Older DVD+/-RW Doesn't Read DVD-Rs

Hello, I’ve been browsing around these forums searching for some information as to why this drive won’t read a blank DVD-R…

The drive is an old LiteOn SOHW-1633S, the firmware I started with was BGS4 – I’ve tried two others (CS0T (patched - crossflashing, multi-colored LED version) and Sony’s BYX4 (stock version)) and I got the same results. Windows (XP SP2) hangs and gives up finding it, and the software (ImgBurn 2.3.2.0 just reads ‘Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present)’.

The CD will spin up a little, make some noise, spin up a little more etc. etc. until finally it decides there’s no media in the drive, so apparently it doesn’t recognize these DVD-Rs (They are Memorex 16x max DVD-Rs).

This drive is outdated, but it’s usage has been pretty light (as far as I know no one’s ever even tried to burn a DVD with it). It reads CDs and retail DVDs (I only actually used it to read a PS2 DVD of Guitar Hero 2 ;), but it had no issues), but it will only write to CD-Rs…

So, my question is, is there a certain firmware setup I should give a shot? Maybe some different settings with the firmware? Or, is it possible it would have a better chance reading a different brand of media (I don’t want to waste any money buying different brands if I can’t use any of them in the end…)?

Or could I be most unfortunate and have a cooked drive?

Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=Subfix;1984735]Hello, I’ve been browsing around these forums searching for some information as to why this drive won’t read a blank DVD-R…

The drive is an old LiteOn SOHW-1633S, the firmware I started with was BGS4 – I’ve tried two others (CS0T (patched - crossflashing, multi-colored LED version) and Sony’s BYX4 (stock version)) and I got the same results. Windows (XP SP2) hangs and gives up finding it, and the software (ImgBurn 2.3.2.0 just reads ‘Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present)’.

The CD will spin up a little, make some noise, spin up a little more etc. etc. until finally it decides there’s no media in the drive, so apparently it doesn’t recognize these DVD-Rs (They are Memorex 16x max DVD-Rs).

This drive is outdated, but it’s usage has been pretty light (as far as I know no one’s ever even tried to burn a DVD with it). It reads CDs and retail DVDs (I only actually used it to read a PS2 DVD of Guitar Hero 2 ;), but it had no issues), but it will only write to CD-Rs…

So, my question is, is there a certain firmware setup I should give a shot? Maybe some different settings with the firmware? Or, is it possible it would have a better chance reading a different brand of media (I don’t want to waste any money buying different brands if I can’t use any of them in the end…)?

Or could I be most unfortunate and have a cooked drive?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Hi Subfix,

the point is that a BLANK media has no content on it, so it cannot be read even by a burner.
It can, however, be recognized by a burner (not by a player).

Use Nero cd dvd speed, insert the media and click on disc info.

Also, windows has no dvd (burn) support. Just use Nero or imgburn and burn your stuff onto dvd.

Your drive is a DualBurner, IIRC.
By any chance, is incd or Alcohol installed?

Ehm, I was reading around and I found a thread about a guy with a Sony DW-D22A which is apparently a rebadged LiteOn SOHW-1633S that wouldn’t write to Memorex DVDs. However, he could actually detect the disc and start the burning before it would error out and fail.

Is it worth trying Verbatim if I can’t even get that far?

:confused:

Err, ImgBurn doesn’t detect the disc in the drive what-so-ever, so it will not allow me to begin burning.

[quote=chef;1984743]Your drive is a DualBurner, IIRC.
By any chance, is incd or Alcohol installed?[/quote]

By DualBurner do you mean Double Layer?? If so, yes…
And no, I don’t have Alcohol installed… just ImgBurn at the moment.

I had one of these drives and they will not burn -R media faster than 8X and +R at 16X.
When I got mine 8x media was fairly new and there was no 16x at all.

Good luck finding firmware that will let you burn 16x -R but the best thing to do would be to take the 16x -R media back and exchange it for +R media.

The one I had seemed to like +R media better. usually got better and more consistant burns with +R media.

Even with the 16x media you will probably need burn at 8x to get the best disc quality.

I’ve had best luck with Verbatim 16x and Fuji 16x. Almost all of the other 16x media I’ve tried was dreadful but I’ve not tried any 16x TY yet.

Actually, I would be happy to be able to just burn at 4x!
The drive basically times out when I put a DVD-R disc in it… all software will finally end up saying there is no disc in the drive.

I think I might go buy a different brand today and see if I have any luck… hopefully it’ll work, otherwise I’ll have a bunch of useless DVD-Rs laying around :iagree:

Maybe you can test it in another computer to find out if it is the drive, cable, media or an connection problem.

Unfortunately I’m visiting my parents and this is their only PC.

I went out and bought some Sony DVD-Rs, and Nero/ImgBurn is actually detecting the disc finally.

However, when I start burning I get the “Power Calibration Error” and it fails. This is on both a 8x burn and a 4x burn.

In the log file I do see this:

Media Specific [16..63]:
      00 60 00 10 20 30 40 50 - 00 00 00 21 00 00 00 00    .`...0@P...!....
      00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00    ................
      00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00    ................

Now, does this mean the media isn’t supported by the firmware? It’s not all 00’s so I’m not too sure on that one…

DMA is enabled… so I guess I’ll just try some different firmwares, I’m using BYX5 (stock) right now…

What a pain.

The drive cannot recognize that media.

Have you tried with imgburn?

Yeah, ImgBurn returns this in the log:

W 14:14:39 Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - Power Calibration Area Error
W 14:14:39 Retrying (1 of 20)…
I 14:14:39 Writing LeadIn…
I 14:15:04 Writing Image… (LBA: 0 - 310936)
W 14:15:18 Failed to Write Sectors 1376 - 1407 - Write Error
W 14:15:18 Retrying (1 of 20)…

Shows other 19 attempts

E 14:15:29 Failed to Write Sectors 1376 - 1407 - Write Error
I 14:15:29 Synchronising Cache…
E 14:15:30 Failed to Write Image!
E 14:15:30 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:01:47

The firmware I’m using now is from a Sony DRU-710A so that would leave me to believe that’s it’s not a firmware issue, you would think Sony firmware would support Sony media, therefore is must be an issue with the drive itself?

Mh, does imgburn recognize the media correctly by MID, supported speeds etc?
Also, at which speed have you tried?

Yes, ImgBurn returns a result for Manufacture ID, along with some other information:

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2,297,888
Free Space: 4,706,074,624 bytes
Free Time: 510:40:38 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x

Pre-recorded Information:
Manufacturer ID: SONY16D1

All of the burns I’ve been doing now are solely at 4x.

Ok, I’ve possibly made some headway here.

I tried to do a 1x burn in ImgBurn and did not receive the “Power Calibration Error”. So, maybe something internally is wired wrong for the drive’s power source… but, I don’t mind burning at 1x at the moment, I just want to get a disc burnt successfully.

However, this time I got this:

I 14:49:12 Filling Buffer… (20 MB)
I 14:49:13 Writing LeadIn…
W 14:50:24 Failed to Write Sectors 32 - 63 - Command Sequence Error
W 14:50:24 Retrying (1 of 20)…
W 14:50:24 Retry Failed - Command Sequence Error

Other 19 Attempts Here

E 14:50:35 Failed to Write Sectors 32 - 63 - Command Sequence Error
I 14:50:35 Synchronising Cache…
E 14:50:36 Failed to Write Image!
E 14:50:36 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:01:24

EDIT