olli has talked about a subs-tweak that he has made which has made it much more user-friendly so these posts should be few and far between :wink:

Interesting info Futureproof…

I may just leave the settings on default and see how it goes…but it feels too easy then…I kinda like have to enter the settings…

Originally posted by nealh
[B]At Cloneclinic it was recommended to avoid checking “extra” read options to create an image if you knew it was unnecessary as there was a “risk” of read error…yet the default settings on reader profile for my Liteon for example has default setting to allow for subchannel reading

Have I misunderstood and this reader profile only allows clonecd to use or read subchannel if this setting is set in the read imagefile settings…
[/B]

The reason was simple: Subchannel reading was broken in CloneCD3, if the device didn’t get it right on the first try.
This has been fixed in CloneCD4, so reading of subchannel data is more “relaxed”. Only thing that could happen is, that you get a warning in your logbook, subchannel reading gets switched off and reading continues.

Exceptions from the rule:

1.) Some readers are very slow when reading subchannel data (Plextor Writers, for example), so you might want to switch it off to save some minutes read time.

2.) Some devices must be “kludged” into reading subchannel data (older SONY Writers, e.g. CRX-140 or Plextor 40x CD-ROM) with an “alternate read method”. On these devices reading subchannel data from data tracks should be avoided, if not absolutely necessary.

Wow … great info thank you very much for the reply…

well seems to me the easiest way to go is use the default game cd setting Olli has as a default…it should give excellent results…this assumes one does not have the desire to tinker a bit and set up there own settings…

I have say Olli is not only improve the quality of the product but is making much easier to produce a correct backup…easier for the first time user…nice job

I have said this many times before but the product support is excellent…best piece of software I have purchased to date bar none…

Thanks Olli…I sure hope you develop a mastering program as stand alone product or as a clonecd combo…if so count me and tell me where to send the purchase price

> Thanks Olli…I sure hope you develop a mastering program as stand alone product or as a clonecd combo…if so count me and tell me where to send the purchase price <

The mastering program is already in development for quite a while… but I don’t have any estimated release date yet.

But I have to warn you: the mastering program isn’t designed for the “hard core” burner. The design goal is to make it absolutely intuitive and simple to use without using wizards - which isn’t an easy task.

Nothing wrong with an easy to use reliable mastering program…I am not a hardcore burner…I burn a few audio cds,data cd…

I occasional will burn a .bin/cue file…but there are always other programs for this if you will not support…

I use Nero 5.5.8.0 and WinOnCD 5 and I am sure I am not using them to there maximal performance or uses…
basically list a few files and burn to cd…either or audio/data

I am sure others will need/want a more powerful program than I

Good Luck