OLLI: CloneDVD/AnyDVD errors and suggestions

i rented closer from blockbuster, it was a rental dvd, not the retail one thats in the shops, it had arccos protection, i had the latest clonedvd 5.2.5.1 or something which added closer (uk) copying a few versions previously. i copied it fine, but once i put it in the drive after ejecting it anydvd read it like it reads all discs you put in and it brought up an error message, i ignored the error message and it plays properly using windvd, powerdvd etc and in standalone dvd player, just annoying that i got the error message.

suggestions:

*add making a dvd from a double sided disc, i had a double sided disc dvdrom which i got when dvds first came out, but i wanted to read both sides and create an iso of the whole movie and burn it to a dvdr (dvd5).

*add a checkbox to the error message popup when clonedvd cant read some sectors to carry on attempting to read it so you dont have to click retry loads of times, like dvddecrypter does about 15 retries then brings up error message, like blindwrite is for cd’s.

*add the ablilty to compress films studio’s trailer e.g the paramount thing thats about 30 secs at the beggining of the movie and the credits at the end. you should add the ability to add the beggining and end checkpoints for this and choose a custom bitrate for it e.g 2000 for the credits, this would mean the rest of the movie will have a higher bitrate.

hope you can add auto retries for the sector errors in next version and add support for dual sided discs in a future version once you figure out how to do it. ive been using dvdrental sites you see and most of the dvds are scratched, which often results in not being able to rip the dvd, it would be good if you improved the algorithm to something similar to what blindwrite has for copying scratched cd’s as that is 2nd to none. adding support for bitrate for credits and the studios trailer in a future version would be great too!

thanks olli, keep up the good work!!!

You don’t happen to remember what error message this might have been?
“An error message” says quite nothing… :frowning:

sorry, dont remember, there was quite a bit of writing, cant remember what it said unfortunately. you should rent this from blockbuster in the u.k so that the next version of anydvd dosent bring up this error.

Haha, good joke! :slight_smile:

i was actually being serious!

why wouldnt slysoft want their products to work with all available dvds?

hope you can add support for the suggestions i made in this topic too.

The original DVD didn’t show any error message. Why don’t you insert the copy again and tell us what the error message is?

stupid me!

a screenshot is attached with the error, hope its fixed in next version and hope you add the suggestions to clonedvd and anydvd.

ive tried it in both of my region free drives and get the error when using my nec 3520, not with my lite-on 5232k combo, both have latest hacked multi-region firmwares.

in anydvd information i get this with nec drive:

"Summary for drive E:
Drive (Hardware) Region: free

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-r (version 5), Layers: 1

Video DVD (or CD) label: CLOSER
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: PAL
Media is region free."

i get this longer one with my lite-on drive:

"Summary for drive E:
Drive (Hardware) Region: free

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-r (version 5), Layers: 1

Video DVD (or CD) label: CLOSER
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: PAL
Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 2!"

@ hajj_3,

You know maybe Olli though it was a joke that you would be asking how to copy a DVD that you don’t own. It is Illegal (especially in USA and UK) to make copy of a DVD that you have not purchased. I would not suggest to anyone to visit Blockbuster , rent a DVD, and then to make a copy of the DVD. You might find yourself in jail for such illegal activities.

Realistically it is virtually impossible to help you with your problem if you fail to provide any information on the Error Messages that were displayed when this problem occurred.

Also can you confirm exactly what versions of CloneDVD and AnyDVD that you using. You state you were using CloneDVD version 5.2.51 but the latest version number is 2.8.4.1 and fail to state what version AnyDVD you are using.

Best Regards,
bjkg

ive edited my post now.

by the way, i used 1 or 2 previous versions to the current version of anydvd and clonedvd when i copied this dvd. i am now using latest versions, this error displays in latest anydvd and it did with the version i copied it with at the time when i inserted it to check if it copied ok. when i put the disc in my lite on it is read instantly like it should and i dont get an error message, but in my nec it takes about 7-10 secs then i get the error message, then about 10-15 secs later anydvd icon goes to red and it displays in my computer.

When i use Clone Dvd it’s going fine until i get to the second stage where it is time to burn it to the blank dvd i keep getting a write errror, right at the begining, and i end up wasting a couple of blank dvd’s. Anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

Hi :slight_smile:
Need more info DVDRW / make / model & type of media

This is a read error. Probably a defective DVD-R media.

Using a newer software won’t make a read error go away.

@ anderson31175 and/or hajj_3,

The problem you are reporting is most likely caused by DVD media incompatibility between your DVD Burner and the particular DVD media you are using. If you are experiencing difficulty with your DVD media it is prudent to insure that your DVD Burner has the most current up to date firmware available for your DVD Burner installed.

To determine the current firmware of your DVD burner use a software utility similar to DVDInfo Pro (http://www.dvdinfopro.com/).

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks DVD Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61) for information on obtaining the latest firmware available for your particular DVD Burner. The folks at the CD DVD Forum are very knowledgeable and have developed various firmwares that optimize the full potential of your particular DVD burner.

If after installing the most current up to date firmware available for your DVD Burner your problem still exists you need to pursue obtaining known good reliable DVD media.

A little help in deciding which DVD media to use.

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks DVD Recorder Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61) for your particular DVD Burner and see which DVD Media other Forum members have reported that work for them.

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks Media Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33) and see which DVD Media other Forum members have reported as good reliable DVD media.

Suggest visiting the Video Help DVD Media List (http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia) and see what other users have reported about particular DVD Media.

Concerning the quality of DVD media. The saying “You Only Get What You Pay For” fully applies to DVD media. If the price is cheap the quality is also probably cheap. Remember most dropouts, freezing, skipping and other related problems can be traced to cheap, inferior, substandard DVD media.

Some problems caused by poor DVD media can be overcome by taking a couple actions. Slow down your burning speed. Limit all background activity while Burning DVDs including Ant-Virus programs. Defragment your Hard Drive (Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter). Check for Spyware by running Spybot-Search & Destroy (http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html)

Best Regards,
bjkg

Could it be the media that i’m using cause i just recently bought a 100 pack of fuji and i didn’t have any problems til i started using those.

@ anderson31175,

Please re-read my entire posting to you and especially note comments concerning your DVD Burner Firmware.

Also suggest that you actually view the referenced links concerning DVD Media and you would find that Fuji DVD Media is good reliable DVD Media. If you had if fact read the references you would not be asking about the quality of Fuji DVD Media.

I don’t mind providing assistance to you but when I take the time and effort to provide detail references on how to trouble shoot your problem and you do not have the curiosity to read the references doesn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Also saying you are using Fuji Discs does not fully describe the actual DVD Media you are using. To accurately describe your DVD media you need to provide the Manufacture ID and Media Code (Example- RitekG05). You can obtain the Manufacture ID and Media Code by using DVDInfo Pro (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) or similar software utility.

Best Regards,
bjkg

i wouldnt have thought it would be a defective dvdr, im using 8x datawrite printable discs, all the rest in this spindle have been perfect, i dont believe its a co-incidence that the only bad disc ive burnt is the only arccos protected disc ive copied, im almost certain its down to anydvd or clonedvd not copying the protected dvd properly.

my nec 3520 has latest hacked firmware from these forums and so does my lite-on cdrw/dvd combo. i think slysoft should get closer (uk) rental and experiment with the 3520 and lite-on 5232k drives reading from both of them and burning the discs and testing them.

I am absolutely sure that it isn’t a software problem because: