Old School Sesame Street No Longer Safe For Kids

No wonder all the generations since it’s existence are messed up.:iagree: It contradicts everything we teach our kids today.:frowning:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/magazine/18wwln-medium-t.html

Yes it is funny how over the past few years we humans are beginning to learn a few things. Like smoking is bad for for you just maybe we will learn that wars like the one little bush got us into are wrong to SOMEDAY

What will these fucktards of the rating boards come up with next time?

I flippi’ love old school Seasme street, and the muppet show - watched them all the time.
People at the ratings board obviously haven’t got enough adult content to complain about to keep them out of trouble.
(Besides they obviously don’t know that Elmo is a male crack whore :iagree:)

Very nice ironic and sarcastic tone–well-employed in the article to quite rightly poke fun at obvious buffoons for such a ‘warning’ to today’s children.

While I won’t attempt to reinvent the wheel, given the author of the article slammed every so-called ‘danger’ to ‘modern kids,’ I will say this kind of ‘warning’ is quite ironic indeed, much akin to the Biblical concept of times where people on the whole call ‘evil good and good, evil.’ This is especially true with shows such as the Simpsons that (among other things) advocate incredibly immature and unbecoming behavior from adults (Homer telling his boss to “eat my shorts”) to the phenomenon I called the “Simpsonification of America” where a character such as Bart symbolizes the “underachiever and PROUD OF IT!!!” mentality, the exact thing the U.S. as a whole personifies (oddly enough something that was beginning to be seen shortly after the Simpsons aired). You had a show like Beavis and Butthead where all kinds of gross behavior was seemingly acceptable (by calling it ‘comedy’)–which even extended to a video game, where one part of it was called “hock a loogie.” This doesn’t even mention the likes of South Park, where one character is repeatedly killed and cursing is commonplace (yet it’s seen by far too many junior high and younger kids). There are plenty of other ‘modern,’ truly pernicious examples for our children, yet Sesame Street is the one tapped as “inappropriate” for kids to watch? How odd that shows that forced kids to think a little (along with Captain Kangaroo, Electric Company and truly educational and fun productions like “Schoolhouse Rock”) are the ones potentially on the “modern no watch” list for children. With this kind of example as evidence of the rapid collapse of the U.S. (to say nothing of the death of truly intellectual/respectful discussion, real innovation and creativity), it’s not a question of when, but rather how much longer?

I grew up on Road Runner, Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Woody Woodpecker and Popeye cartoons and I came out just fine. I do find I will laugh hysterically when someone is shot with a machine, drinks a glass of water and then the water shoots out the bullet holes and the person looks like a fountain. Personally, I think this is a small price to pay for growing up with such good cartoon entertainment. :wink:

I watched sesame street when I was a kid … admittedly, after 1980 … and I grew up fine :stuck_out_tongue:

The whole discussion about kiddy shows is a joke. Just like the claim that antibacterial cleaning products will help your kids health. I recall events in history … entire races were wiped out by infections they hadn’t been exposed to before.

It’s a parents responsibility to raise their children, not the TV’s.

Okay, umm…WHAT?! :confused:

Anyone want to explain how this makes sense???

I watched Roseanne when I was younger…and I came out quite fine, thanks to my parents. I also watched all the kiddie shows they say are bad now.

Granted, if something serious comes up, I laugh at it so I can deal with it, but…eh. What else happens after watching a coyote get mashed by an anvil and pop up like an accordion? :stuck_out_tongue: [BTW, if common sense doesn’t tell you that that can’t occur in real life, then you have problems that didn’t stem from watching cartoons and Sesame Street…]

This is completely laughable, but if the truth is known and research were conducted on how many people would read that linked report and believe it, I’m certain the results would be eye-opening and likely quite shocking.

The fact is the average “Joe Sixpack” on the street these days doesn’t bother to research and discover the truth behind what he hears. I’m reminded of this quote that demonstrates this attitude quite well:

“[FONT=Verdana][B]Public opinion is a compound of folly, weakness, prejudice, wrong feeling, right feeling, obstinacy, and newspaper paragraphs[/B].” --Sir Robert Peel[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]There are far too many blindly swallowing whatever one hears on the “tow-the-line” normal network American evening news, so it wouldn’t surprise me one bit how many would think the above “report” was something to pay attention to.[/FONT]

And of course, america being as overly-litigous as it is, how many people would find it financially compelling to believe the article? :slight_smile:

Can I bash America too?

go ahead and bash away little bush had made us look so bad already

But where would you start? The myriad of choices is overwhelming!

No doubt about the overly litigious nature of things in America that someone could potentially sue. Oddly enough however, if they chose to and could prove damage to their reputation (Sesame Street–if the so called ‘warning’ adversely impacted sales/profits, etc), that would be sufficient standing to prosecute for libel. Based on how ridiculous the claim is and how soundly it was debunked and poked fun at, it will likely just get the scoffing it deserves and be written off as a “crackjack conclusion.”

if this were turned in to a bash america thread im with debro on this one

But where would you start? The myriad of choices is overwhelming!

as the thread now stand i find these few sentences quite comical.

Back then — as on the very first episode, which aired on PBS Nov. 10, 1969 — a pretty, lonely girl like Sally might find herself befriended by an older male stranger who held her hand and took her home. Granted, Gordon just wanted Sally to meet his wife and have some milk and cookies, but . . . well, he could have wanted anything. As it was, he fed her milk and cookies. The milk looks dangerously whole.

Live-action cows also charge the 1969 screen — cows eating common grass, not grain improved with hormones. Cows are milked by plain old farmers, who use their unsanitary hands and fill one bucket at a time. Elsewhere, two brothers risk concussion while whaling on each other with allergenic feather pillows. Overweight layabouts, lacking touch-screen iPods and headphones, jockey for airtime with their deafening transistor radios. And one of those radios plays a late-’60s news report — something about a “senior American official” and “two billion in credit over the next five years” — that conjures a bleak economic climate, with war debt and stagflation in the offing.