Olli: Original author of CloneDVD -HELP-?

I have been trying to get a question answered from someone who might have an insight to CloneDVD 2… and I beleive you are probably the most knowledgable.

I have a question for anyone who uses CloneDVD2 and might know the answer to this. When I have a DVD that is on my HDD (put there by DVD Decrypter) and I am going to use CloneDVD2 to split the movie onto 2 dics with 100% quality (meaning no compression)… sometimes in the "log file’ I get the following message and sometimes I don’t:

Target size sufficient. Transcoding disabled.

What is transcoding? If each disc is only going to have 3.8 gigs on it… then it shouldn’t use compression, right. But sometimes I get the above and sometimes I don’t. It is random.

Example: Mystic River (36 Chapters = 7.3 gigs)

I am going to split it into 2 discs while keeping the menu system.
Disc 1: Chapter 1-18 (3.8 gig) with 100% on the bar
Disc 2: Chatper 19-36 (3.5 gig) with 100% on the bar

At this point it should say “Target size sufficient. Transcoding disabled” for both discs, but it doesn’t… which means it is compressing in some way. Why, since both discs are well under the limits even with the menus.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=99079

Hi,

sometimes CloneDVD needs to use the transcoder, but it actually doesn’t transcode… so the absence of the message “Target size sufficient. Transcoding disabled” does not always mean, that the video is transcoded.
Check the bitrate graph to really see, what is happening. (Sometimes half of the movie is transcoded to nothing :slight_smile: )
If the quality bar says 100%, the material is usually not transcoded.

On rare occasions the transcoder is used, while it shouldn’t (I recently noted this myself when splitting “the Godfather part I Region 2”. Armin can explain this better, but he’ll fix it really soon (right, Armin? :bigsmile: )

So… Transcoding = Compression? And even though sometimes it doesn’t show this message “Target size sufficient. Transcoding disabled” when the bar is at 100%… it is not compressing? It is more or less a glitch in the program. I just wanted to make sure that even though it does or doesn’t say Transcoding disabled… that as long as the bar is 100%… it isn’t compressing.

One other question… during writing, on the right side where the sheep animation is. The graphs… What is ORIGINAL and what is TRANSCODED? Is one showing the uncompressed data and the other compressed?

Because when I was doing Mystic River Disc 1: Chapter 1-18 (3.8 gig) with 100% on the bar, the graph showed only Transcoded with no Original. To me that would be no compression.

I am way confused and there is really no clear cut answer to the best of my knowledge.

> So… Transcoding = Compression? <
Yes.

> And even though sometimes it doesn’t show this message “Target size sufficient. Transcoding disabled” when the bar is at 100%… it is not compressing? <
Usually - yes.

> It is more or less a glitch in the program. <
Yes.

> I just wanted to make sure that even though it does or doesn’t say Transcoding disabled… that as long as the bar is 100%… it isn’t compressing. <
Yes.

> One other question… during writing, on the right side where the sheep animation is. The graphs… What is ORIGINAL and what is TRANSCODED? Is one showing the uncompressed data and the other compressed? <
Both graphs are overlapped in different colors. If it is not compressing, input = output, so you only see one graph.

> Because when I was doing Mystic River Disc 1: Chapter 1-18 (3.8 gig) with 100% on the bar, the graph showed only Transcoded with no Original. To me that would be no compression. <
Yes. That’s what you wanted, right? :wink:

Yes. I am not a fan of compression. I like to have a true 1:1 copy, other than splitting. Plus compression on my 55 inch HDTV looks not so good.

So on the graph… as long as I am only seeing TRANSCODED with no overlap of ORIGINAL… then I am getting a copy with NO COMPRESSION.

When there is an overlap of Original over the Transcoded = Compression?

So then as the graph terms are concerned, it is reversed… ORIGINAL shows the amount of compressed data and TRANSCODED shows that amount of non-compressed data… since on my Mystic River Disc 1: Chapter 1-18 (3.8 gig) the graph only showed Transcoded material.

Did I finally get all this right?

I guess then you use it for both Compressing and Splitting because of your earlier comment.